Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hives on Shabbos

chabadnick

Post Sat, Feb 19 2005, 7:12 pm
My 20 month old, was eating babagnoush on shabbos and he always eats babagnoush...however I always make my own. this Shabbos I didnt have time so I bought a prepared one. My babys face turned bright red with hive and starting screaming owww,oww. We pulled him out of his high chair and pulled off his clothes and saw hives all over his body! he was itchy and his neck was thick! so I got the benadryl and gave it to him. it seemed to go away, so I gave him some soup and it came back even worse. so I called 911. I dont know what triggered him but the paramedics said it was good we called and gave him benadryl. we watched him on shplikes all shabbos!

Tovah

Post Sat, Feb 19 2005, 8:20 pm
that happened to my cousins daughter in our house one fri night she ate babganoush the one I made though we gave her benadryl too.

Yael

Post Sat, Feb 19 2005, 8:37 pm
in the prepared salads they add preservatives. could he be allergic to a preservative?

chabadnick

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 6:53 am
I am not sure...but the paramedics said it wasnt great..I should have an epi-pen in my house Rolling Eyes

Rivka

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 7:26 am
that is pretty scary, it sounds like a pretty serious allergy.

AweSumThenSum

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 8:51 am
u may wanna take her to an allergist so that he/she can prescribe the appropriate med. my daughter (10.5 years of age) has hives, and the doc put her on zyrtec. he claims that hives is a virus which leaves the body on its own w/I 6 months to 1 year. zyrtec, or any other drug, will not cure hives as there is no cure for it, but it contains anti-hystemines (or however it is spelled) so that the hives symptoms are controlled until the virus leaves.

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 11:57 am
what is epi-pen?

Tefila

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 2:22 pm
Forever I think it is a needle that they inject into themselves which already has the medication in. Just take off seal and inject..... used for control of terrible allergic reactions

rydys

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 3:16 pm
There are many, many causes of hives. The most common cause is allergy, but they can be from viruses, stress or even just cold (like touching an ice cube)! If your child had a severe outbreak speak to your doctor about a workup. sometimes it is as simple as experimenting to see what causes a breakout, other times you do need to see an allergist. Zyrtec is like a long acting benadryl so it helps with the symptoms but not the cause. If hives are due to a food allergy, they can keep coming back when the benadryl wears off for up to 48 hours while the food is being digested. An epipen is a wonderful device which has epinephrine in it. to use it, you take off the cap and jam the other end against the persons arm or leg and it automatically injects the drug which reverses the allergic reaction. It is usually used for severe reactions where the person is having trouble breathing or swelling up. Unfortunately the effect only lasts about 20 minutes and then the reaction comes back so basically it buys you time to get to the hospital.

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 7:07 pm
thanks

hadasa

Post Mon, Feb 21 2005, 3:28 am
My son got hives on Motzoei Simchas Torah. Since they started at his feet, I thought it was from his woolen socks. But when they spread over his whole body, I started to suspect it was something else. Then I remembered they were giving out Sour Sticks in Shul at Hakofos. I asked him how many he ate. He said, "Not too many, five or six." I said, "Five or six sticks or five or six packs?" Guess what his answer was? shock I guess there's a limit to how much citric acid a kid can ingest! Rolling Eyes

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 21 2005, 10:21 am
Quote:
"Five or six sticks or five or six packs?"

that is hysterical. im sure he was very happy to be in shul that night...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics