Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Thrift/vintage shops

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 9:10 pm
DDhas gotten very into them, and today we went on a bit of a wallking jaunt in NYC to check some out.

Who knew it would be so cold..and rain so much!

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 9:12 pm
It seems very popular these days. It's because people want to look rustic.

RedVines

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 9:19 pm
I love thrift stores...

we have 2 here: ritzy rags and designers encore!

I have a great skirt I bought for $2 7 years ago and still get compliments on it!

cindy324

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 9:52 pm
Sara, did you find any good stores? If yes please post the names and locations, I'd love to check them out! I love vintage clothes!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 9:59 pm
Cindy, I think they're all good.

We got school supplies at a Goodwill around 6th & 22nd. They had kiddie toys, tons of books, and many career and dressy clohtes.

Across the street they had a two floor antique/vintage clothes type sale (it's only weekends) and it's furs, furniture, jewelry, crystal..

We've also been to and liked 6th avenue near 19th Street. She got two skirts for under $10 there.

DD has tons of places to check out; I'll let you know.

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 10:03 pm
When I was a kid my parents were on a tight budget and we always shopped at thrift shops. In those days they dind't have low price stores like old navy. People either went to department stores and got sales or to second hand stores. Now that they have all these low price stores I think it makes new clothing affordable for everyone. Nowadays people go to thrift or vintage shops because it's "In style" and has nothing to do with the affordabillity of clothes.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 10:14 pm
I don't think I'm taking anything away from someone else by shoppign there.

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 10:27 pm
SaraG wrote:
I don't think I'm taking anything away from someone else by shoppign there.

Huh?

cindy324

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 11:19 pm
My hubby was dressing up as a 70's type of guy for Purim, including afro wig, aviator sunglasses, "Saturday night fever" type blue velvet suit. He needed a BIG collared shirt to go with it. sure enough he found it in a thrift shop in Chelsea. I believe it was on 14th Street and maybe 8th ave. Cost about $7 and went perfectly with his suit!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 10:34 am
I mean, these stores charge regular prices. They're not - hey, come in, fillup a bag for a dollar.

That's what I mean, they're not for needy individuals.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 10:37 am
There's a place in Williamsburgh, I can't remember what it's called. But it's expensive vintage. It's basically the same stuff you'd find at Goodwill, but they up the price a little bit more, they make it a little more exclusive, and then they get the rich folks to shop there too.

chen

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 10:48 am
Some "thrift" shops are really high end and not a venue for poor people at all. Yah, if you normally spend $600 for a skirt and can get one for $150--what a steal! For me, I'd like to get a skirt for under $10.

I haunt my local Goodwill, both for Purim costume material and for actually wearing. Unfortunately, they seem to have mainly 100% wool skirts, or suede skirts, or silk skirts--all of which require dry cleaning. Not my thing at all. Last time I was there they had absolutely stunning 100% silk blouses from Thailand or some such place--with the funny pagoda-like sleeves--for under $5. But since they'd have to be dry-cleaned every time they're worn I decided to pass.

Goodwill and I have a revolving-door relationship: I buy stuff from them, and then eventually donate it back to them if it's not going to go to friends or a gmach.

BTW does anyone know if it's permissible to donate or buy from Salvation Army or other religious group thrift shops?

Annie

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 11:18 am
I was told we couldn't buy from or donate to Salvation Army since their profits from the thrift store go to their "missions."

That said, there are a few second hand kids clothing stores that I go to, but I don't always find things. The nice thing is that even though I could get a $5 shirt at Wal Mart or Old Navy (on sale), the second hand store stuff is usually better quality and it will last longer.

My dd has a dress that I bought her second hand that's a brand name and she's worn it for almost 3 years. Now it's too short, and I'm thinking about adding a ruffle on it or something so she can keep wearing it. It's in great condition. One of the dresses I bought for her at Target (which was inexpensive, but not super cheap), wore out in one season.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics