Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Kube

Tiale

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 2:41 am
How do I make kube from bulgur? I have the dry grains (whole? I think) from the health food store. I have ground beef? How do I make it? what's a good side dish and/or veggie dish to go with it? TIA

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 2:52 am
I'm also interested in a good recipe.

Tiale

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 9:19 am
Good morning America! Any ideas on this one?

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 9:42 am
Real kubbeh made with bulgar is the fried one...is this the one you want a recipe for?

Otherwise, you need semolina for the dough for kubbeh in soup.

mominisrael2

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 9:55 am
I have a great recipe for the soup kind, let me know if that's what you're looking for...

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 10:02 am
See Tamiri's recipe.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....kubbe

Tiale

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 11:59 am
I love kube. Period. I bought bulgur for taboule salad so I was reminded about kube.
Thanks ra_mom!
I'd love both kinds if possible I thought to make the one with bulgur for dinner tonight but I looove the other one so if you have the patience/time... ;)TIA!

ray family

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 12:26 pm
there's kube (Syrian) and Kuba (Iraqi)
the one made w/ bulgar is kube. if you'd like I can post the recipe from aromas of allepo later tonight bli neder

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 12:27 pm
ra_mom wrote:
See Tamiri's recipe.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....kubbe
Thanks for saving me the trouble!
There is individual bulgar kubbe. Rice kubbe. Semolina kubbe. Pesach matza-meal kubbe. But for those who want an easy life, there is Tamiri's kubbe!

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 2:27 pm
A friend of mine makes the individual kind and she says it takes her so long, she does the meat part one day and another day the putting together. She also makes a lot at a time because it just makes sense for a pain in the neck thing. I buy them from the store Smile .

ray family

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 3:57 pm
From Aromas of Alleppo

(my grandmother recently taught me how to make this for the first time. we did not use matzah meal- only bulgar and flour. nor did we use cumin, paprika or the red pepper in the crust)

3 c bulgur- rinsed and drained
1 c matzah meal
1 c flour
2 T cumin
2 t paprika
1 1/2 t crushed red pepper
1 T kosher salt
3 T veg oil plus more for frying

Filling
1 lg onion chopped
1 T oil
1 lb ground beef
1t allspice
1/4 c pine nuts
1 t Kosher salt

saute onion in oil until soft. add the meat and continue sauteeing constantly breaking up the meat..let cool add spices

for the shells
combine the ingredients mix. gradually add 2 3/4-3 c lukewarm waterin a thin stream as needed. make a firm but moist dough.

shape the dough into balls 1 inch in diameter- work w/ damp hands so the dough doesnt stick- burrow your finger into the middle of the ball push your finger against the wall while turning the ball- forming a torpedo-like shape. use a narrow spoon to fill the shells. lay them on a tray and freeze
when ready to eat deep fry until golden.

alternatively you can spread half of the dough in a pan place the filling on top then the rest of the dough. score the top of the crust diagonally making diamond shapes
drizzle oil on top and bake

serve w/ techina

enjoy

ps it takes practice and patience to get the torpedo shape

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 4:05 pm
ray family wrote:
From Aromas of Alleppo

(my grandmother recently taught me how to make this for the first time. we did not use matzah meal- only bulgar and flour. nor did we use cumin, paprika or the red pepper in the crust)

3 c bulgur- rinsed and drained
1 c matzah meal
1 c flour
2 T cumin
2 t paprika
1 1/2 t crushed red pepper
1 T kosher salt
3 T veg oil plus more for frying

Filling
1 lg onion chopped
1 T oil
1 lb ground beef
1t allspice
1/4 c pine nuts
1 t Kosher salt

saute onion in oil until soft. add the meat and continue sauteeing constantly breaking up the meat..let cool add spices

for the shells
combine the ingredients mix. gradually add 2 3/4-3 c lukewarm waterin a thin stream as needed. make a firm but moist dough.

shape the dough into balls 1 inch in diameter- work w/ damp hands so the dough doesnt stick- burrow your finger into the middle of the ball push your finger against the wall while turning the ball- forming a torpedo-like shape. use a narrow spoon to fill the shells. lay them on a tray and freeze
when ready to eat deep fry until golden.

alternatively you can spread half of the dough in a pan place the filling on top then the rest of the dough. score the top of the crust diagonally making diamond shapes
drizzle oil on top and bake

serve w/ techina

enjoy

ps it takes practice and patience to get the torpedo shape

The real authentic way to make the dough is to substitute 1 c. semolina for 1 c. matzah meal or flour. My MIL always puts chopped parsley in the meat as well.

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Jun 30 2011, 3:51 pm
I just want to tell you that I made fried kubbah tonight and I tried half my MIL's way and half this way.

The spices in this recipe are INCREDIBLE! I also added the spices to the dough and it was really really good.

However, I just want to point out that you really need to soak the bulgar first in warm water after rinsing it. You pour it into a bowl and put 3x the amount of water and let it soak up. And THEN you add the flour and start filling. In the first batch I made, I used bulgar and semolina and they were awesome and crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside. In the second batch, I used bulgar (not pre-soaked) and flour. When I fried them, the kubbah kept absorbing the oil as the liquid (since it had no water to absorb), plus they kept cracking as they absorbed the water in the recipe. These ended up more soggy than crunchy.

Just wanted to tip you all off in case you make this. DEFINITELY keep the spices in - YUM!

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jun 30 2011, 4:04 pm
One more VERY important thing. Bulgher you use for kubbeh is FINE one, not the coarse grainy one you use for tabboule. They are not interchangeable. If you use the coarse one, your kubbeh will crumble. Also for the meat you use for the shell, normal ground meat is too coarse. It's better to whizz them in food processor briefly. Another way to cheat and minimise the risk of shells cracking is to add a bit of beaten egg as a binder (again this is clearly a cheat).

Rather than those exploding torpedoes, it's easier to do the baked version--basically shells divided into bottom and top layers, with the meat filling sandwiched.

I do have recipe for kibbeh which uses ground rice flour and ground meat for the shell.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics