Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO kreplach recipe

cutegal

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 10:27 pm
anyone have a good kreplach recipe? Can I use wonton wrappers as a shortcut?

Amital

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 10:34 pm
You can use wonton wrappers.

I have used several recipes in the past. Are you looking for beef, chicken, potato, or some other filling? For soup or fried?

cutegal

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 10:37 pm
I need them for soup. I'd like to make beef ones. do the wonton wrappers get soft when they are boiled? do they taste very different than ones made with homemade dough?

culinaryk

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 3:40 am
Here is a recipe for kreplach and filling (with variations)

Dough
2 1/2 cup/s Flour
2 Eggs
1/2 cup/s Water
1/2 cup/s Oil
1 shake Pinch Salt
Filling
1/2 pound/s Chopped Beef Chicken Or Turkey
1 Small Onion Minced And Sauteed
1 Egg
1/4 cup/s Bread Crumbs
1/4 teaspoon/s Salt
1/4 teaspoon/s Pepper

Preparation
Dough:
Combine ingredients for dough. Mix until smooth. Roll out on well-floured surface to 1/8" thickness. Cut into squares. Alternative: Use frozen kreplach dough.

Filling:
Combine ingredients for filing. Place 1 tsp filling onto each square. Fold over. Press with tines of fork to seal. Sometimes I will twist the ends of the filled dough to look like wontons. After I shape them, I sometimes curve them into a semi circle. Drop into boiling, salted water and cook for 20 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and drain well.

Helpful Hints
I like to make this using a whole package of frozen kreplach dough. I freeze in containers and mark them so I know how many are in each container.

My mother used to serve kreplach two ways. She would first boil them (I loved them that way and used to sneak them out of the refrigerator). Sometimes she would fry them and serve as a side dish.

JerusalemIma

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 5:33 am
Can we use frozen filo/phyllo dough instead?

MavenMall

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 7:03 am
You can use wonton wrappers to make kreplach - they work great. (In Israel, you can use Morrocan cigar wrappers).
There are directions in this Easy Kreplach Recipe on MavenMall.
One important tip she mentions is that you should not leave these kreplach boiling in hot soup, because they will melt.
Gmar Chasima Tova!

shoemaker

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 7:58 am
kreplech

there is a specail kreplech dough in the freezer section. I think its from yitzy`s I used it and
it came out great. the wonton wraps fell apart.

Amital

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 9:36 am
I don't actually have a recipe for any of these! I just use what we're in the mood for.

For meat, I usually carmelize an onion and some garlic in a little oil, add a pound of so of ground beef seasoned with salt and pepper, and cook (for a whole package of wonton skins). Depending on what you're going to do with the kreplach, you can flavor them differently. For soup, this is usually enough. For fried, I add in other spices and herbs, like cumin and hot sauce, or mustard (the condiment) and hot sauce, or taco seasoning mix.

For chicken, I use chicken from soup and mince (I would process but I don't have a fleishig processor), add an onion and an egg, salt and pepper and stuff. Or buy ground chicken, add ingredients, and cook. Of course, for fried kprelach, I throw in other seasonings, like curry powder, spice rub (I make mine with brown sugar, cinnamon, cumin, and chili powder), or more simply with fresh herbs.

For potato kreplach, I season mashed potatoes with salt and pepper, a little garlic, and some parsley. For fried, I add in cheeses and/or something else. You could even use potatoes like those from a favorite potato dish, like Indian peas and potatoes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes