Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Asking for a Raise

amother

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 9:28 pm
I'm newlywed, (a few months) been working at my job for close to two years.

I work part-time in a Frum mom-and-pop shop. My bosses know me for years.

As time has gone by, they've heaped more responsibilities on me. I'm very loyal, I'm the only one in my position who stays late, shows up on time, does what I'm told. And I'm good at what I do.

When I got engaged, I asked for a raise. She said no. My husband is unemployed, and my boss knows that. A few weeks ago she asked what my deal is for after the summer, I told her a raise would be helpful. I stated my case, (I'm loyal, prompt, take a personal interest in the store, customers know me and like me, etc.) She agreed, and said she'd talk it over with her husband. I haven't heard from her.

My co-worker (who works in a diff dept and does diff work than I do) is switching from full-time to part-time, and they have asked her to train me in. That means my responsibilities (which are already overwhelming at times) and hers.

I need the job. But I also need more money. She isn't shy about complaining how slow business is, but I think it's unfair that I haven't gotten a raise or a bonus in almost two years, while they keep adding responsibilities, and my two peers have gotten both raises and bonuses in the past 2 years.

ADVICE?

Fox

Post Fri, Aug 19 2011, 12:23 am
It sounds like you previously made a good case for why you should receive a raise. It's indeed difficult to understand why your co-workers are receiving raises/bonuses, but you're not. Without knowing the circumstances, it may be that your bosses still think of you as a young single woman who is just filling time before getting married. Sometimes it's hard for long-time employees to change the image in the bosses' heads.

Ultimately, you need to decide exactly how much you want this job and whether you're prepared to leave if you don't receive a raise. Before asking again, do a little research to find out what typical salaries are for positions such as yours. Perhaps even do a little low-key job searching to see if there are opportunities available, and if so, how much they would pay.

Armed with that information, ask your bosses again for a raise -- preferably when they are together. Emphasize that you understand that they are facing difficult economic times, but point out your increased responsibilities and the value you bring to their business.

Under no circumstances should you bring up the fact that you need the money. There may be plenty of reasons you should receive a raise, but that isn't one of them. Nor should you mention the fact that you haven't had a raise in two years or that your co-workers have seen raises during that time. The only focus should be on your value to their business.

If they claim to be unable to give you a raise, you'll have to decide whether or not to begin a serious job search. Don't quit this job before finding a new job, and definitely factor in non-tangible benefits such as convenience, hours, location, etc.

Hatzlacha!

HelloEverybody

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 2:27 pm
To me, it sounds like you've made subtle hints that you hope she has picked up on.

Whether she is picking up on them and ignoring them or truly didn't pick up on them is unclear.

The only clear thing to do at this point is ask directly. You need to make it clear that you're not just providing a suggestive hint but are asking directly.

Also if the husband is in charge of the decisions go to him, don't beat around the bush to do what's more comfortable for you.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 2:55 pm
I was in a similar situation. I asked for a raise and the boss told me she needs to discuss it with her husband. I hadn't clearly stated how much I wanted and I felt like she was pushing me off. I therefore sent in my resume to a few places and went for a couple of interviews. I was actually shocked at how much other places were willing to offer for my expertise!

The next day I went back to my boss with my quandary - I have a new offer for x amount of money, but I really want to stay here. Can you help me out? My boss ended up raising me to almost that amount, much more than I originally expected. If she would have said, sorry, the business isn't doing well, I can't raise you now, I would say, ok, I'm sorry, I'll need to take the other offer, and leave. Either way you end up a winner.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 8:49 pm
OP Here.

Thanks for your advice.

Thought I should let you know that I followed some of your tips, and my boss informed me today that I'll be getting $2 more per hour.

Not exactly what I wanted, but more than I had before! B"H!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics