Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Very Healthy Creative School Lunches/Recipes

LubavitchLeah

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 3:30 pm
Its time for my kiddies to go back to school! YAYYYYYY. Now its the stress over lunches. My three year old is a very difficult eater and is milk/nut free and lowered sugars. My 10 year old eats it all but complains of no creativity. I deas I have so far.
1. Making my own healthy muffins (freezing them to last over a few weeks).
2. Making carrot or banana cake as snack treats with added sugar (Any recipes with Stevia or the like)
3. Brown rice. How do I add to this or the pasta to make exciting?
4. Rice pasta.
5. Ofcourse the normal sandwiches with What on top? Anyone tried Soy butter or sunbutter? Are these kosher or nice/healthy/yummy?
6. Cut up fruits/ veges etc. My son does not dip but maybe a ranch dip or peanut butter substitute dip would work.
7. popcorn for snacks.

Other Ideas pleassse?????

LubavitchLeah

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 3:31 pm
" Making carrot or banana cake as snack treats with added sugar (Any recipes with Stevia or the like) "

OOPS I meant NO ADDED SUGAR NOT ADDED SUGAR.
lol

miriam

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 8:28 pm
Hummus sandwiches, almond butter. I started cutting the sandwiches with a cookie cutte. Last week I gave my daughter a heart. She told me the morah showed it off to the class.

shayna82

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 8:31 pm
I made banana muffins for shabbos and my son loved it, so I made a whole batch and froze them and will give them to him in his lunch. yum. inexpensive, and healthy.

lubcoralsprings

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 8:42 pm
Those sound tasty but if I started to cook and freeze then I would be defrosting and eating before they got to the lunchbox...LOL!

LubavitchLeah

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 8:50 pm
Miriam,

I love almod butter so do my boys. Question is, if there is a nut allergy enviroment at school, would that not be considered as same catogry as peanut butter? I thought soy and sunbutter may not fall into that catogry?

leomom

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 11:57 pm
In the last issue of Natural Jewish Parenting there's an article with tons of healthy lunchbox ideas, including some recipes for snacks (cereal bars, pita chips, etc.). Each idea has a little checkbox next to it. I photocopied the pages and gave a copy to each of my kids so they can check off the ideas they would definitely like (color-coded in green) and ones they would be willing to try (color-coded in yellow). There are so many possibilities and it got them excited about packing lunches because they know we'll try new things and it won't be boring. Also, I can see at a glance who likes what so I can pack things they will actually eat IY"H.

As far as allergies, you could first cross off the ones that wouldn't work for a particular child and then give them the abridged list to choose from.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics