Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
City mini/micro vs valco baby ion??

amother

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 9:39 pm
Will IYH need this for an 18 mos old and a newborn. I'm most interested in easiest fold, convenience for a car/suburban lifestyle, lightest weight, and narrowest width. I have an uppababy, and while I love it dearly in some ways, the fold is dreadful and I hate taking it in and out of the car.
Thanks everyone.

JustPlainMe

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 10:27 pm
I have the Valco Ion and Love it! it wheels easy, is compact and comfortable for the kids. It folds very easy and fast. It has a big basket and the handle/bar is adjustable and great to push. I love the single hood idea and it has a built in sun protector extension that is great too. as an overall I think it's a great carriage.

Citi mini cons which made me go for the Valco:
almost impossible to access the basket
non adjustable bar
seats were very shaky
rain cover not included and costs additional $60
front bar is only optional for additional $40.

I wish you best luck to make the right decision that will best fit your needs.
B'shaa tova!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 8:50 am
I have the ion double in black. I am looking to sell mine. It was used very little and is in excellent condition. I just don't need it anymore. I loved it. It folds up berry easily, is very light weight and has an amazing basket. I bought it for those reasons since the city mini didn't offer those features. It also very easy to wheel and more comfortable for the kids than the city mini. If you are interested call me at 9176928191.

JustPlainMe

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 9:07 am
JustPlainMe wrote:
I have the Valco Ion and Love it! it wheels easy, is compact and comfortable for the kids. It folds very easy and fast. It has a big basket and the handle/bar is adjustable and great to push. I love the single hood idea and it has a built in sun protector extension that is great too. as an overall I think it's a great carriage.

Citi mini cons which made me go for the Valco:
almost impossible to access the basket
non adjustable bar
seats were very shaky
rain cover not included and costs additional $60
front bar is only optional for additional $40.

I wish you best luck to make the right decision that will best fit your needs.
B'shaa tova!

ETA: I also bought the carriage second hand off this site. (It was in a brand new condition)

amother

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 11:48 am
thanks! I am leaning towards the ion, just needed some second opinions!. How is it with getting in and out of the car. If I'm not using it in a primarily walking place (ie the city) is it worth it? Is there any way I could get away with a single for 6 months with an 18 mos old, till the new baby is big enough to go in a double umbrella? I just don't want to invest in another huge stroller that is great, but not suited to car use.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 11:52 am
amother- I would love to buy it off you if a) I lived in NY and b) the baby was already born lol. I will post in this thread when the babe is born (got a long way to go, just doing some premature homework) in case you still have it, as I may give birth in NY

wtvr

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 12:01 pm
How big is it folded? I'm looking for a double, but I really need something that convenient for in and out of the car, and doesn't take up the whole trunk.

How much are you selling it for?

raspberry tea

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 1:42 pm
City mini is easy to fold, but heavy, big and bulky!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 1:53 pm
wtvr wrote:
How big is it folded? I'm looking for a double, but I really need something that convenient for in and out of the car, and doesn't take up the whole trunk.

How much are you selling it for?

I tried out quite a few carriages before purchasing the city mini. I have a very small car and I had to remove the wheels of the ion(came off with the push of a button) as it protruded a bit. The city mini is a dream for in and out of the car. It folds in a flash and can be opened with one hand. As for the shaky seats, I got mine by berkowitz in bp- she inserted a long piece of cardboard in the opening in back and it's much more supportive that way.

spring13

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 6:04 pm
Have you looked at the Valco Latitude? I have the single, which I purchased as an alternative to the City Mini, and LOVE it. It has an adjustable handlebar, a sturdier easier to reach basket, and slightly nicer wheels. It feels sturdier overall to me. Plus, it comes with the bumper bar, a footmuff, and a raincover, so you don't have to buy those separately. it compares favorably in terms of size when folded (I looked at them side-by-side in the store). the only major con is that the fold is hard compared to the Mini, which is abnormally easy.

I haven't tried out the double, but I assume it is similarly useful. I haven't tried out an Ion, so I can't compare them directly, but the Latitude is also cheaper, if you're concerned about $.

if you want to avoid another big stroller purchase though, have you considered getting a good baby carrier? those are especially awesome when you have an infant, and allow you to keep using a single for your older child until the umbrella works for both. I love my stroller, but I wear my 15 month old still, and sometimes its actually more convenient. when she was tiny, taking her out of the carseat for shopping ro whatever didn't actually cause problems because she was happy to go back to sleep against my chest. I even wore her in shul, and she was happy as a clam.

I'm kind of a babywearing nerd, but it is something to consider - a top-shelf baby carrier costs less than a double stroller. if you want to know about brands, check out http://www.theportablebaby.com.....html, or ask in Natural Parenting, where there are lots of people with experience.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 7:56 pm
The citi mini seats are quite saky ad non sturdy even with the support backing.
The valco latitude is a horrid carriage. Very klutzy and extremely hard to push!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics