Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
How early did you notice the signs?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 7:05 pm
At what age did you notice the signs of ADHD? At what age did you get your child evaluated? My baby is 6 months old, so I know it's way too early to worry, but I can't help it- my husband has very severe ADHD and I know it can be hereditary, so I worry about our kids having it. I love DH, but he struggles so much, and by extension so do I, and we don't want our kids to have to struggle like that; even if we can't prevent them from actually having it, we can get a head start in keeping it under control. I do sometimes notice things in the baby that might be it, but I am aware that it's probably more because I'm looking for it or reading into things. Still, I worry and I want to keep one step ahead. What was your experience with your ADHD child as a baby?

wifey

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 7:08 pm
I dont think you can tell as a baby. Their attention span is supposed to be 2 seconds. With my brother I noticed it in 1st/2nd grade. He wasn't diagnosed until 5th/6th.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 7:37 pm
my son was evaluated and diagnosed at 4, but I knew much earlier- he was just too young for evaluation. his teachers and therapists and I have all been saying it since he was about 2.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 10:15 pm
My son was diagnosed at 2 years old

amother

Post Sun, Oct 09 2011, 4:09 pm
Op- I kind of know how you feel.
My DH is not officialy diagnosed ADD but since we got married I noticed something was definately up, he has a tonn of ADD behaviours coupled with I believe learning problems (also undiagnosed?!?!? He struggled through school but worked really hard and had tutors)

Anyway, my DC is the spitting image of my DH's side of the family and is developing differently to my other kids, I am also worried about this.
I have had my DCs development cheaked and so far only behind in one area but I think DC might have been unable to focus or follow through on that part.
Keep an eye on development. Also ped is much more likely to keep an eye out for it if your DH is diagnosed already and its in the family.

My DC is 2.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 5:34 pm
my son was just diagnosed and he is 8.
As a baby he was a model child. When he was 2.5 yrs old, he suddenly became a handful and stayed that way until now :-)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)