Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Leek patties, regular and Pessach

Ruchel

Post Sat, Mar 27 2010, 5:14 pm
Finally translated! bh

500 to 600 g of leek, eggs as needed

Clean the leek, take off the hard green leaves and cut 2 cms bits, wash well to take off the dirt everywhere.

Put some water in a pan, put the leek bits, make it boil and cook 20 to 30 mins. Drain well, leave in the strainer on the pan in the frigde all night.

If you buy ready cut leek, only leave them 1 or 2 h and start here:

Put the leek on a board and chop them with a knife, put in a salad bawl, add an egg, mix well, if it's not too liquid add another egg if wanted. If too liquidy, add breadcrumbs (for Pessach: matze mil).
The paste must be rather soft, but hard enough to make flat patties.

Heat the oil in a frying pan until very hot, add the patties to fry on high fire, turn them on every side, and in the end take them out and put them on absorbing paper.

Can be reheated without fats.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 2:46 pm
My leek patties had a lot of success just by sight when I posted pics on FB LOL two people already asked me for the recipe LOL

thekosherchannel

Post Fri, Mar 04 2011, 8:26 am
We make this every Pesach and for Rosh Hashanah for simanim. One aunt insists we use mashed potato for the filler and then roll in matzah meal or bread crumbs before frying in a little oil until just browned.

Another version is after browning them: Place in a pan and pour a sauce made of water, tomato paste, minced garlic and lemon juice and bake for 30 minutes until the sauce is absorbed. That's the way Sephardim from Rhodes and Turkey make them. They are really really good.

-Renee

www.thekosherchannel.com

Mirabelle

Post Fri, Mar 04 2011, 9:13 am
This looks great..I will try it!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 9:45 am
Up for Rosh hashana!

peppermint

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 2:43 pm
how much is 500-600grams in pounds?

sarahd

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 2:48 pm
1 pound = 454 grams

Faigy86

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 2:49 pm
How does pounds help anyways? How many stalks would you use?

(Yeah, I know, with a name like Faigy, who would guess that I made Prasa)

turca

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 3:04 pm
so, I make leek patties every year. I dont cook the leeks before, just cut small + eggs+ spices + flour if necessary and fry. It works out good.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 3:08 pm
I bought leeks today. I'm betting the price will go up next week. People love to use prassa (leeks) in patties for RH and also in soup year round here in Israel.
I have a "recipe" for patties that I make every year, but I like the idea of dipping them in matza meal before frying. I'll have to try it. Thanks!
My recipe calls for 5 leeks but IME that's nothing, so I got 10. I make them in advance and freeze, taking out as needed. One less thing to do erev YT :lol:
(pssss.... I'm a Fagie IRL.... what does that have to do with using leeks?)

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Sep 24 2011, 6:31 pm
Faigy, 500-600g of leeks would be about 4 fat ones. (Remember you'll be discarding the tough and gritty top bits). I add matza meal so that the batter is easier to manager/flip with a spatula.

Tamiri, I also made double batches with about 2kg leeks. Actually so many prasakoftas DH asked seriously if I'm cooking some for Pesach already.-

honeygold

Post Sat, Sep 24 2011, 9:02 pm
The recipe I use for the simanim on Rosh Hashana is very similar to yours. The only difference is that I saute the leeks before making the mixture instead of cooking it like your recipe. I wonder what the difference in taste would be.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 7:20 am
up!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics