Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
When or when not to?

Tefila

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 3:42 pm
When do we stop inviting girls or boys in fam to our homes when we have older kids?
At what age and what about cousins etc?

Tefila

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 10:15 pm
You see I am just starting to have this dilemma and both my husband and I can't fully decide on what to do? Confused

supermom

Post Fri, Feb 18 2005, 2:41 am
why should it be a problem? I always enjoyed my cousins coming over girls or boys it is not like I am gonna actualy marry any of them. And if by chance one of your kids do marry their cousins which I have seen done before then what is so bad, then it was meant to be no? And the worst that could possible be is that you would become a grandmother/great aunt/mother in law and the like in a span of a year. And if you do decide not to have them over you are depriving your kids of family.

gryp

Post Fri, Feb 18 2005, 9:22 am
freilich- im not sure why its different than unrelated boys and girls. I stopped playing with my boy cousins way before bas mitzvah, and definitely by the time I was 9, I dont remember exactly. but that was playing together. as far as talking and having conversations, it just became "hi how are you."
I grew up surrounded by so many first cousins I couldnt remember all their names although we saw them a few times a year. the other girl and boy cousins did interact more than I did which I thought was strange, but since we kept more than they did I was used to being different.

ForeverYoung

Post Fri, Feb 18 2005, 10:57 am
Freilich, I think if the kids are frum, a clever sitting arrangement will do the trick.
I the kids in question are more modernish, then when they notice opposite relations is the time for separation. Gotta watch them!

zuncompany

Post Fri, Feb 18 2005, 11:54 am
RG- B"H you have such a large family. My kids can't claim to have that many cousins. The ones they have we cherish! I think RG made a good point though- the kids over time will seperate themselves. I have seen families who I was close with while becoming frum where the kids didn't touch and horseplay, but they had good relationships.

sara

Tefila

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 3:27 pm
Anyone-else, any have more suggestions like who or who not to invite for pesach seder night!

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 4:44 pm
you're talking about Seder!!!
that's a different story

remember wine???

if I had a 'mixed' crowd, I would serve Grape juice only!!!

you never know who didn't eat anything that day & might get tipsy!!!

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 5:02 pm
ForeverYoung wrote:

you never know who didn't eat anything that day & might get tipsy!!!

Don't worry FY, the seder is motzei shabbos this year, so everyone will have had what to eat that day. but I agree that seder is diff. than a reg. shabbos meal. it matters how many ppl. you're talking about and as FY said you still may be able to handle it w/ a good seating plan.

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 5:14 pm
good point, 0613 Smile

However, just keep in mind that small - framed/ sized people get intoxicated faster.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics