Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Can potato kugel be frozen and still taste good?

indianamom4

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 1:48 am
I am having a lot of company for sukkos and in order to lower my stress level, I want to cook as much in advance as I can. I know that different people say different things about if pk can freeze well, and I just was wondering what everyone here thought. What
Any tips? I need easy side dishes that can freeze, but I am limited in what I make since I have food allergy issues, diabetes, celiac, and high blood pressure to add to the mix!
My in-laws are all coming and I am getting a bit stressed out-any ideas? I cant think of anything that I have not already made a million times already! Idea

queen

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 6:12 am
when cooking for shabbos this week, make a double recipe of potato kugel. Place one in the freezer, and try it out next week.........

I've frozen p.kugel before, but only used it for inside the cholent..... so can't really answer more than what I've offered.

Good luck with all your company!

supermom

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 6:49 am
queen great idea Thumbs Up

technic

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 7:23 am
I regularly freeze potato kugel (whole and in individual portions) and it tastes fine - then again, maybe ive 4gotten how its REALLY meant 2 taste! LOL

smile

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 7:39 am
I always freeze it and it taste fine.

elisecohen

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 8:21 am
Just be sure to heat it thoroughly before serving or it can be sort of soggy.

Kumphort

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 9:13 am
place it straight from the freezer into the oven to defrost this way the extra water which is retained from freezing, will bake right out

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 3:05 pm
did someone once mention freezing a raw potato kugel?
I've never frozen potato kugel (and mostly because I CAN'T make p.k.- it never comes out right for me Sad )

RivkaS

Post Mon, Oct 17 2005, 3:50 am
613 wrote:
I've never frozen potato kugel (and mostly because I CAN'T make p.k.- it never comes out right for me Sad )

Why not?
Try to pure hot - very hot - oil into the patatoe mix, than it bakes from the inside and is more brown and tasty.

newme

Post Mon, Oct 17 2005, 4:49 am
I second these opinions
The most important thing is to defrost straight from freezer in the oven (underbake just a wee bit to begin with to compensate for the re-baking).
That way you don;t get the dry crstally texture upon defrosting and it tastes fresh and yummy.
Bon Apetit Wink

willow

Post Mon, Oct 17 2005, 6:17 am
I made a potato kugel and froze it. then defrosted and put in the oven. It was still a bit soft( we like it crispy on the outside) so I brainstormed and put a little oil on the top of the kugel then I continued to warm it. It tasted great.

withhumor

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 12:44 pm
I do the eggs & oil & salt and pepper first and set aside. THEN I peel the potato and in less than one minute, make sure to add them to the food processor and then real quick into the mixture and mix with a fork. The faster you do it, the nicer and whiter the kugel will be. I also add a TON of water, about 1/3 of the amount of potatoes, and that makes it fluffy and creamy. Without the water, the kugel is like glue. I bake it on 465 for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. I never bother with the hot oil, I think it’s a bubbemeisa.

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 1:34 pm
613 wrote:

This was LAST year, and B"H since then, using a recipe from Queen, I perfected my potato kugel. YUM! (I still have not frozen it though)

shanie5

Post Fri, Sep 29 2006, 5:01 pm
I think I once posted about freezing raw potato kugel. It works great. dont defrost it, just put straight into the oven from the freezer and bake about 1/2 hour longer than usual. the only difference is that the kugel is darker in color than usual cuz potatoes brown quickly when not cooked.

debs

Post Sat, Sep 30 2006, 2:26 pm
In order for the kugel not to come out like glue, rinse the grated potatoes with water in a colandar and drain (in the sink). It reduces the starch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes