Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I cant pay the rent yet this month

amother

Post Sat, Sep 17 2011, 11:41 pm
DH and I are both out of work...and after having to pay all the kids schools in the beginning of September, I dont have the $$ to pay my rent this month - its already a couple of days overdue.... when I try to speak to DH he just yells "I dont have it ask your parents". His parents cant help - mine wont (they think since its his fault that his parents should help). I dont know how I will pay for food for yontiff, but more pressing is the rent. I am expecting one more paycheck from my previous job, but they are paying quite late. My landlords are a frum couple - I am hoping that if I word it right they will be understanding and not throw us out. Any suggestions how to ask for an extension without them getting furious? Thanks.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 17 2011, 11:53 pm
Hug Hug Hug

I don't have any advice. But this sounds very hard. I hope everything works out for the good very soon!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 18 2011, 1:17 am
I don't know where you live, but is there any type of government assistance for people who are unemployed, or maybe even short-term rental assistance till you find a job? About your landlord, it depends if they need your rental money to pay the mortgage, or if this is just extra income or investment income for them. If they don't need the money, maybe they will give you extra time if you explain the situation to them. Hatzlocha!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 18 2011, 1:56 am
I would make sure they know that paying rent is a priority to you. And make sure they don't see you coming home with a bunch of shopping bags from a leisurely shopping outing.

spinkles

Post Sun, Sep 18 2011, 1:02 pm
Definitely speak to your landlords NOW so they know what the story is. If you explain the situation about waiting for a check, hopefully they will be okay with it. You do need to speak with the company that owes you the check and verify when you can expect to receive it, so you can tell your landlords.

But, this is going to be an ongoing issue, no? You'll have tuition and rent due every month. So you need to come up with a plan, which may, for now, mean going to your parents and begging for help. And putting a lot of effort into looking for a new job. What field are you in?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 18 2011, 6:11 pm
OP, I know this sounds heartless and cruel, but when I was in the situation that you are in, I pulled my kids out of school and homeschooled them.

I don't know how old your kids are, but even if you buy the books from your kids' schools (or some other place, we went to different local Yeshivas and bought books) you will be able to made ends meet a lot easier.

It is not fair to your landlord for you not to pay rent. They are entitled to that money.

A yeshiva education, however, is a luxury.

As long as your kids are learning at a steady pace, when your finances change for the better then you can send them back to school.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 18 2011, 6:14 pm
amother wrote:
About your landlord ... If they don't need the money, maybe they will give you extra time if you explain the situation to them. Hatzlocha!

Op, I am telling you from experience: Don't get into debt expecting to make money one day, because when that time comes, your taxes off your income + food + expenses will reduce any money. Don't expect to be able to pay the rent at a later time, because you will owe so much...

I am telling you from experience: Pull your kids out of Yeshiva for the time being. It is very hard to get out of debt.

Depressed

Post Sun, Sep 18 2011, 6:36 pm
I agree 1000% with h-schooling amother sounds like your best option

Barbara

Post Sun, Sep 18 2011, 7:06 pm
Sending my best wishes that you and your husband find work soon.

Have you applied for unemployment compensation? its not much, but it will provide some income to you. Also check your eligibility for programs such as WIC and food stamps.

Now, taking all of your assets -- unemployment, assistance, etc -- into account, you need a budget. Food and shelter (rent, utilities) must come first. If there is anything left, you can consider tuition. Contact the school and explain your exact situation. Bring in all ofyour bills, and all of your bank statements. Throw yourself on their mercy until you find a job. And if they cannot give you enough help, then you need to either homeschool completely, or send to public school and homeschool limudei kodesh.

ElTam

Post Sun, Sep 18 2011, 10:43 pm
Talk to your landlord RIGHT now. Don't make them come to you. Explain the situation and let them know when you expect to be able to pay. If you can make a partial payment, make a partial payment.

For YT meals, can you get invited out or go to your parents or DH's parents?

On pulling the kids out of school, how old are they? If you have kids in playgroup, below pre-K, for sure pull them out and keep them home. That would likely be less traumatic than pulling all the kids out.

Have you spoken to the kids schools and explained the situation and seen what you can do to help?
Have you and DH both applied for unemployment insurance?
Have you applied for all the goverment aid you can?
I know it is scary and overwhelming, but doing SOMETHING will help you feel better.
What about seeing if some mothers you know could use some extra help before YT watching their kids, running errands, etc? It may not be a regular job, but you could bring in some extra cash and that would help.

I would for sure talk to your parents. His fault or not, it is going to be you and their grandchildren without food and shelter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics