Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Ultra-Orthodox Man Spits On Lesbian Rabbi At Gay Marriage Pr
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

ora_43

Post Thu, Jun 23 2011, 11:25 am
I think the comments here are so "pro" the chassidic guy because of the title and first post of this thread.

I agree with whoever said it that it's not like she's the evil provocateur and he's the innocent victim. Neither acted in a mature way; both did something offensive (to be dan l'chaf zchut I'll assume they both acted in the heat of the moment). My earlier argument was against the portrayal of her as the (only) victim, not against the idea that he also did something wrong.

And yes, if a stranger came up and put his arm around me in a "yeah I see you're religious, I don't care, what are you going to do about it" kind of way, I might actually kick him. I'm not saying that's the proper response and nobody could judge me for it, but it might be my response, so I shouldn't judge others for it.

If he were an old guy in a wheelchair he'd probably have trouble reaching my shoulders. Say he patted my legs instead, or something. I still might respond physically - otherwise I'd be treating him differently due to his age and disability, which is discrimination. But I'd respond with less violence, since it takes less violence to send the message "don't you dare try that again" when the person is weaker.

But if I were in front of cameras, hopefully I'd keep my head and just look offended and hurt. I agree with whoever said it that these people desperately need PR advice, not that I'm about to offer them any.

I agree with spoons that if he's neturei karta, it's kind of funny to see him calling someone else "not a Jew"... both NK and reform are non-halachic, and unlike reform NK is actually in cherem. Not that either of them is any less Jewish because if it, but still. Ironic.

kitov

Post Thu, Jun 23 2011, 11:29 am
ora_43 wrote:
NK is actually in cherem. .

Really, by whom?

shoshina

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 12:03 pm
Barbara wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
SunshineWoman wrote:
That is disgusting and an embarrassment to all Jews.

I agree 100%.

Touting yourself as a "lesbian rabbi" is disgusting and an embarrassment to all Jews and a big chilul Hashem.

But I also think spitting is uncalled for. I didn't watch the clip, but what was the spitter doing there anyway?

Well, she isn't an embarrassment to me, so you're wrong there.

She is entitled to represent her own beliefs and understanding as to Judaism. Just as I am free to disagree with her.

She wanted to be on camera to present her view (which I share) that gay marriage should be legal in the state of New York, as well as to emphasize that not all Jews share the world view of the men shown. I'm not quite sure how she keeps getting jostled and pushed to the back if none of those men are touching her.

In any case, I do think she knew that she'd provoke a response by touching him, but spitting (and yes, *I* can see the spitting) and yelling that she's not a Jew was a bit much.

He embarrasses me much more than she does. She should never have put her arm around him (because tolerance means tolerating his sort of Judaism as much as he should be tolerant of hers) but spitting? Really? Can anyone think of other places where Jews were spit at on the streets?

bubby

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 5:00 pm
HE SPAT AT THE GROUND IN FRONT OF HER.

HE DID NOT SPIT "AT" HER.

How many more times?????

At wits end Trying to get you to acknowledge this is like Talk to the hand Rolling Eyes

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 5:09 pm
bubby wrote:
HE SPAT AT THE GROUND IN FRONT OF HER.

HE DID NOT SPIT "AT" HER.

How many more times?????

At wits end Trying to get you to acknowledge this is like Talk to the hand Rolling Eyes

If I were in her position, and someone did what he did, I would definitely feel as if he spat at me, whether or not I were actually hit by saliva. I'd feel sort of like William Tell's son. Whatever was intended, that arrow is coming my way, and I don't like it one bit.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 5:20 pm
Both parties behaving like kindergarteners if you ask me.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 5:57 pm
'You are not a Jew" said by a non-fluent English speaker can possibly mean "You are behaving unJewishly - shame on you."

bubby

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 6:05 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
'You are not a Jew" said by a non-fluent English speaker can possibly mean "You are behaving unJewishly - shame on you."

That's what I think. Barbara, I love the analogies you come up with! LOL
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics