Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Let's discuss gefilte fish; the frozen rolls
Previous  1  2  3  Next

aussiegal

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 4:59 am
I buy Ungers here in Israel. IT sure is expensive!! I try to use only 1/2 a log if possible per week, if we don't have too many guests. IF it's just me and my husband he loves the jarred Israeli gefilte fish, so I buy that when we're alone and use it for shalosh seudos.

challi

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 5:03 am
Where I live you can get ungers for 33 shekels which comes to about $7.50 which is better than $10 but still very expensive. We are always very makpid to have fish by all our shabbos suedas so...

When I can't/ don't want to spend that much on fish and don't want to spend a lot of time preparing it either I take canned tuna add some spices and onions and put it in some puff pastery (one roll of puff pastery can last me about 4 shabboses) and make a mushroom sauce to go on top. Its really good and dirt cheap. It probably comes to no more than 10 shek. all together.

But besides for the gefilte fish in Israel being so expensive when you add the price of chrain to that between 15-25 shekels for a small container(can't have gefilte fish without the chrain now can we?) it's a small fortune.

mali

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 9:28 am
Sregion28 wrote:
During the 9 days it was on sale Buy one get one free which works out to around $2.50 a roll. So I bought 15 and put them in my freezer!
Why did you buy 15, and not 16, if you got the second one free? Or did you buy 15, and come home with 30, which would mean you'd have to get another freezer.

jewgal84

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 9:33 am
Between Raskins, Shabbos Fish or Bentzis, whatever is convenient, I think they are all around the same price 4-6 $ ?

momofgirls

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 10:19 am
I buy royal, never look at the price I need it I buy it for shabbos.

gryp

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 6:54 pm
I buy Benz's- they all taste the same to me.
it costs 3 for $12 (I think, maybe cheaper) at Benz's. its cheaper than all the others.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 9:42 pm
GR, that's lucky your family isn't fussy.

I think that for the price that I pay for the fish we like, I could just get fresh salmon already!

miriam

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 11:33 pm
I HATE GETTING BONES!!!!!!!! Arrgghhh, if I wanted to crunch, I would eat carrots. I usually have to spit out atleast a bite full by every loaf.

sarahd

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 3:46 am
Here they sell Ungars for about $12 a loaf, so I never buy it. I bring mine from America, about 2 dozen rolls each time we're there. Last year, we bought one apiece of most brands and we settled on Ungars - my husband likes it best. I think it costs about $3.99 a roll at KRM.

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 6:20 am
sarahd if you are already getting so much, you can buy a whole case at wholesale price. It is cheaper that way. I think $3 instead of $4.

sarahd

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 6:41 am
Really? I didn't know that. How do I go about getting it wholesale, do I have to call Ungars?

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 4:07 pm
I get it wholesale from Raskins (their own brand) in Crown Heights. You just walk into the store. I don't know how you get ungers wholesale. I think benz's in ch also sell wholesale. Maybe call the number on the packet?

When you bring a whole box they are less likely to defrost.

supermom

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 4:59 pm
mali wrote:
We have A&B and Ungar's in Israel, but they are SOOOOOO expensive! (about $10 for the white fish rolls).

For some odd reason Ungars tastes to fishy, we don't buy it anymore but we buy the fish rolls I don't remember the name it comes in a red package and made in Israel. I love them. They don't have that fishy taste to them.

ny21

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 5:06 pm
I always cook mine to long , and they come out soggy ! Crying

miriam

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 8:30 pm
momoftwins wrote:
I always cook mine to long , and they come out soggy ! Crying

Use a timer.

ny21

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 8:39 pm
That is a good idea ! LOL

ny21

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 9:03 pm
MY friend who comes from a lubavitch family - Wink

takes a salmon roll of fish and puts it in the middle of the gefitle fish roll ! it looks very nice on the table . LOL

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 11:04 pm
Yes, momoftwins, I also do that often. sometimes I add a spinach layer.

lubcoralsprings

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 11:06 pm
I like Raskin's the best.

ny21

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 9:03 pm
if you shop at sTOP And shop

they are on sale for $2.99
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics