Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How many projects do you want?

amother

Post Sat, Sep 16 2006, 8:08 pm
As a teacher of 4 and 5 yrs olds.

What do u parents have to say about How many if any (say in a middle of a craft) projects , would u like your child to come home with?

(Anon since don't want a mom figuring me out)

amother

Post Sat, Sep 16 2006, 8:13 pm
Whilst we are on this topic how would you feel about a goyshe assistant when there are Jewish ones available Exclamation perhaps not as good but could always be trained. Since there are going to be times when the kids will be left alone it is inevitable. What type of message are we sending having a non jew there. No offense but it is supposedly a frum jewish mosad ?????

timeout

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 6:32 am
I love the Tefilas Haderech for the car, magnets with the kids picture for the fridge, handprints to save, Floweres for Shavuous, Bruchim Haboim for the door Smile

About the not Jewish assistant personally I don't think it's a good idea.

chen

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 6:43 am
One project a week, tops, and please, nothing with glued-on buttons and pompoms and other small objects that will fall on the floor just waiting for the crawling-stage baby to find them. (Shudder.)

realeez

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 6:47 am
amother wrote:
(say in a middle of a craft) projects

what does this mean?

Tefila

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 1:27 pm
Ok so me being a mother I feel they should come home with atleast one something 8) wether it's a themed one or their very own once aweek.

Chen sorry I'm not sure that I agree (though I haven't said I don't yet), but if the craft is age appropiate for the child who is making it and who brings it home then it's the parents responsibility to make sure it's out of a babies reach Confused .

amother

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 2:08 pm
Quote:
About the not Jewish assistant personally I don't think it's a good idea.

So it looks like only you and me have that problem noone else Confused

Esther01

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 4:27 pm
I think one project a week is perfect...though I do love when my dd brings home anything she colored. it doesn't have to be a project... I just love to see what she's learning. today she came home with a apple and honey picture she simply colored... that's great to send home any time.

about the assistant, I don't think I would send my child to a school where there are non jewish assistants. in the school my dd is in, the assistants are young girls out of seminary who are training into the teaching field. I think it's great.

gryp

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 4:34 pm
my 3 year old brought home last week 3 simple projects. if he had brought home only 1 project it would make me wonder what he had done in school the whole week.

happy2beme

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 6:53 am
Anything the child made. Last year my dd was in a playgroup & they made these beautiful A&C. Only prob was the teacher did it all!!! When I asked her did u do this, she said no- I just put on that 1 sticker...
It might not look as professional but I think it's more beautiful when my my dd does it from beginning to end!

SK

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 10:20 am
However many projects the children are happy to make.
My children love to make projects and I'm happy to see that they have enjoyed their time in school.
It is also a very good intro to teaching your children not to be hoarders...we enjoy the crafts over shabbos/Y"T is over and then we talk about which ones we are finished with and can now throw away, or which ones are keepers, to stay on the fridge or perform some other function.

In the beg. they want to save everything, so I put it on the side and then ask them a aweek later if they are finished with it and then they usually say yes...

THis is a very important skill to teach your children btw. (not to be hoarders...but also not to just automatically throw things away - there can be a happy medium of appreciating and then eventually disposing)

jewgal84

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 1:33 pm
As a teacher, I once had a non-Jewish assistant and I was not pleased at all. She was indeed a good help and always working but she didn't have the "oomph" of being Jewish.

MPO- I don't want my children brought up by non-Jews, doesn't school count?

As far as projects, at the age of 4-5, I think it's appropriate to bring home at least 2 a week, non including, pictures colored or painted.

When I had that age, pictures and papers were always available to color and paint, mostly in the morning when the children come in, so some kids would bring home more than others.

But projects, is something we did as a class, preferably after snack, when most kids are here =).

And by 4-5 yrs of age, there is absolutely NO reason for a teacher to help out a child doing their project, let alone doing the complete work.

Even my 2-3 olds at school do their own projects.

Teachers are there to assist their students and guide them!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics