Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Living in a basement

malky800

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 12:50 pm
I have 2 kids, under the age of 2 and currently live in a 2 bedroom basement. We are a little squishy by manage b'h nicely. Someone mentioned to me, that children can not develop properly in a cramped area.
Does anyone know anything about this?

JMto2

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 12:55 pm
that is not true there are plenty of people that live in a smaller apartment with more kids and they develope fine. It depends on the situation in the home and how the mother deals with it.

rosehill

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 12:59 pm
OK, I'll put my OT hat on, and tackle this.
Firstly, don't believe everything people tell you. Our grandparents grew up in far worse conditions than most present day basements, and managed to achieve their developmental milestones.
If I were you, I would make a special effort to make sure the children have the opportunity to play outside as often as possible. Wrap them up in the winter, hydrate them in the summer, and let them run and play whenever you can.
The one thing I would be concerned about, is to make sure your basement does not have mould, or excess dust or dampness, as these can have effects on health.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 2:21 pm
Plenty of people live in basements! How about first floor apts where the kids' bedrooms are downstairs!

HelloEverybody

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 4:15 pm
malky did you ask these people what they meant by it. We don't have such large living quarters either, but I don't think it's an issue for their growth. My children get out every day practically (maybe once a month they dont) and we get a TON of fresh air and run in open land and when its cold we go to library or other indoor activities with space for kids. As long as you're kids aren't stuck in the home 24/7 and they get out a lot, I think it's fine. But I'm no professional, I just see my children and how much they thrive in summer when there is much more outdoors than in winter.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 4:44 pm
I'm sure if it's a well ventilated place you'll be fine!

Tefila

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 4:58 pm
Quote:
Someone mentioned to me, that children can not develop properly in a cramped area.
Does anyone know anything about this?

WHHHHHHAAAT Rolling Eyes How do people in Israel who have nine kids and are cramped up manage, how did we manage in the ghetto in years gone by etc guess what we made do and produced great results if I may say so look at great tzaddikim who grew up that way too.

Also ever heard of the outdoors Tongue Out sure some adults could go insane, but kids neh they can develop nicely and boy do they have an imagination to come up with ways to do things even in cramped surroundings.
As long as you r positive so will they be but beware the sec they hear mommy or daddy say oy it's too small..... guess what your little parrot will say Wink

chen

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 11:41 am
Hmmmm....considering that Abe Lincoln (aka "Stretch", "Longshanks" and "Stringbean") spent his childhood in a log cabin (if you've never seen one, they were no bigger than an average living room and often smaller than that)...that remark is utter nonsense.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 11:54 am
chen, I don't see how untendered wildnerness comapres to a city basment!

chen

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 1:05 pm
the house, my dear--the house. he grew up in a tiny little house. so you live in a tiny apartment--you never heard of city parks and playgrounds? or even, heaven help us--the sidewalk? You think all those NBA players grew up in mansions or on the African veldt? I got news for you--a lot of them grew up in tiny tenement apts, too. didn't seem to stunt their growth any.

we won't argue the relative merits of city living vs. untamed wilderness living, because that is not what OP was asking. she was asking if it's true that living in small quarters will stunt her children's growth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics