Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
HELP!!Chulent infested with worms!!
Previous  1  2

jaysmom

Post Sun, Jul 18 2010, 5:00 pm
ila wrote:
I learned that to check beans you have to soak them in water overnight or bring to a boil and let it soak for a while; and than check them by putting some in your hand, turning in the other hand to see both sides of the beans, sorry of your experience!

Thanks for this valuable information! Will do! I keep kosher and I am NOT a worm fan.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 28 2011, 3:56 am
Ugh, pantry bugs are the WORST! When I was in Israel I learned to put all of my starchy foods in the freezer for storage. Not only are worms, moths and beetles completely disgusting, but you end up wasting tons of money having to throw out otherwise perfectly good food.

I'll never forget the time I was watching a friend of mine get ready to make cholent, and she was checking the beans one at a time, by the half handful. I thought she was taking things a bit far, until she picked out a bean, split it open with her fingernail, and there was a little worm curled up inside! shock The only thing that tipped her off was a tiny brown spot on the bean, that I would have completely overlooked.

After that, she soaked them all in very warm water overnight, and then picked through them by hand once again before throwing them in the pot.

Personally, I am very happy that I cannot digest beans at all, and that DH hates cholent. He'd much rather have a meat and potato stew or lamb and barley soup.

chavs

Post Wed, Sep 28 2011, 6:46 am
aaaand appetite gone...

Thats seriously disgusting, sorry about that. I have never had worms in food b-H!

I once saw maggots in the bin outside the house and didnt go near it for a while even after the bin men emptied it. I had dh wash it out really well and even after that I was wary of going near it. If I found it in food I wonder for how long I wouldnt eat food like that if ever again.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 28 2011, 9:23 am
I once bought a bag of beans that was infested. I went back to the store and showed them the whole shipment of that brand was infested, and they pulled them off the shelves. Hopefully, no one else bought any and failed to notice the infestation.

Erev Shabbos, I took out my cumin and it was crawling with bugs. I use it every few weeks, and I shudder to think how long things were in it. Ichsa.

questioner

Post Wed, Sep 28 2011, 3:25 pm
OK, I'm checking my beans really carefully now. Is a white spot on the side of the bean (by where the "seam" would be, in middle of the curve) a problem? I have one bag of beans that all have it, and one that doesn't have any.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 28 2011, 7:50 pm
questioner wrote:
OK, I'm checking my beans really carefully now. Is a white spot on the side of the bean (by where the "seam" would be, in middle of the curve) a problem? I have one bag of beans that all have it, and one that doesn't have any.

Crack open a couple and check, it might just be where the seed would come out if it sprouted.

I just opened a bag of rice, and a couple of moths flew out. embarrassed Sad Wouldn't you know it, the one time I don't put it in the freezer. Mad I HATE throwing away food!

klotzkashe

Post Sat, Oct 01 2011, 8:25 am
thats why I use canned beans or baked beans in my chulent...hopefully they're not infested bc of kashrus/quality control in the factories. it costs more, but worth it...also no need for soaking and baked beans add nice flavour to cholent.

buzz

Post Sat, Oct 01 2011, 12:13 pm
I alway soak my beans overnight b"H never found anything worrisome!
That sounds horrible!!

I once had something crawling in my sugar and lots of eggs, now I am paranoid with every sugar I buy... I am never happy but use it anyhow! I never knew sugar was not that clean!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions