Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Should I apply for the job?

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:17 am
I'm working mornings these days, babysitting and doing light housework. It pays pretty well by Israeli standards, but as neither my husband nor I have full time work right now, it doesn't actually make ends meet. I'm looking around for other jobs, both afternoon and full time--the woman I work for in the morning knows that I'll leave her if and when I find full-time work, so that's not a problem.

I saw an ad for someone looking for a nanny, ten-hour days a good hour or so bus ride from where I live (we don't have a car). That's a totally insane schedule, but it is full-time work. I can't decide whether I should apply or not.

For the record, we don't have any kids yet (I would NOT work these crazy hours if I did!), but we are in shana rishona and this would mean not seeing much of my husband. It's also only a commitment for 8 months, and I'm not pregnant now, so I certainly could do this, physically.

Um, I don't actually know whether I've got this in the right place. Should I have cross-posted to Life in Israel? Is cross-posting even allowed?

Anyway, should I apply for this job? If anyone has advice, I'd love to hear it!

freidasima

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:21 am
Ten hours a day is a lot, and it depends how much she is paying and what she wants you to do.
But if it is n eight month committment and she is paying a lot of money for it, it might be an idea so that you have a steady job. I assume it's only five days a week so you will have friday and shabbos however being out of the house 12 hours a day (I assume 7 AM to 7 PM or something like that) won't leave you much time or strength for your own house and cooking and cleaning etc. Is your husband into doing around the house? Will he be willing to clean and shop so that all you have to do when you get home is cook? Sure, it would be great to look for something closer like that, but again it all depends on the money. In a good area for something like that they should be offering you at least 4500 shekel a month plus benefits (bituach leumi, pension, sick days, etc.) or even more.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:27 am
esheschayil wrote:
I'm working mornings these days, babysitting and doing light housework. It pays pretty well by Israeli standards, but as neither my husband nor I have full time work right now, it doesn't actually make ends meet. I'm looking around for other jobs, both afternoon and full time--the woman I work for in the morning knows that I'll leave her if and when I find full-time work, so that's not a problem.

I saw an ad for someone looking for a nanny, ten-hour days a good hour or so bus ride from where I live (we don't have a car). That's a totally insane schedule, but it is full-time work. I can't decide whether I should apply or not.

For the record, we don't have any kids yet (I would NOT work these crazy hours if I did!), but we are in shana rishona and this would mean not seeing much of my husband. It's also only a commitment for 8 months, and I'm not pregnant now, so I certainly could do this, physically.

Um, I don't actually know whether I've got this in the right place. Should I have cross-posted to Life in Israel? Is cross-posting even allowed?

Anyway, should I apply for this job? If anyone has advice, I'd love to hear it!
I would totally go for this job. When I was single I worked as a nanny, also about 10 hours a day, and I brought home a nice pay check. I did it also a bit after we got married. Its a good way to have a full time job and if the pay is good, it is very much worth while. I guess it depends where it is and if the hourly pay will be good. As for shana rishona, does your husband work also? When does he/ would he get home every night? Usually anyway, most couples see each other at night, after the day is done.
I would totally go for this job. It seems ideal to me.

shabri

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:27 am
Why wouldn't you apply and see what happens. They you can stress about whether you should take the job.

I prob would take it but it depends on the pay

Strawberry2

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:29 am
If you don't mind the long hours it sounds great.

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:30 am
Oh--um, the other factor here is that I've not yet done ulpan, so I definitely wouldn't have time for it. I'd wanted to do it now, while I can and before we have any children iy"H, but if I take this job then that'd be on hold for 8 months.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:32 am
esheschayil wrote:
Oh--um, the other factor here is that I've not yet done ulpan, so I definitely wouldn't have time for it. I'd wanted to do it now, while I can and before we have any children iy"H, but if I take this job then that'd be on hold for 8 months.
which is more important right now? work, ie: more money coming in? or to learn hebrew? thats question you have to ask yourself.

thankyou

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:44 am
Everyone pretty much said it all (it;s a matter of priotiries and necessity) but I just wanted to add that you should calcualte if along with the travelling time it still is a good pay (meaning when you calcualte how much you make per hour you should not think of it as 10 hours but as 12 or however much time you will be out of the house everyday).

crl

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 5:49 am
I definitely agree with the above posters -- it depends on how much you will be getting paid and if it is still worth it after travel costs. But if it's only 8 months and it's good, consistent work, and it will help you financially, I'd say go for it.

I have a job that's about 10 hours a day out of the house, and my husband is out of the house for 13 hours. I've been married 8 months and it definitely was a bit difficult when we both started working to start not seeing as much of each other, but on the other hand, it gives you some time to yourself (On the bus you can just chill, read, listen to music/shiurim) that you otherwise wouldn't get to do, and it will make you appreciate the time with your husband much more. (Also, it makes Shabbos feel even more incredible because it's like "A whole day for meeeeeeee and my huuuusssband!" Very Happy)

I agree that hopefully your husband can help in terms of household chores; we split the chores pretty evenly, but Friday I have more time than him so I do most of the major cleaning then. I cook, he does the dishes, we both do laundry on Sundays. Also, crock pots are my absolute favorite thing in the world! I dump pretty much any combo of chicken and vegetables and/or rice into the crock pot in the morning, set it on low, and when I get home...dinner! I also make soups this way when we have leftover night.

Ultimately, it's up to you, but getting ahead financially is a big deal so if this would help and you wouldn't be totally overwhelmed, I'd say go for it. Or at least apply and see what happens. Smile Hatzlocha!

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 5:56 am
A couple of years ago I took a similar job. I still had plenty of time to do my own things. It is short term. If you do get pregnant and you can't manage, quit. As long as you did not go into the situation knowing you would not keep your commitment, I think you are ok. Any employer should realize it is a possibility.

mini

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 6:03 am
For temporary is good till you find another job
Good luck

blue eyes

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 1:00 pm
For israelis beign that jobs are so hard to come by and this is only an 8 month commintment ( and it works out at this point in life) I'd do it.
as far as cooking dinner maybe you can try to cook on sundays for the week etc just make sure your DH will know that having a solid job might just make your home a bit on the back burner as far as cleanliness dinners etc and you might need his help with it just becuz you are only human and prob wont be able to juggle both as a top priority

kb

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:58 pm
Even if you're not pregnant now, a 10 hour work day might be a bit much for you if you do get pregnant... (I don't know how anyone works in the first trimester, but people do, so maybe it's not really such a big deal.)

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 2:32 am
blue eyes--what Sunday? After coming home at 8pm I should start cooking for the week? I don't even know how that's possible.

kb--yeah...this is one reason the idea of pregnancy scares me a little, knowing that my life may very well be on hold for months before there's even a baby....

kb

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 4:52 am
Your life doesn't go 'on hold'. It just slows down a bit.

catonmylap

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 6:57 am
10 hour workday with an hour commute each way--no way!!!

wait for something more reasonable...

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 1:26 pm
10 hrs with a one hr commute is a pretty typical job in the US....but one that pays somewhat well. So I would do it depending on the pay.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics