Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I'm so embarassed!

amother

Post Fri, Sep 15 2006, 5:35 am
Last night was probably one of the most crazy nights I've ever had with my kids. No one was behaving or listening to me, my daughter picked up the baby and left her on the floor, the phone rang 11 times in the course of 1 1/2 hours, everyone had homework that they weren't doing, the kids didn't like the dinner I prepared...and DH was 3 HOURS later than expected. I very rarely yell at my kids. It just backfires with them. I find it much easier to talk nicely to them and get my point across and the system works great. Once in while though, things don't go well. Like last night. I had to yell at them.

So, to make matters worse, someone dropped something off at my house possibly while I was yelling at them. I'm not sure if it was then, but if it was I feel really embarassed. I don't want her to think I yell at my kids! I don't know what to do!

mom23

Post Fri, Sep 15 2006, 6:18 am
It happens to the best of us. No one is the perfect mom and there are times that it is just so overwhelming and we lose it. It's really embarrassing when someone catches us at our worst though. I feel for you. I'm sure the person that caught you in the act doesn't think any less of you - especially if she's another mother.

Try not to be too hard on yourself, and use this opportunity to look into techniques that work when things ARE at the overwhelming point. What works well for me is my own time out. I need 2-3 minutes to just let everything happen around me and to give myself a pep talk about what is really important. I do some deep breathing and psyche myself up to handle what is going on.

Good luck!

Motek

Post Fri, Sep 15 2006, 8:05 am
for one thing, you can shut your phone's ringer and have your answering machine pick up messages
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics