Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
What to do with 1 liter of milk

baba

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 10:12 am
I have a some milk that really needs to be used.

I'm posting here cause we like to eat on the healthy side.
I'm preferably looking for dinner ideas.

TIA

Liba

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 10:17 am
I would make farina (cream of wheat). I am not sure how well that works for you for dinner, but for us lunch is our main meal and dinner is often hot cereal or sandwiches. Smile

sarahd

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 10:26 am
Send it to me. I'll make yogurt out of it and send it back. Wink That's what I do with milk that needs to be used.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 10:31 am
I second yogurt.

Another idea is to beat 8 eggs, add 2 C flour, 2 C milk and bake in well greased pan for 20 minutes or so at 425 (I find this works better in a toaster oven, otherwise I need a longer baking time). It puffs up. High in protein. Sometimes I add a pinch of salt or blueberries or something for flavoring. Serve with jelly or honey on the side for dipping in.
I made this on Sunday and it was my breakfast, my kids' lunch, another kid's dinner Monday night, and we still have a few pieces left for tomorrow's breakfast.

baba

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 10:32 am
Haha Sarahd, be careful of what you wish for, I'm not that far away, I might just pop in and expect yogurt in return!

Thanks Liba, but I dont think I'll be making that. I dont have any farina, plus it is our main meal (not that we never have sandwiches).

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 10:39 am
I would go for a rice pudding...you don't have to make it sugary.
This one is complicated but looks good.
http://realfoodforlife.com/bro.....ding/

This one is simpler.
I would think more for breakfast, but it does sound good, and warm, if the weather is cold, it would be nice and filling.

http://www.food.com/recipe/cre.....19390

but then again I'm weird enough I would eat this for dinner...you can always hold onto it for breakfast.

SV

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 10:40 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Another idea is to beat 8 eggs, add 2 C flour, 2 C milk and bake in well greased pan for 20 minutes or so at 425 (I find this works better in a toaster oven, otherwise I need a longer baking time). It puffs up. High in protein. Sometimes I add a pinch of salt or blueberries or something for flavoring. Serve with jelly or honey on the side for dipping in.
I made this on Sunday and it was my breakfast, my kids' lunch, another kid's dinner Monday night, and we still have a few pieces left for tomorrow's breakfast.

This sounds interesting. What does it taste like? Also, would adding some sugar work?

shoemaker

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 10:58 am
DAIRY POTATOE SOUP OR BEAN SOUP.
ICE COFFE LATTE.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 11:00 am
SV wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

This sounds interesting. What does it taste like? Also, would adding some sugar work?
I got it from here: http://oceansofjoy.wordpress.c.....uffs/ -- but I use regular milk half the time instead of buttermilk (or my version which is milk with lemon juice Smile)
You can definitely put sugar in the batter, but I personally think it's too much of an egg taste to support it. (I like French toast made with salt, not sugar, so that's where I'm coming from.)

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 11:08 am
I second the potato soup idea.
HY's suggested also sounds delicious.

Seraph

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 11:25 am
Fry onions and garlic. Mix milk with some corn starch. Add to the fried onions and garlic, heat until thick. Spice with nutmeg and parsley, salt to taste. Use this white sauce on pasta, on a white pizza, on potatoes, on veggies, or wherever you like white sauce. Its delish.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking