Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Openminded chareidi girls high school
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Mirchrude

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 1:23 pm
I know of a family that wants to make aliyah very very badly. The only thing holding them back is their teenage daughter. They worry that she will have a very hard time making friends (being that she is on the quiet side) and doing well in school (she is currently one of the top students in her class, but with the language barrier, it will grealty affect her academic succes). Does anyone know of any high schools in yerushalaim that have a lot of americans as well or that is geared for english speakers? It should be chareidi, but openminded. Thanks!

lkwdmommy

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 1:36 pm
I don't know of any such school. (Not that I live in Yerushalayim, but I get the impression that Israeli high schools and open-mindness are oxyomorons)

I do know of a family with a high school girl that made Aliyah. They sent their DD to Sem in England (Gateshead, I think) and thereby avoided adjustment problems with her. MIght that work for them as well?

cinnamon

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 2:09 pm
Are they opened to live anywhere but yerushalaim? afaik there are more opened minded (modern) schools in central israel - ramat gan, petach tikva, tel aviv

sped

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 2:29 pm
They should probably think long and hard about making the move. There really aren't any good BY schools like that, and adjusting at that age is really not simple in any case.

Seraph

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 2:33 pm
Does she need really bais yakov bais yakov? Because Beit Shulamit is where a lot of modern yeshivish who make aliya send their daughters.

Mirchrude

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 2:43 pm
lkwd, I dont think that would be an option, the girl would not want to be away from her parents.
Everyone else, what about regular chareidi with americans and or geared to english speakers? forget the openminded. Are there still any options?

sped

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 2:57 pm
AFAIK, not any good ones.

Marz613

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 3:00 pm
Ko Tamar in Ramat Beit Shemesh. A bunch of girls commute from Yerushalayim every day. It's just a better school for them. BUT I would not make Aliya with a child that age, that's a recipe for disaster!

freidasima

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 3:10 pm
Agreed. Wait until she can go to sem and then come. My parents did that and it was very good.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 3:14 pm
http://www.yta.org.il/girls/
http://www.gmaxjerusalem.com/

These are not charedi but are for english speakers, so check them out. Maybe they can work out.

Mirchrude

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 3:23 pm
marz613, wat type is ko tomar?

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 4:35 pm
Marz613 wrote:
Ko Tamar in Ramat Beit Shemesh. A bunch of girls commute from Yerushalayim every day. It's just a better school for them. BUT I would not make Aliya with a child that age, that's a recipe for disaster!

Ko Tomar is no longer "open minded". Things have changed. My niece went to interview there because she was looking for something more open minded and the principal talked her out of it and told her she'd be miserable there. She wound up going to some new seminary in Bet Shemesh (nail polish allowed, loose dress code etc.) If someone wants the name I can ask my sister.

raspberry tea

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 4:39 pm
How old is she???

ckk

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 4:54 pm
Ive also heard of that american school in beit shemesh. Ive heard great things about it but it all depends what you mean by "open minded". That term id very relative..

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 4:55 pm
Ko Tomar is not open minded in principle, but it does have lots of new American olot, and from what I hear, the girls are happy. Talk to parents and students - what they say about the way things are may be different from what the principal says. We interviewed each other ;-) and it was a mutual "no". But many girls say they like the school. There is no dorm (yet) and the principal wants out of town girls to live with very Chareidi local families.

If they want BY but what is considered a little more modern, check out:

BY Harav Kook in Yerushalayim
BY Petach Tikva
BY Netanya
Afikei Daat in Yerushalayim
Lustig in Netanya

I think the last two on the list are the most modern. But things can change even every year.

Note that none of my daughters went to these schools. I can't find exactly what I want, so I send to very chareidi BY high schools. There are pros and cons.

Chocoholic

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 5:28 pm
Chareidi schools in Israel and American "open mindedness" are mutually exlusive IMHO.

I think the best option would be for her to stay in the US until she graduates and then go to sem in Israel.

Mirchrude

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 7:24 pm
thanx everyone for your replies. The girl is very yeshivish as in family has no tv, father wears white shirt black hat.. Girls dress very tznius . what I meant in openminded was not the chareidi chareidi type in Israel that think that sitting in kollel forever is the only and right way of life,( although now that I think of it, the school that this girl is in now, is pretty much like that -its probably the most yeshivish school in flatbush). so basically, regular chareidi is okay, but geared for olim. I checked nefesh benefesh and found a few chareidi schools in yerushalayim and ramat beit shemesh. If anyone knows anything about them, please let me know. Beit yaakov Batya (dupark), Beit Yaakov Illit (Areset), Olamot, Beer Miriam, Ko tomar.

Dimpled

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 3:41 am
one thing you should take into consideration is whether the school provides Bagruts or not (Israeli regents), most Bais Yaakov's do NOT, and then the girls have no choice but to go into teaching or graphic design b/c those are their only options...
very few high school in Yerushalayim have them (such as Dupark), but it is more common and more acceptable in the bnei-brak, petach-tikvah Bais Yaakov high schools.
It depends really what she wants to do in the future- if she plans on getting a University degree she can go to any place that calls itself a Bais Yaakov (if it does- then it is) and has Bagruyot (if it does- it's open minded), but if not- any "seminar". The average Bais Yaakov high school is fine as far as the girls are concerned (Afiki Daat, Kuk, can't think what else)]
Hatzlacha!!!

kalsee

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 3:52 am
sounds like ko tomar would be a good match. It is chareidi and getting more and more every year, but it's a very warm place and the many people I know who go there are very happy. About 50-60% English speaking.

Dupark became very French lately, so it's probably not a good match.

cinnamon

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 4:34 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Lustig in Netanya

Lustig is in ramat gan (ramat chen to be exact) and though it is opened minded (read modern) it is not geered twoards americans at all. they do have a full bagrut.
I know some of the girls that will be going there next year (nineth grade) and a few of them spent summers in american sleepaway camps (chedva, shira, rannenu) so they should know some english. I would imagine there are girls who wpent summers in america in different grades as well.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions