Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Pay cut

amother

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 12:18 pm
I've been working for a business for six years- through two pregnancies, maternity leaves, etc. Overall we've been on great terms- they have been nice to me and I've been loyal. All of a sudden, there's been a move on their part to tighten up their books and cut expenses, etc. I was suddenly told that we need to renegotiate my contract and that they were offering me $X per hour. X is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than what I've been paid in all the years I've worked there. I can just reject their offer and look for work elsewhere but I'm sooo depressed! I've been happily working there- it's good business, comfortable office, I had a wonderful supervisor. It's very conveniently located and they have nice perks. I feel so upset that they all of a sudden did this to me. I don't know if I should walk away or work for lower. I don't want to leave them and looking for a new job is a pain but I'm really upset at what they did to me.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 1:15 pm
I think it depends why you are working and how badly you need the money. Perks, environment and enjoying your job is very important too. However, If you were earning a certain amount before the pay cut, you may be able to find someone else to pay you that amount. But it's hard to find a job, hard to adjust...I would stay, and maybe make some phone calls to look elsewhere to see if there is anything exciting out there. Definitely don't quit unless you have something else. Good Luck!

amother

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 1:20 pm
I would consider negotiating with either the salary or with other things.
Come up with a salary between what you are currently making and with the cut salary. Give them an explanation of why you feel that amount is fair. Do some research of what other companies are giving with someone with your experience.
If you think they are not willing to budge on salary try to get other things (I.e. cut your hours, or get more vacations days...). If you go this route - make sure to get it all in writing.

If you do consider negotiating you have to be ready for them to say - no - and at that point be ready to go somewhere else.

Start getting your resume ready and start keeping your eyes and ears open for other opportunities out there.

Don't forget to daven for the best.

Good luck

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 1:23 pm
Why not take the job, then if you are not happy afterwards, simply start looking for another job. This will buy you extra time to think.

DovDov

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 1:28 pm
I would start by asking them how they got their number and whether they have a problem with your current work. If it turns out to be purely budget based, then I'd ask about reducing hours, increasing perks, etc. Offering you a greatly reduced salary could be a way of asking you to quit so they wouldn't have to pay unemployment.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 1:35 pm
I was in that situation and I left the job. I'm glad I did, too. It was a great place as long as the pay was good, but not worth the pluses without a fair salary.

sv9506

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 1:39 pm
I have heard that a lot of business are doing/are considering pay cuts across the board because of the economy (especially in certain industries, I am not sure what industry you are in). Is this pay cut just you specifically or a certain department or the whole company. I agree with DovDov to find out how they got that number and if they have a problem with your work. If you do not need the money then maybe you can reduce your hours so that you can be making the same or almost the same as before per hour, just less in total. If you need the money then accept it while looking for another job so that you buy yourself time.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 1:49 pm
DovDov wrote:
I would start by asking them how they got their number and whether they have a problem with your current work. If it turns out to be purely budget based, then I'd ask about reducing hours, increasing perks, etc. Offering you a greatly reduced salary could be a way of asking you to quit so they wouldn't have to pay unemployment.

I don't know about the law where you live, but I was told that the employer changing the terms of the contract IS grounds for filing for unemployment. So if you're considering leaving because of it, find out from a local lawyer if you're eligible for unemployment even though they're not technically asking you to leave.

tovasara

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 2:02 pm
Perhaps try to find out if this is temporary and will they raise your salary when the economy improves, etc. If you like working there and this is the case, they may reward your loyalty later on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics