Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Triangle k
1  2  Next

pina colada

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 8:20 pm
The grocery I use generally sells products only with heimishe hechsherim and some commonly used products such as pringles, coke etc which are OU certified. I've been buying the ocean spray cranberry juice and realized today it has a triangle K. Anyone know if the triangle K is reliable?

naomi2

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 8:27 pm
I don't rely on triangle-k but got an ok to buy regular oceacn spray cranbery juice. other hechsherim I use are ou, ok, star-k, chof-k, scroll-k and heart-k (a.k.a. k with a line underneath)

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 10:47 pm
I was told the ocean spray is good only in regular cranberry flavor- check the ingredients to make sure there is nothing like grape juice in it. I normally do not eat triangle k, but I saw this in the home of somone who is involved in kashrus, so I asked his wife and that's what she told me.

ElTam

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 11:03 pm
That is also what I have heard, Triangle-K is okay only on certain products, but you have to ask. I have seen a very choshuva rebbetzin drink a juice box with a triangle-K on it.

shanie5

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 11:17 pm
I was told that triangle k on ocean spray products are fine. On other products-not usually.

chavamom

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 12:45 am
I was told this summer that people on the Lower East Side hold by it b/c R. Tendler (I think?) holds of it. I might have the rav wrong - will ask dh. But yes, in general most people do not.

peppermint

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 2:46 pm
As a gereral rule I do not hold by triangle K. However I did ask my rav about specific items and so I do use the following items with a triangle K:
orange juice (if it has no other ingredients)
ocean spray cranberry sauce
some frozen vegetables
pure honey

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 2:51 pm
The Vaad of Queens holds by triangle K on ocean spray cranberry sauce (I think the juice also, but I've never bought it). But we don't hold by it on other products (that I know of).

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 4:59 pm
Not to hijack the thread, but how about Sun Maid raisins and prunes? Thought they're also triangle-K. Is it accepted like cranberry juice?

Bella:D

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 5:02 pm
I've been told that triangle K is ok on some things like juices and other fruit and vegetable products but not ok on things like cheese or meat.

nylon

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 6:20 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but how about Sun Maid raisins and prunes? Thought they're also triangle-K. Is it accepted like cranberry juice?

I was always told Sun-Maid is fine. I still buy it! But raisins are relatively uncomplicated I think, since they're sun-dried. The only issue is if they use a glazing agent or oil to keep things from sticking.

But it does seem like every year, what's ok under the Triangle-K changes.

DovDov

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 6:29 pm
peppermint wrote:
As a gereral rule I do not hold by triangle K. However I did ask my rav about specific items and so I do use the following items with a triangle K:
some frozen vegetables
pure honey

I heard pure honey is okay without a hechsher, same for many frozen vegetables (probably the same ones that are okay with triangle K: peas, string beans, carrots, zucchini; basically anything that doesn't include onions or veggies prone to infestation, such as spinach or broccolli/cauliflower, so long as they're packed in the US). Also pure apple juice, which is why my kids get juice boxes with triangle K -- so long as it's just apple juice. Raisins are okay as long as they are sun-dried and grown in the US -- ingredients usually lists "California raisins" -- there can be infestation problems with imported raisins.

DovDov

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 6:30 pm
Obviously frozen veggies only if they're not cooked and there are no other added ingredients.

chavamom

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 11:23 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:

We were told that California raisins and prunes don't need a hechsher, so it doesn't matter WHAT is on the label.

chavamom

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 11:24 pm
My husband confirms it is R. Tendler.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 10:11 am
I used to say that it's only good for stuff that doesn't need a hechsher like water, but Su7 turned me on to the fact that some water is processed with milk!

So now we are MUCH more careful.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 1:07 pm
chavamom wrote:
Mrs Bissli wrote:

We were told that California raisins and prunes don't need a hechsher, so it doesn't matter WHAT is on the label.

Thanks v muh, it's good to know. Does anyone know if this is true for Californian/US dates?
I'm having difficulty finding dates--here LBD says they are infested or treated with glycerin (soft kinds). So far haven't found whole dates at kosher stores.

merelyme

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 1:15 pm
DovDov wrote:
peppermint wrote:
some frozen vegetables
pure honey

I heard pure honey is okay without a hechsher

Can you tell me who says pure honey doesn't need a hechsher?
Thanks!

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 1:18 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
chavamom wrote:
Mrs Bissli wrote:

Thanks v muh, it's good to know. Does anyone know if this is true for Californian/US dates?
I'm having difficulty finding dates--here LBD says they are infested or treated with glycerin (soft kinds). So far haven't found whole dates at kosher stores.

Even if you do find whole dates with a hechsher that hechsher is not saying it isn't infested. They still need to be checked.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 1:19 pm
Whole dates are a big problem with bugs AFAIK. You need to split them open and look inside.

Regarding honey: http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/.....e.htm
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen