Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
SO?? How much Are YOU paying for Camp/Sleep Away Camp?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 7:27 pm
After all these discussions I am wondering how much camp and sleep away cost. My kids are still young so I have a some time to worry about sleep away camp. My kids day camp are included in the tuition. I just pay $150 the whole summer for trips and supplies.

HavingItAll

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 7:34 pm
Just under $400 per child for a month of day camp; then just over $400 per child (for the oldest two) for a week of sleepaway camp.

The sleepaway camp is an experiment; my family at this point really is happiest when we're all together most of the time, so even if I were a millionaire I wouldn't do overnight camp for a whole summer. Day camp is perfect for us - I love dinner and evenings and weekends with the kids, and I love that during the week, they spend the day at beaches and doing crafts and playing sports, all of which I could arrange if I had to, but would be a ton of work.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 7:40 pm
2200- 1 half at sleepaway
1050- 1 half at day camp
1200- 1 half at day camp
2100- entire summer at day camp

6550 plus some hundreds in tips. Probably not more than 7000. Wow that's a lot.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 8:03 pm
Day camp quoted price is $150/week. There used to be a discount if you signed up for all 8 weeks.

There is no discount this year.

We negotiated to $110/week x 8 weeks x 2 kids = $1760.

I looked at sleep away camp for next year. The costs for this year are:
1750 camp cost for ONE month
170 bus round trip from nyc to camp
100 for trips
50 suggested for canteen
500 easily in tips (that's my guess based on the needs of my child)
2570 total - wow! For one month!

HavingItAll

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 8:11 pm
Whoa - tips? This is our third year of daycamp and I've never heard of tips. Is it just for overnight camps? Have I been failing to do something everyone is supposed to do? shock

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 8:14 pm
Tips are for sleepaway camp. Althouh last year I heard day camp counselours wanted tips too.

I know if I send my kid to sleep away camp, I'll need to give big tips. She's a tough cookie.

bubby

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 8:18 pm
The counselors don't usually get paid...if they get $50 a week they're doing really well, & out of that comes their free time fun costs & personal expenses. It is nice to give the ones who were good & kind to your child a tip at the end of the summer/session. How much? I don't know. Maybe $25? $50 if you're flush & the counselor is outstanding & went the extra mile. It applies to day camps as well, BTW.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 8:26 pm
$1,050 + about $80 in tips for 8 weeks of day camp.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 8:28 pm
€1000 plus airfare for 3 weeks of sleepaway camp.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 8:34 pm
We live far far from NY. Two main options plus some little backyard camps: $200/week for the nicer camp (does trips, cool activities, basic lunch plus snack included). $100/week for the backyard style camp held at the local school. We do the first option for 4 weeks - summer break is 10 weeks long. So that gives me a really nice balance of structure plus total freedom to do whatever we want for at least a month.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 8:40 pm
Over $7000 not including tips and canteen and all the clothes the kids need when going away.
The total was for 4 kids with various sleepaway/day camp/whole//half combos. We struggle but have been working on it all winter because the kids don't always get to go and we knew they would benefit fromit now. It also means we did without of a lot of other things this year.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 9:27 pm
I live in Boro Park and both my children are in pre-school. I pay $850 for my son and $575 for my daughter.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 9:28 pm
amother wrote:
I live in Boro Park and both my children are in pre-school. I pay $850 for my son and $575 for my daughter.

I forgot to write that this is the price I'm paying for a full summer.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 9:43 pm
HavingItAll wrote:
Whoa - tips? This is our third year of daycamp and I've never heard of tips. Is it just for overnight camps? Have I been failing to do something everyone is supposed to do? shock

Tips are for day camps as well. Usually, the day camps and sleepaway camps advise parents what the suggested tip donation is in the newsletter, mail....

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 9:57 pm
Price of the daycamp is $2300 for the summer per child.

I'm one of the people who relies on tzedakah/camp scholarship and pay $1450 per child instead.

sneakermom

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 10:05 pm
Almost $1000 per kid for a whole summer in day camp.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 10:09 pm
$6000 for DD who is special needs for 7 weeks in sleepaway camp
$1250 for DS in day camp whole summer
$1300 for DD in day camp whole summer
plus about $500 in tips for the summer (sleep away camp gets most about $350)

$9000 total! scary to see the numbers in writing!!!

Barbara

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 10:10 pm
amother wrote:
HavingItAll wrote:

Tips are for day camps as well. Usually, the day camps and sleepaway camps advise parents what the suggested tip donation is in the newsletter, mail....

Counselors at many camps pretty much work for tips.

Classicookie

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 11:40 pm
I work in a day camp to get my kids in so I dont get much of a paycheack but I also dont pay it works well for us
and part of pay is reliying on parents to tip its crazy but thats whats tould to staff and expected

Fox

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 11:47 pm
Approximately $600 for six weeks of half-day camp.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics