Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Gilad shalit and the rebbe's dollar
1  2  Next

hadasa

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 1:54 pm
Mrs. Chana Kantorman, a Chabad Shlucha, has a close relationship with Mrs. Shalit. She would bring food to their tent as well as Matzos on Pesach and other items of Yiddishkeit. Just before Pesach, she presented Mrs. Shalit with a dollar she had personally received from the Lubavitcher Rebbe over twenty years ago. Mrs. Shalit treasured the dollar and had it laminated.

Like every Chabadnik, Mrs. Kantorman would write on each dollar the date she had received it from the Rebbe.

The date on the dollar she gave Mrs. Shalit reads "Tuesday, Chaf Tishrei 5751".

Gilad was released on Tuesday, Chaf Tishrei 5772.

Last edited by hadasa on Tue, Oct 25 2011, 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 2:24 pm
hadasa wrote:
Mrs. Chana Kantorman, a Chabad Shlucha, has a close relationship with Mrs. Shalit. She would bring food to their tent as well as Matzos on Pesach and other items of Yiddishkeit. Just before Pesach, she presented Mrs. Shalit with a dollar she had personally received from the Lubavitcher Rebbe over twenty years ago. Mrs. Shalit treasured the dollar and had it laminated.

Like every Chabadnik, Mrs. Kantorman would write on each dollar the date she had received it from the Rebbe.

The date on the dollar she gave Mrs. Shalit reads "Tuesday, Chaf Tishrei 5751".

was that the date he was released? (im not so great at following the english calendar, even more so the hebrew)

amother

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 2:32 pm
Maybe they'll become frum now.

Barbara

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 2:56 pm
amother wrote:

If being frum means taking pot shots at a family that has suffered so much over the past few years, I hope not.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 2:57 pm
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:

If being frum means taking pot shots at a family that has suffered so much over the past few years, I hope not.

Huh?

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 5:10 pm
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:

What she said.

Here is an article about it: www.israelnationalnews.com/New.....IzDSg

yummy2

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 5:22 pm
So inspiring op! Thank you so muc,h for sharing :)beautiful story! Wow.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 5:40 pm
And here is the story quoted from an email I received this morning:

This the kind of story that you read about in books or hear from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard from a friend etc. I heard this story at the Kotel on Simchat Torah and thought it was too fantastic to be true... until I met the Shliach whose story it is in Shul this morning and heard it again first hand. I'm recounting this to the best of my knowledge... I hope you'll forgive me if I get any of the details wrong...

Rabbi and Rebbetzen Eliyahu and Chana Canterman are the Chabad Shluchim in Talbiyeh, Jerusalem. They live around the corner from my family's apartment and the Rebbetzen is a cousin of my Rabbi's wife back in Manchester, England. I first met them about three years ago when they set up their Chabad house. I went to help make a Minyan in their apartment for a member of their community who needed to say Kaddish. They struck me then as typical Chabad Shluchim, with a home that was open to all, and always willing to go that extra mile for another Jew regardless of the inconvenience caused to themselves.

When they founded their Chabad House, one of the projects that the Cantermans took on, along with other Chabad Shluchim and local organisations, was to provide meals each day to the parents of Gilad Shalit, Aviva and Noam, at the protest tents outside the Prime Minister's residence on the border of Talbiyeh & Rechavia. Naturally, they became close friends with Aviva and Noam, providing not only food but emotional and pyschological support during this time.

Around Purim time last year, Chana Canterman brought a special gift to Aviva Shalit along with her meal: a dollar that she had received many years before from the Lubavitcher Rebbe that was to be given to a worthy charity. "Take this dollar" said Chana, "and may it be a Segulah (merit) that Gilad be released this year". Aviva accepted the dollar gratefully and carried it with her wherever she went.

Rebbetzen Canterman didn't hear anything more about the dollar until she received a text from Aviva Shalit last Wednesday, the 19th of October (the 21st of Tishrei), the day after her son, Gilad, had come home. In the text, Aviva asked Rebbetzen Canterman if she remembered when she had received the dollar from the Rebbe. Unsure, the Rebbetzen replied that she didn't remember exactly when she had received it as it was over twenty years before, but that, as with all dollars given by the Rebbe to be distributed to charity, the date should be written on the dollar itself.

The date on the dollar that the Rebbetzen gave to Aviva Shalit before Purim, the dollar that she had received over twenty years before from the Lubavitcher Rebbe was Chaf (the twentieth of) Tishrei, the date that Gilad Shalit came home to his family and his people.

Hope you all get as much from the above as I did... I know for a fact that the Rabbi and Rebbetzen aren't publicising this story themselves as they don't want people to think their motives for helping the Shalits were anything other than altruistic, however, I feel that it's too amazing, too inspiring a story to keep from other people.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 11:33 pm
I want to share a similar story that I experienced. I dated for a long time and finaly met my husband long after my friends were married. It was a challenge. On my wedding day my mother gave me an envelope containing a dollar from the rebbe that my grandfather gave me as chanuka gelt on my first chanuka. He received the dollar from the rebbe a few months before I was born. I looked at the dollar, in his handwriting he noted the date the rebbe handed him the dollar. That is the date of my engagement.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 3:48 am
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:

I didn't take amother's comment as being rude. If this dollar thing was posted in Inspirational, and is meant to be inspirational to those of us who are already frum and aren't even Lubavitch, even more so it should inspire the Shalit family, no??

I'm amother because I'm tired of people looking into sinister motives for chas v'shalom wanting people to become frum. And I can't follow up on this today to "defend" my evil position.

Raizle

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 3:59 am
I agree with the last amother, I don't think the poster meant to be rude. Tactless she may have been but I don't think she meant it the way it was taken

Simple1

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 5:38 am
Interesting story.
I don't think amother's comment was meant as a pot shot. Seems to me like she meant it sincerely.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 9:27 am
Simple1 wrote:
Interesting story.
I don't think amother's comment was meant as a pot shot. Seems to me like she meant it sincerely.

Yes, I'm the amother and thank you to those who defended me and gave me the benefit of the doubt. How can it be a bad thing to hope they become frum now? Am I not on a frum website here? Sheesh, I'm always amazed at how one person can distort an innocuous comment and cause others to jump on the bandwagon.

After reading and hearing from all sorts of big Rabbanim about how the Shalits did not acknowledge Hashem in their speeches, I find it very sad, and can only hope that this will trigger something in their pintele yid.

thankyou

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 9:49 am
I was sure amother meant it as a cynical comment...oh well. I guess we each read posts according to our own thoughts...

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 1:24 pm
Sorry. Mebbe it has something to do with you posting as amother. If I would've seen the comment under a regular screen name I wouldn't have suspected cynicism. Sorry again.

Barbara

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 1:34 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
Sorry. Mebbe it has something to do with you posting as amother. If I would've seen the comment under a regular screen name I wouldn't have suspected cynicism. Sorry again.

No apologies from me.

Kol hakavod to this Lubavitcher woman (whose name I regrettably forget) who showed such kindness and concern for the Shalit family throughout their travails. And what an example she provided of having faith in Hashem even through terrible times.

But I'll bet a dollar -- not signed by anyone other than the Secy of the Treasury -- that she didn't try to shove frumkeit in their faces.

To make a catty comment about a family who has endured so much, however, simply strikes me as lower than the belly of a snake. And I have no doubts in my mind that the comment at issue was catty.

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Oct 28 2011, 2:38 am
Barbara wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:

No apologies from me.

Kol hakavod to this Lubavitcher woman (whose name I regrettably forget) who showed such kindness and concern for the Shalit family throughout their travails. And what an example she provided of having faith in Hashem even through terrible times.

But I'll bet a dollar -- not signed by anyone other than the Secy of the Treasury -- that she didn't try to shove frumkeit in their faces.

To make a catty comment about a family who has endured so much, however, simply strikes me as lower than the belly of a snake. And I have no doubts in my mind that the comment at issue was catty.

Why? how can you have no doubt that you know the intent of a person? All you saw was a one sentence post and you are so convinced that you know EXACTLY what she meant? I have to admit that that does not sound rational at all. Had you heard the tone of her voice while saying it, I would be more inclined to think that you have more of an understanding, but from a one line post? Come on, Barbara.

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Oct 28 2011, 2:40 am
And I have to add, the amother already came back and clarified what she meant. Why can't you just accept her explanation at face value, Barbara? She said it was an innocuous comment.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 28 2011, 3:11 am
ChossidMom wrote:
And I have to add, the amother already came back and clarified what she meant. Why can't you just accept her explanation at face value, Barbara? She said it was an innocuous comment.

Thanks ChossidMom. Now I regret that I posted as amother, but don't really want to "come out" now. I guess I could see how the comment could be construed as cynical (after all, "amother" does not have the best reputation). I'll try to be careful from now on when I write one-liners.

It seems Barbara is not saying this is cynicism about the dollar story. Rather she seems to have a theme of being anti- pushing religion down the throat and seems to think I'm ridiculing the Shalit family. I'm not doing either.

I'm disappointed by the lack of public hakaras hatov towards G-d, whether the Shalits are frum or not. However, I felt their pain these years and despite being against the deal, I am happy for them that they have their son back and that Hashem chose to give them that amazing gift. And yes, I hope that they can recognize where the gift came from and find their way to serve Hashem in our tradition... not because I have an agenda to push religion down everyone's throat, but because I think it will make the Shalits' lives all the better for it, and it would be a kiddush Hashem.

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Oct 28 2011, 3:25 am
Well, I reckon, amother, that they recognize the Divine Providence in the dollar bill issue. A person doesn't become frum overnight and all spiritual growth usually happens as a process, over time. Who knows how this will affect their lives. It's all up to them in the end, isn't it? We all receive signs of Hashem's intervention in our lives. Sometimes we ignore them and sometimes we acknowledge... I'm not expecting totally secular people to become frum as a result of something that could even be seen a a "coincidence".
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational