Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Over eating

amother

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 10:03 pm
what constitutes an over eating disorder? do you have to be fat?

cindy324

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 10:08 pm
I would imagine that overeating would cause one to be fat, usually.

Unless one eats to the point of throwing up, then yes, that would be a problem , too.

red sea

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 9:42 am
no, its possible to have that and not be fat

chen

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 11:14 am
No. bulimia aka binge-and-purge is a disorder in which a person overeats and then makes herself throw up and/or takes huge quantities of laxatives to expel the food from the body. Sounds like a great way to be able to eat and not gain weight, but it is a very dangerous game that can be life-threatening.

there are other kinds of eating disorders, too, such as eating only one or two kinds of food.

chen

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 11:18 am
also not everyone who is fat is suffering from an "eating disorder", which is a mental illness. some people just suffer from "disordered eating" (my term), which is not at all the same thing. To treat an eating disorder you have to treat the underlying psychological problem, because the problem is really not the eating or lack thereof. With "disordered eating," it IS the eating that's the problem, and can be corrected through conventional means such as nutritional education, awareness, and so on.

Of course, in both eating disorders and disordered eating, the lightbulb has to WANT to change.

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 11:43 am
Maybe I should just have all my teeth pulled and get dentures! Do you think that then I won't have a sweet tooth anymore? With me, it's not psychological, not rooted in some emotional issues, it's plain physical - my sweet teeth are yelling to be satiated!!! Crying Crying

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 11:55 am
I think my tongue is actually the problem! really.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 12:30 pm
Quote:
"eating disorder", which is a mental illness

I dont think so. its something once can learn to control.

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 12:38 pm
Quote:

Chen would you maybe like to reclassify this or elaborate on what you mean by mental ilness?

chen

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 12:55 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:

I dont think so. its something once can learn to control.

a mental illness doesn't mean it can't be controlled.

chen

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 1:00 pm
Not what I mean--what the DSM Manual (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) means.
see for example http://www.clevelandclinicmede.....g.htm

or http://www.poppink.com/dsmiv/1.html

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 1:08 pm
Chen in the first site you linked there is no mention of overeating - obesity as a mental illness. They only list Anorexia and Bulimia. In the second link you gave it did the same and I copied this from the site

" Simple obesity is included in the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) as a general medical condition, but does not appear in DSM-IV because it has not been established that it is consistently associated with a psychological or behavioral syndrome. "

It seems like eating dissorders most generaly are classified as anorexia and bulimia. Sure overeating can be linked with emotional issues but so is nail biting or other bad habits people can't seem to kick.

chen

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 1:48 pm
Ambassador-to-KJ wrote:
Chen in the first site you linked there is no mention of overeating - obesity as a mental illness. They only list Anorexia and Bulimia. In the second link you gave it did the same and I copied this from the site

" Simple obesity is included in the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) as a general medical condition, but does not appear in DSM-IV because it has not been established that it is consistently associated with a psychological or behavioral syndrome. "

It seems like eating dissorders most generaly are classified as anorexia and bulimia. Sure overeating can be linked with emotional issues but so is nail biting or other bad habits people can't seem to kick.

That's exactly what I said, if not in quite such scholarly terms: there are "eating disorders" like anorexia and bulimia, which are mental illnesses, and "disordered eating" which is not a mental illness. sorry if you thought I was implying that disordered eating is a mental illness. No such implication was intended--on the contrary, my point was that being overweight does NOT necessarily imply that you have a mental disorder. (And not even mentioning the medical disorders that can lead to overweight, which are a whole separate issue. )

Fulloflove

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 10:31 pm
I know someone thin with this problem. She seeks help from over eaters annonymous. Program seems to be helping her. Good luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise