Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Heter for Tefillin

amother

Post Fri, Nov 18 2011, 10:23 am
I don't know if this is the rite place, but I need a heter for my DS2 to ware his tefillin on his left arm. Does anyone know a rabbi I culd call? We just moved to a new city & I dont really know the rabbi here enuf to trust him. Our old rabbi thinks its my fault that my ex went OTD wen he left me, so I don't wanna call him.

Anon cuz I asked a bunch of people this allready.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Nov 18 2011, 12:49 pm
I think you should introduce yourselves to the new rabbi. this is a good way to get to know him.

Marion

Post Sat, Nov 19 2011, 11:30 pm
Um, I'm confused. AFAIK most men (all right-handers) wear their tefillin on the left side... And the only reason left-handers wear it on their right is because it's much easier to put them on that way. Why a heter?

chavamom

Post Sun, Nov 20 2011, 12:01 am
amother wrote:
Our old rabbi thinks its my fault that my ex went OTD wen he left me, so I don't wanna call him.

Wow. A rabbi who doesn't believe in bechira chofshis? It's YOUR fault? (sorry for my rant. Carry on).

StrongIma

Post Sun, Nov 20 2011, 7:07 am
what is the reason you are looking for a heter? (Marion's right - don't all men wear them on their left?)

chanahlady

Post Sun, Nov 20 2011, 7:16 am
Don't left-handed men wear them on their right arms?

someoneoutthere

Post Sun, Nov 20 2011, 12:01 pm
Marion wrote:
Um, I'm confused. AFAIK most men (all right-handers) wear their tefillin on the left side... And the only reason left-handers wear it on their right is because it's much easier to put them on that way. Why a heter?

Actually, lefties wear their tefillin on their right arms because the halacha is that you put the tefillin on your "weaker" arm and for a lefty their right side is "weaker". (in halachic terms, for a lefty, the left side is "their right side" ימין שלו vs ימינו של עולם)

Just be aware that for lefty tefillin (ie. tefillin worn on the right arm) the knot has to be done differently so that it sits normally on the arm and can be wrapped properly. There is a way to wrap a righty's tefillin (which goes on the left arm) on a lefty but its a pain.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 20 2011, 1:10 pm
Btw, my husband's a rov, no one needs a heter to wear tefillin on their right arm. If they are right handed the halacha is clear they must wear it on their left arm. If they are left handed (in most things except writing at least according to most Ashkenazi poskim outside of Chabad who hold that the writing hand is the determiner) they must wear it on their right hand. None of this has to do with heterim it's Halacha.

Rodent

Post Sun, Nov 20 2011, 1:17 pm
Curious, what happens if someone breaks their left arm and they're in a full length cast. Does that person wear tefillin over the cast, on the right arm, or do they not use at all? [Husband's at work out of mobile range or I'd call and ask!]

Tzippora

Post Sun, Nov 20 2011, 1:18 pm
amother wrote:
Btw, my husband's a rov, no one needs a heter to wear tefillin on their right arm. If they are right handed the halacha is clear they must wear it on their left arm. If they are left handed (in most things except writing at least according to most Ashkenazi poskim outside of Chabad who hold that the writing hand is the determiner) they must wear it on their right hand. None of this has to do with heterim it's Halacha.

My husband is left handed in many things EXCEPT writing (thank you, Grandma, for switching the pen to his right, now he has terrible penmanship Smile) and was told that he needed to put tefillin on like a righty.

He had never heard that there would be other things that would be considered - do you know what they are, and what the source for that would be? He's a lefty pitcher and batterr (but tennis, swordfighting, and boxing are all righty).

His brain is clearly wired wrong, just looking at this list. LOL

miriamnechama

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 9:19 am
I'm wondering the same ting my ds2 is left handed also but he's got time...

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 10:16 am
DH is a lefty -- mainly in terms of writing. Sports he plays right handed. Other things are mostly either way.

Growing up he was told by an old time Rav to put tefilin on his left hand (like a righty), but after we were married and he'd become much more yeshivish, he investigated this and asked a shayla of a world class posek and was told to switch to put it on his right hand as it is determined by what hand he writes with.

Based on this, he should also hold the kiddush cup in his left hand -- he doesn't though, and he says he just can't hold it then without spilling it -- he needs that to go in is right hand!

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 10:23 am
I have to ask my dh what he does because he is lefty but my father is a lefty (in writing as well) he went to a well known Chassidish rebbe back in the day and was told he could wear on the left hand.

Here is the reason why: Rebbe asked him if there is anything he could do better with the right hand and he said, yeah, the game kugelech. Disclaimer: My father was also an orphan and was teased for a variety of reasons and he explained that he felt he would be teased more if he was different again from other boys. This may have played a factor in the heter, dunno.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children