Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Maryland...

amother

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 8:46 pm
We may be moving for jobs soon. Are there any modern/ very modern communities there? I know Baltimore is more Yeshivish...

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 8:52 pm
Silver Spring has a very modern community.
Where are you moving from?

I know plenty of modern people in Baltimore as well that live in the Greenspring area.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 9:06 pm
We would be moving from NJ. I am only anon because we have not yet told ppl we are thinking of moving. We have one DD who is 3. I wear pants and dont cover hair. We would want a co-ed school for DD...

TIA!

Yakira

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 9:08 pm
Baltimore has a MO community as well though its not as big as the yeshivish community.

check out this shul:
http://www.netivotshalom.net/

obagys

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 9:20 pm
Baltimore definitely has a large Yeshivish community, but it has a MO one as well. Growing up, my family was (is) considered Yeshivish, but my neighbors across the street were very modern (wore pants, didn't cover hair, etc - like you described yourself) and I was good friends with their daughter. Baltimore really has a great range.

There is a co-ed school that goes from preschool to 12th: http://www.btfiloh.org/school.aspx

Silver Spring has a large MO community, you may find you would be more comfortable there, but I don't know much about it.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 9:39 pm
Olney might be what you're looking for. (Ohev Shalom)

Or Potomac. (Beth Shalom)

Also Kemp Mill or Woodside areas, both in Silver Spring.

For any of the above communities, you would probably want to send the kids to Berman Hebrew Academy in Aspen Hill. There is also a small community living in Aspen Hill around the school.

But if you already have possible jobs in a particular location, think about how much of a commute you can tolerate. For example, it's a long way from Baltimore to Silver Spring. (I know people who have done it, but the commute is worse than it might look on a map.)

There is plenty of diversity in Baltimore. Although the Rambam school just closed, there is a new k-6 school, Ohr Chadash. Someone already mentioned the other modern option, Beth Tefiloh, which is technically a community school, and not Orthodox, but I understand the administration is mostly frum.

If community day school is your speed, there's also JDS in Rockville, but I suspect shomer shabbos families are few and far between there.

spring13

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 11:46 pm
Rockville, Olney, Potomac. Although there is a modern community in Baltimore as well.

I'd look first at where you'll need to be in terms of jobs. Frankly, if you're modern, you'll have more choices than if you're yeshivish or chasidish.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating