Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
12 hours in Rome- ideas please

Dimpled

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 3:53 pm
We are having a 12-hour stopover in Rome after Sukkos with two kids (3 and 15 months) and want to make a trip out of it.
has anyone done this?
What do you recommend we see/do there? how do we travel? how far is each thing from the airport/from each other? what should we make sure to have with us?
TIA for any replies...

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 5:08 pm
Rome has two main airports--Fiumicino (aka Leonardo da Vinci) and Ciampino. Fiumicino is further out of central Rome, but good train connection which takes about 30min to Termini train station. Ciampino is closer to the city but only bus links. Tram is the best way to get around (though watch out for pick pockets), or probably hop-on/hop-off tourist buses. Because of archeology, tube network is not well developped.

Firstly what hours are you landing/departing? Seconly, what do YOU enjoy? Central synagogue has good exhibition and close to kosher restaurants. You can go Colosseum, the Trevi fountain (though I thought I wax expecting something much bigger), Borghese garden.

I must say, aside from the park, Rome is not really toddler friendly destination. Most attractions--arts, archeological, maybe less appeal to the young ones. Places like Cistine Chapel (of michaelangelo's artwork) won't allow strollers if I recall.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics