Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Shabbos mode

Shimmysmom

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 12:51 pm
I just moved into a new place and our oven has shabbos mode. im just wondering, if anyone else has it can you please tell me:
I want to leave the oven on shabbos mode for rosh hashana so that I can heat things up on the second day of yom tov. on a regular shabbos I usually heat everything up for friday night in the oven and then shut it off right before shabbos so that my food stays warm. I obviously can't do that this week if I leave the shabbos mode on because then I would be opening/closing an oven that is on. so my question is this- how do I heat up food for friday night?

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 12:55 pm
With shabbos mode you are allowed to open and close an oven that is on because it won't cause a change in the temperature when you open and close the oven door. That's the whole point of the shabbos mode. Go to the star K website to check it out.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 12:56 pm
are you sure, I thought it was just to override the automatic turnoff.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 12:59 pm
it also lets you on (on yomtov) turn your oven up and down without changing the digital display on the oven.

withhumor

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 1:09 pm
My idiot oven shuts down after 6 hours. What is this, a PC ?! how can I leave it on all Yom Tov?

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 1:15 pm
You need to get someone to come in and turn off the automatic shut down.
How old if your oven?
If you can find the booklet that came with it you can see if your oven has shabbos mode.

withhumor

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 1:20 pm
it's brand new. it's an amana AGR4412A http://www.epinions.com/Amana_.....Range

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 1:23 pm
here is the link to the stark website where they talk about appliances.

http://www.star-k.org/cons-appl.htm

I didn't see any Amana's there and only certain ovens and manafacturers have shabbos mode.
But you should look at your manual.

withhumor

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 1:34 pm
wow! I got the help I needed - I didn't dream it can be fixed. Thanks so much!

cindy324

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 2:11 pm
Quote:
On the Sabbath, the oven door may only be opened once, all the food removed and then closed. On the Holidays, the oven door may be opened/closed at any time as often as desired.

Sara's right. The sabbath mode only overrides the 12 our shut off
That is a quote from that page you posted only1. The sabbath mode may really only be used on Yom Tov, as far as as changing the temperature goes and opening and closing the oven door.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 2:15 pm
cindy324 wrote:
Quote:
On the Sabbath, the oven door may only be opened once, all the food removed and then closed. On the Holidays, the oven door may be opened/closed at any time as often as desired.

Sara's right. The sabbath mode only overrides the 12 our shut off
That is a quote from that page you posted only1. The sabbath mode may really only be used on Yom Tov, as far as as changing the temperature goes and opening and closing the oven door.

My bad, I knew you could open the oven door on friday night, but I forgot to mention you can only do it once.
It's great for yomtov though!

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 2:17 pm
Oh the other thing the sabbath mode does is when you open the door on shabbos or yomtov the light doesnt go on.

withhumor

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 2:24 pm
How complicated, thanks!

cindy324

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 3:10 pm
Isn't technology amazing? It's nice to see all these big companies accomodating their frum costumers!

shopaholic

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 9:38 pm
We have Sabbath Mode. Haven't used it though since Pesach when we bought it. I don't rmemeber how it works, but I don't think it can be used on Shabbos, only Yom Tov.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen