Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
ISO chunky soup w/o tomatoes post fast
1  2  Next

EMmom

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 8:09 am
I would like to make a chunky soup (not pureed) for after the fast & while I have some good ones I really want to try something new. I hate when any form of tomatoes are part of the soup. My husband likes hearty ones like pea soup with veggies or veggie barley soups. No mushrooms please. Please provide recipes

TIA

culinaryk

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 8:26 am
Here is a recipe for chucky cauliflower vegetable soup

3 leeks- white part only, well cleaned and checked, thinly sliced
-4 carrots-2 grated on large holes of box grater, 2 thinly sliced
-3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
-1 T. canola or vegetable oil
-3 heaping T. flour
-2 lb package frozen cauliflower
-salt, black pepper, to taste
-1 heaping T. dried dill (more or less to taste), optional
-2 heaping T. chicken soup mix, optional
-water
-a few squirts of lemon juice, to taste
Servings recalculate

Preparation
1. Sweat leeks, carrots and celery in a covered 8 qt. pot, over medium heat, till limp but not browned, around 5 minutes.
2. Add flour and quickly stir into vegetable mixture until incorporated and no white color remains.
3. Add cauliflower, salt and pepper and dill; give a quick stir, then add enough water to cover almost to the top of the vegetables.
4. Cover and bring to a boil. Add chicken soup mix, if using. Lower heat, cover partially and cook until cauliflower is very soft- around an hour. Using a potato masher, mash some of the cauliflower to thicken the consistency of the soup to your liking. Let cool and correct seasonings; add a few tablespoons lemon juice to brighten flavor.

and one for yellow split pea and vegetable soup
http://culinarykosher.com/reci.....p/768

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 9:22 am
A REALLY easy pea soup - this amount makes a TON!

1 kilo dry green split peas - to prepare, place in a large pot (6 or 8 quart) and sprinkle 1-2 tsp. baking soda and cover with water until pot is 3/4 the way full. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes (make sure it doesn't foam and boil over). Turn off the fire and leave covered for a few hours.

Meanwhile, peel and cube:
1 large sweet potato
4 carrots
4 medium potatoes
2 large onions
5 cloves garlic

Pour off the water from soaking, add the veggies, add water again to cover until pot is about 3/4 the way full, season with salt and pepper and let it cook for about an hour. If you want to add barley, add with the veggies.

Creamy, delicious, and hearty.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 12:49 pm
Shopmiami49 wrote:
A REALLY easy pea soup - this amount makes a TON!

1 kilo dry green split peas - to prepare, place in a large pot (6 or 8 quart) and sprinkle 1-2 tsp. baking soda and cover with water until pot is 3/4 the way full. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes (make sure it doesn't foam and boil over). Turn off the fire and leave covered for a few hours.

Meanwhile, peel and cube:
1 large sweet potato
4 carrots
4 medium potatoes
2 large onions
5 cloves garlic

Pour off the water from soaking, add the veggies, add water again to cover until pot is about 3/4 the way full, season with salt and pepper and let it cook for about an hour. If you want to add barley, add with the veggies.

Creamy, delicious, and hearty.

Wow, that looks really good!

EMmom

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 3:18 pm
thanks for the ideas.
any others please keep it coming!

est

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 3:38 pm
I make one with lentils, barley, potatoes and carrots. it is really hearty and even tastes meaty. it thickens and tastes better as it cools so I make it earlier in the day. sometimes you need to add more water the next day.

saute a diced onion till translucent. add a grated carrot and 1/2 cup lentils (I prefer the brown ones bc they hold their shape better) and stir it all together. saute bit longer - watch that bottom doesn't burn.

dice into little cubes; 3medium potatoes, 6carrots and 1/2 leek (I have never put in the leek)

add salt, pepper, garlic, soup mix powder to taste (needs quite a lot of seasoning)
add water to cover plus a little bit more
add handful of barley

bring to a boil. simmer 1 1/2-2 hours.

I usually serve fruit soup after a fast. it is so refreshing, light and filling (has lots of fruit pieces in) and then we eat a proper meal about half an hour later.

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 1:35 am
OP, my MIL makes a great soup, but I don't have an exact recipe. She shreds or dices lots of different veggies (potato, carrot, celery, sweet potato, etc) and cooks them up. Add barley and maybe pre-soaked white beans or pasta and spices. Really good hearty soup.

EMmom

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 7:43 am
racheleva - any ideas wat the seasonings are?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 3:24 pm
EMmom wrote:
I do similar to RE's MIL by sauteeing onion and garlic, then adding finely shredded vegetables, barley and water. Simmer for an hour. Right before I turn off the flame, I season with salt and pepper to taste. It's really yummy.

esther s

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 4:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
EMmom wrote:
I do similar to RE's MIL by sauteeing onion and garlic, then adding finely shredded vegetables, barley and water. Simmer for an hour. Right before I turn off the flame, I season with salt and pepper to taste. It's really yummy.

do you have the exact recipe?
always love your recipes!!!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 4:30 pm
esther s wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
EMmom wrote:

do you have the exact recipe?
always love your recipes!!!

Thanks esther s!

1 onion
2-3 garlic cloves
3 carrots, peeled
1 zucchini
1 parsnip, peeled
1/3 cup barley
7-8 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion and garlic.
Finely shred all the vegetables. (The finer the blade, the better the soup. Use small vegetables btw.)
Place in 4 - 6 quart pot. Add barley and water. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

You can use any vegetables you like.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Aug 06 2019, 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

SV

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 11:13 am
I know this is an old thread, but it's that time of year again when we crave soups for dinner. Any other suggestions for good vegetable soups? The only criteria is no tomatoes and not too caloric (dh on a diet). Also, I dont have a stick blender so pureing (sp?) is annoying...TIA!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 5:25 pm
SV wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but it's that time of year again when we crave soups for dinner. Any other suggestions for good vegetable soups? The only criteria is no tomatoes and not too caloric (dh on a diet). Also, I dont have a stick blender so pureing (sp?) is annoying...TIA!
Can I please buy you a $15 hand blender? Wink It makes life so much more fun!

SV

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 10:02 pm
OK, Ok, fine I will buy one....Like someone said in another thread, then I won't have an excuse of "I can't make it because I dont have a hand blender...." embarrassed

thoughtful

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 6:40 am
a bunch of yummy looking chunky/wintery soups in this week's Family First - I think one or two of them had tomatoes
enjoy!

saralea

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 1:20 pm
SV wrote:
OK, Ok, fine I will buy one....Like someone said in another thread, then I won't have an excuse of "I can't make it because I dont have a hand blender...." embarrassed

After the soup is finished cooking, you can mash some of the veges with a fork. That will thicken up your soup without loosing all the chunks of veges( my favorite!)& without having to buy a handblender! Smile

TWINNY

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 1:33 pm
saralea wrote:
SV wrote:

After the soup is finished cooking, you can mash some of the veges with a fork. That will thicken up your soup without loosing all the chunks of veges( my favorite!)& without having to buy a handblender! Smile

Or you can use a potato masher.

Dalia

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 10:48 am
I know this is an old thread, but can I freeze the soup that has potatoes in it? Also, my vegetable froze in my refrigerator. Do you think it will affect the taste of the soup if I use frozen vegetables? thanks!

tichellady

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 11:21 am
Dalia wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but can I freeze the soup that has potatoes in it? Also, my vegetable froze in my refrigerator. Do you think it will affect the taste of the soup if I use frozen vegetables? thanks!

Potatoes don’t freeze well. I would say the better the vegetables the better the soup, but you can try I­t­ with the frozen veggies and just season more

Mevater

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 5:14 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Can I please buy you a $15 hand blender? Wink It makes life so much more fun!

8 years later, and Im laughing! Thanks ra_mom.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics