Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
What to say to people screaming at me?
Previous  1  2

shoshina

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 11:43 am
I have a 6 pound dog. The neighbors were not pleased. Unfortunately for the neighbors, the kids were SO pleased! I now cannot leave my house to take a brisk stroll without being accosted by children who want to pet/feed/hold/chase/train the dog. They bring their (allegedly reluctant, but she's really too sweet for words) mothers with them, and the minute anyone says anything other than a genuine question about dog ownership ("how do you feed him on Shabbos" "We have a timed pet-food feeder") I walk away. It was a little vindicating the first time I heard a kid getting yelled at by all of the others because his mother made a snide remark about my dog and I took the dog away while they were still playing.

finprof

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 6:32 pm
OP here, Thanks for your helpful words! The community we are moving to is more suburban so hopefully things will get easier. I was just so shocked by people's reactions here. We lived in a waaaaay OOT community in the past where pets were "normal" so I wasn't prepared for the hostility. I still don't get why its only me who faces their wrath-when my husband walks him he has no problem!

MrsDash

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 8:20 pm
Time to get a bigger dog. A doberman perhaps? LOL - Next time someone makes a ridiculous comment, tell them that they should not only put a leash on themselves, but a muzzle as well! Wink

Fox

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 9:15 pm
I find it odd that people living in an urban area would be so strident about dogs. I'm not a "dog person," but I can't think of any neighborhood that is so insulated that you don't see people walking dogs. Granted, few pooches are hitting the pavement on 13th Avenue (though if they could get a cool rhinestone collar, they might!). But go a few blocks in any direction and you will see people walking their dogs.

It's kind of like the sidewalk chalk thread. You may or may not consider dogs (and sidewalk chalk) to be a menace to civilized society, but in most cities, we have more pressing quality-of-life issues to concern us.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 3:48 am
I think my response would be "My dog is quiet, well trained and respectful of strangers. What's your excuse?"

kitov

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 4:21 am
I must be so outa toch...I'm so scared of dogs and cats, regardless of their size. I don't care if it weighs 2 pounds or 20 pounds, if it has teeth, I ruuuuuuuun......

But I promise I'd never be rude.

Hatzlacha with your move, and lots of pet nachas!!!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 5:21 am
kitov wrote:
I must be so outa toch...I'm so scared of dogs and cats, regardless of their size. I don't care if it weighs 2 pounds or 20 pounds, if it has teeth, I ruuuuuuuun......

But I promise I'd never be rude.

Hatzlacha with your move, and lots of pet nachas!!!

Responsible pet owners are acutely aware of other people's fears, and will pull the leash short, move to the side, or even pick the animal up if they sense a fearful person coming up the walkway. I always make eye contact and say "Hi" in my most friendly voice, and make sure they know that I am doing my best to respect their discomfort. I taught my dog the command "leave it", so let the dog know that they are not allowed to go over and sniff anyone. If a person asks to pet, then I'll give the "OK" command, so that the dog will relax and know that I think that this is a safe person to say hello to. Otherwise, I give people a lot of space whenever possible.

Whatever you do, PLEASE don't run! The dog may take that as an invitation to play, and they love playing "chasing games". Even worse, some breeds have a very strong "prey drive", which will make you about as attractive as a deer looks to a lion. Either way, it's not a good exit strategy.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets