Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Glitter (with glue) on clothing.

canada

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 9:56 pm
How do I get glitter glue off clothing?

I washed the dress already, but it didn't come of at all.

out of town rebbitzen

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 11:05 pm
try soaking in detergent/water, agitate it and wash again. don't put in the dryer though. good luck! also I've never done this but I've heard that "fantastik" takes out stains. maybe you could try it on a small part to see if it works.

pickle

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 11:18 pm
I have never had success getting that kind of stuff out of clothing (glitter glue, puffy paint, etc.). I would love to know if you find something that works.

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 10:22 am
Home washing won't do it. Take to a dry cleaners and tell them what it is.

canada

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 11:13 am
zaq, you ever tried the cleaners for something like this? If it's tried and true (and they won't discolor it), then I would definitely try a dry cleaners.

Laughing Bag!

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 1:09 pm
I would try rubbing it gently with stain remover and scrub brush/tooth brush I use shout/resolve or naturebright

goodluck Smile

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 1:31 pm
nope, never tried dry cleaners, but glitter glue and fabric paint are paints and are meant to be permanent. You can't remove them through home methods. Sometimes you can pull the stuff off, if it's a blob on the surface and not embedded in the fibers. But if it's rubbed in and trapped in the fibers, forget it. The dry cleaners may or may not be able to remove it; they have strong chemicals and equipment not available to you and me, but some things won't ever come out. Look at it this way: If the cleaner can save it, wonderful. If not, even if the cleaner does discolor the fabric, what have you lost? As it is now, the garment is already ruined.

You remind me of a person who asked me what to do with a skirt she dripped bleach on. I suggested she create a "paint-splatter" look on the skirt by deliberately sprinkling bleach all over it. Know what she said? "Oh, I wouldn't do that, I'd be afraid to ruin the skirt!" Umm, helloooo?

Shopmiami49

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 2:18 pm
zaq wrote:
nope, never tried dry cleaners, but glitter glue and fabric paint are paints and are meant to be permanent. You can't remove them through home methods. Sometimes you can pull the stuff off, if it's a blob on the surface and not embedded in the fibers. But if it's rubbed in and trapped in the fibers, forget it. The dry cleaners may or may not be able to remove it; they have strong chemicals and equipment not available to you and me, but some things won't ever come out. Look at it this way: If the cleaner can save it, wonderful. If not, even if the cleaner does discolor the fabric, what have you lost? As it is now, the garment is already ruined.

You remind me of a person who asked me what to do with a skirt she dripped bleach on. I suggested she create a "paint-splatter" look on the skirt by deliberately sprinkling bleach all over it. Know what she said? "Oh, I wouldn't do that, I'd be afraid to ruin the skirt!" Umm, helloooo?

On a black skirt that did to once, I colored in the spots with permanent marker - it looked great! I doubt it would work for large areas, though - it would be too noticeable.

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 2:39 pm
Black marker is my secret weapon, too, but this lady's skirt was turquoise.

I really miss my spatter-look T-shirt. It started life as a solid dark blue till it ran into a bleach puddle. With my spatter artistry, it ended up as a night sky full of galaxies and nebulas and all kinds of astral bodies. Much more fun than the original shirt. But, alas, it eventually wore out, found a second (third?) career as a dustrag, and I assume ultimately came to rest in the city landfill.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry