Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Mini meat pizzas (lah magheen)
Previous  1  2

greeneyes

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 11:03 am
Nicole, you should probably be able to find prune butter in any well stocked grocery or supermarket. I buy mine at Moisha's on Avenue M. & it's near all the other jams.

So, avimom, how did they end up coming out? Smile

atlastamom

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 1:19 pm
mah pitom - how did you make the spicy version? I'm too european for sweet meat...
thanks

avimom

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 10:08 pm
didn't end up making them... I decided to wait until I can get the prune butter!

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 10:44 am
greeneyes wrote:
Another one for shanie5...

mini pizza dough circles (found in the freezer of your supermarket)

Meat mixture:
about 1 1b. chopped meat
juice of 1/2 a lemon
a few generous squeezes of ketchup (be real generous!)
3-4 giant spoonfuls of prune butter (you want to be really generous with this as well; it gives the meat a real sweet, delicious flavor)
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix these ingredients together. The measurements don't have to be so exact; after making it enough times you get a feel for how the mixture should look.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, & spray very lightly with pam. Lay out pizza dough circles on the cookie sheet, and generously spread meat on top of each circle of dough, covering the entire surface.

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.

It's so funny I found this because my kids love it and I wanted to make it. Do you know what you can use instead of prune butter because I can't get that? If you don't know, I guess I could ask a friend from here, but she's ashkenazi so I don't even know if she makes it.
Bennysmommy, almost all of the frum pple here and the owners of the restaurants are sefardim Smile .

ss321

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 10:51 am
yo'ma wrote:
greeneyes wrote:

It's so funny I found this because my kids love it and I wanted to make it. Do you know what you can use instead of prune butter because I can't get that?

I use Hoisin sauce. they sell it in supermarkets and in lots of heimishe stores. Its like an ultrasweetened thick soy sauce tasting sauce. It gives it a sweet taste but a but more tangy than the prune I think

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 10:55 am
ss321 wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
greeneyes wrote:

It's so funny I found this because my kids love it and I wanted to make it. Do you know what you can use instead of prune butter because I can't get that?

I use Hoisin sauce. they sell it in supermarkets and in lots of heimishe stores. Its like an ultrasweetened thick soy sauce tasting sauce. It gives it a sweet taste but a but more tangy than the prune I think

okay, can't get that either Smile , thanks, do you know how to make any of these sauces?

ss321

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 11:06 am
yo'ma wrote:
ss321 wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
greeneyes wrote:

okay, can't get that either Smile , thanks, do you know how to make any of these sauces?

OK my best Guess?
Hoisin sauce has the consistency of honey. maybe a bit waterier.
I would say, experiment with the following ingredients
soy sauce, vinegar, red pepper/paprika, garlic powder, and then honey to thicken, till it has the consistency of a thicker salad dressing, closer to the consistency of the honey than the soy sauce.

and prune butter I assume is pretty easy to make - just take prunes and throw them in a blender, add some prune juice (or if you dont have that, I guess you can use other fruit juice, like grape or orange), and let it just blend for a long while till it has a whipped consistency.

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 11:21 am
ss321 wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
ss321 wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
greeneyes wrote:

OK my best Guess?
soy sauce, vinegar, red pepper/paprika, garlic powder, and then honey to thicken, till it has the consistency of a thicker salad dressing, closer to the consistency of the honey than the soy sauce.

and prune butter I assume is pretty easy to make - just take prunes and throw them in a blender, add some prune juice (or if you dont have that, I guess you can use other fruit juice, like grape or orange), and let it just blend for a long while till it has a whipped consistency.

Thanks a ton!!!!!!!!

TheBeinoni

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 2:47 am
ss321 wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
ss321 wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
greeneyes wrote:

OK my best Guess?

to make lahmajin you dont need prune butter or tamarind. of course those are preferable, but an "easy" tamarind sauce can be made quickly -

just blend together equal parts ketchup and worcheshire (sp??) sauce, then add some lemon juice, cumin, cinnamon, allspice (most important), garlic. this works just fine for makeshift lahmajin when you dont have tamarhindi in your kitchen! Smile

twinkle

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 1:35 pm
Where can I get the mini pizza doughs and exactly what is it. Is it called mini pizza doughs or does it have another name. I looked in several stores and couldn't find it. What brand do you buy. Do I go to a local kosher grocery or do I go to a pathmark/shoprite. Thank you so much

TheBeinoni

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 1:39 pm
Well, by me I buy a brand called "Mazor's" It comes in a clear bag and the dough pieces are layered on top of eachother. It is only by Kosher stores or the Kosher section. They have tons of frozen doughs (bourekas dough, sambousak dough, and PIZZA dough). It is just called pizza dough! Really any dough that is called "PIZZA" will work. If you cant find one in mini circles then just get a bigger one and cut the mini circles with a cup!

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 1:39 pm
twinkle wrote:
Where can I get the mini pizza doughs and exactly what is it. Is it called mini pizza doughs or does it have another name. I looked in several stores and couldn't find it. What brand do you buy. Do I go to a local kosher grocery or do I go to a pathmark/shoprite. Thank you so much

Mazor makes round circle pizza dough. You can also use puffed pasrty squares. It's sold at most kosher grocery stores in the frozen foods section or in the kosher frozen foods of some Shoprite stores.

twinkle

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 1:41 pm
Thanks a ton I'll go look for it

PIP

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 1:41 pm
Moisha's on Ave M carrys it. Its called Mazor's Pizza Dough it comes 24 in a pack (be careful bc they have diff sizes of the pizza dough) You can also buy the lachmagien sauce in moishas. Its in the freezer section, and for those of you who have no interest gallivanting around the world to find tamarhindi, this is great. Just mix it w\ a lb of chop meat put on your pizza dough and bake Smile the sauce cost 7 or 8 dollars.

babygirl

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 11:17 am
For the lachmagene I make my own tamarhindi sauce....I make it and then I keep it in the fridge and it lasts forever...I use it in all my syrian cooking...Like Yebrahs, machshis, and stuffed artichoke....I can post the recipe if anyone is interested.

pacifier

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 12:58 pm
SZ mother wrote:
I love this! (I love everything actually, but anyway...)

In my family they called it sfiha(the pizza is open sfiha, and the closed one is closed as a triangle), that is the way sefaradic from egypt call it, and there is a difference with this one. Yours sound sweet, mines is completely salty, no sweet meat. In the caterers here in america they do it sweet.
Both are good to me!!! LOL

how do you make it completely salty? I'm too european for sweetened meat. I only tried to make the lachmagen once and it was too sweet for me.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 2:10 pm
I still haven't made it. What a surprise Rolling Eyes ? But it's okay, everytime, my daughter goes out to eat, she orders it and she had 2 today LOL !

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 27 2011, 6:01 pm
greeneyes wrote:
Nicole, you should probably be able to find prune butter in any well stocked grocery or supermarket. I buy mine at Moisha's on Avenue M. & it's near all the other jams.

So, avimom, how did they end up coming out? Smile
I ordered date butter by mistake Sad
And they sent me Israeli date spread "for baking and spreading". Looks like it's more of a dessert ingredient.
Time to try again Sad
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics