Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Frum woman faces jail for planting a vegetable garden??
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 7:39 am
grin wrote:
what do you think about this:

Turf Grass Madness:
Reasons to Reduce the Lawn in Your Landscape

Sponsored by the Cement Growers of America.
Just kidding!

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 7:42 am
it's annoying but when you choose to live in a certain area you do have to follow certain byelaws. In some areas you are not allowed to hang out laundry in public view.

I think she could have made her front garden look prettier.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 7:57 am
Raisin wrote:
it's annoying but when you choose to live in a certain area you do have to follow certain byelaws. In some areas you are not allowed to hang out laundry in public view.

I think she could have made her front garden look prettier.

This is not the most exclusive gated community for owners to assume that there are such bylaws.
When many people get their lawns dug up, they wait till fall to replant for the land to settle so they're no dips in the lawn. So they could have looked really ugly for much longer. This has potential to look quite nice well before they'd have opted to do the traditional lawn replacement.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 8:11 am
There are definitely different bylaws depending on where you live, and not only in the "most exclusive gated community."

In my parents - not exclusive at all- community you can't have fences in the front, your grass has to be less than a certain length, etc.

The problem in this situation is that the laws are unclear. "suitable" is muddy term. If the community wants grass, they have to state that.

Inspired

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 8:11 am
Did anyone else notice that the woman who is objecting is sitting on astro turf? Now THAT is classy.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 12:59 pm
I can't get the facebook and arggh! I can't open www.oakparkhatesveggies.wordpress.com either . I just met the fellow who helped the woman involved develop it and I was hoping to find something to sign. According to this guy, this is the FIRST time this obscure law has been enforced, veggies are historically exempted from the city law mandating keeping grass and weeds below eight inches, and he's on the warpath trying to find other "violaters." He's found one big one.
Personally, I suggested that the entire block invest in enough gnomes and pink flamingoes to blanket all their front lawns.

I can't access the online back and forth on this but I will just stress: it's legit BUT anyone who wants to fight the good fight, please remember, divrei chachamim b'nachas nishma'im. There is absolutely no room or cause for name calling and ad hominem.

I would also like to mention that it's looking a lot better than it started. I would even venture to say that my neighbors might well prefer that to our current front lawn.

Edited to reflect correct website.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Mon, Jul 11 2011, 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 1:37 pm
It's .wordpress.com
oakparkhatesveggies.wordpress.com

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 1:55 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
It's .wordpress.com
oakparkhatesveggies.wordpress.com

Thanks! Still couldn't open it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 2:04 pm
http://www.thepetitionsite.com.....gies/ for the petition

grin

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 2:23 pm
they now have over 16,000 signatures - I hope that helps.

zipporah

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 1:00 am
This is the community I made aliyah from. As someone noted, the pipes are breaking in several of the houses and they needed to be replaced. It's not like the city is randomly messing up people's lawns for the heck of it. And yes, especially since I'm pretty sure she bought the house after this was a known issue, replacing the lawn should have been factored into the purchase price.

This is an entirely local issue. She asked the officials before she did it if it was OK. They said no. She did it anyway. Someone complained. The city again said not to do it and it's escalating. She's just being stubborn to be stubborn and prove a point. If you don't like how things are (and how they have been for sometime... this isn't new) then FIRST work to change the law or statute. The reason that wouldn't work is the many people in Oak Park think that lawns=grass and a change wouldn't pass. Oak Park has several older residents who wouldn't necessarily be on Facebook signing petitions, but they would be calling city hall and telling their minds.

I don't want someone to tell me how things should be where I live unless they live there, too. I imagine many people share my opinion since we have a closed Living in Israel forum. I don't get what the deal is with people sticking their nose into these things. How do we know how this garden smells after it rains, or how it affects housing values, or if the plant material is attracting rats? All we know are soundbites. This isn't apartheid or (as someone injected a little incongruously into one of my discussions) Gilad Shalit. Since Oak Park has a sizable Orthodox Jewish minority, it's not a case of discrimination. The only thing I think has any religious bearing is that Dina de Malkuta Dina seems to be a distant afterthought for this lady.

grin

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 9:13 am
zipporah wrote:
This is the community I made aliyah from. As someone noted, the pipes are breaking in several of the houses and they needed to be replaced. It's not like the city is randomly messing up people's lawns for the heck of it. And yes, especially since I'm pretty sure she bought the house after this was a known issue, replacing the lawn should have been factored into the purchase price.

This is an entirely local issue. She asked the officials before she did it if it was OK. They said no. She did it anyway. Someone complained. The city again said not to do it and it's escalating. She's just being stubborn to be stubborn and prove a point. If you don't like how things are (and how they have been for sometime... this isn't new) then FIRST work to change the law or statute. The reason that wouldn't work is the many people in Oak Park think that lawns=grass and a change wouldn't pass. Oak Park has several older residents who wouldn't necessarily be on Facebook signing petitions, but they would be calling city hall and telling their minds.

I don't want someone to tell me how things should be where I live unless they live there, too. I imagine many people share my opinion since we have a closed Living in Israel forum. I don't get what the deal is with people sticking their nose into these things. How do we know how this garden smells after it rains, or how it affects housing values, or if the plant material is attracting rats? All we know are soundbites. This isn't apartheid or (as someone injected a little incongruously into one of my discussions) Gilad Shalit. Since Oak Park has a sizable Orthodox Jewish minority, it's not a case of discrimination. The only thing I think has any religious bearing is that Dina de Malkuta Dina seems to be a distant afterthought for this lady.
oh.

thanks for the add'l info - it makes a huge dif. in my perspective. I guess I was being hasty.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 1:17 pm
[quote="zipporah"]This is the community I made aliyah from. As someone noted, the pipes are breaking in several of the houses and they needed to be replaced. It's not like the city is randomly messing up people's lawns for the heck of it. And yes, especially since I'm pretty sure she bought the house after this was a known issue, replacing the lawn should have been factored into the purchase price.]

And my point was that it's not like the city is paying to have it done. Many property owners have had to pay the $1500 - 3000 (the estimates I was given, depending on the time of year; icy winter was more expensive) to have it done.
I'm not sure if she knew before she bought the house. All she knew was that the previous owners hadn't yet had it done. No one digs up the lawn to see if there's an imminent need. They could have gone on for a good few years before needing to have it done if they were asymptomatic.
Now, as for the rest of it: why they went ahead anyway. Beats me. (I wonder how their lawyer will handle it. Ably, I hope.) That doesn't mean I can't be supportive in some ways. I would suggest that anyone who is bothered by this point try to contact them directly, get answers. If they care to. This point is not a secret. Glossed over possibly, but not denied. And yet this situation is generating a lot of visceral reaction in support, which may say something.

zipporah

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 1:51 pm
[quote="PinkFridge"]
zipporah wrote:
This is the community I made aliyah from. As someone noted, the pipes are breaking in several of the houses and they needed to be replaced. It's not like the city is randomly messing up people's lawns for the heck of it. And yes, especially since I'm pretty sure she bought the house after this was a known issue, replacing the lawn should have been factored into the purchase price.]

And my point was that it's not like the city is paying to have it done. Many property owners have had to pay the $1500 - 3000 (the estimates I was given, depending on the time of year; icy winter was more expensive) to have it done.
I'm not sure if she knew before she bought the house. All she knew was that the previous owners hadn't yet had it done. No one digs up the lawn to see if there's an imminent need. They could have gone on for a good few years before needing to have it done if they were asymptomatic.

You could see the dips in the lawns of the yards as they started to deteriorate, and it wasn't an if... it was a when. The house was purchased 10 years ago (according to the publicly available tax records), and by then it was a known fact that the pipes had about 30 years of life and then they began to crumble. So, by the time the house was purchased, it was already a ticking time bomb that the whole neighborhood was having to deal with. For $3000 over 10 years, if they were planning ahead, this would have been a non-issue. If she had wanted the garden for some other reason besides sticking it to "the man", she had 10 years to get that OK'd.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 2:03 pm
My parents got scolded for having a dark green gate instead of black. Gosh did they hear from my dad!!
A decade later the gate is still there. Too bad for their obsession with so called "American look"... (my parents live in a town near Disney).
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q.....CFSsA (random pic)

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 4:49 am
Update:

http://www.naturalnews.com/033......html

JC

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 7:16 am
The main reason I would argue to use my front lawn for veggies is that in this day and age the front lawn is no longer safe to leave your child to play unsupervised. The backyard is the only place left that you can let them out alone. That means I want my back yard to be a lawn and that leaves my front lawn a big wasted space unless you fill it with something like a veggie garden.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Jul 31 2011, 3:05 am
Yay! Julie Bass won!!! All charges were dropped.

http://www.naturalnews.com/033......html

achayl

Post Sun, Jul 31 2011, 8:38 am
Inspired wrote:
Did anyone else notice that the woman who is objecting is sitting on astro turf? Now THAT is classy.

That's very funny! I went back to watch it, and you're right! The frum lady who objects is sitting on astro turf!!! Thanks for pointing that out!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics