Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
No sabbath mode oven keeping food hot
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 1:40 pm
Just moved into rental and realized there is NO sabbeth mode on oven. Having guests this shabbos. SHabbis is early here and shul is still pretty late. Any ideas on hw to keep stuff warm. I dont have a blech nor will I have time to get one before this Shabbos (live far from jewish stores). I am not so worried about my soup.If I turn burner off before candle lighting and leave on burner covered I think it will be hot but what about my chicken and sides. Worried because I have first time guests. Could I put a sterno in oven before Shabbos??

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 2:48 pm
Most ovens today have an automatic shutoff after 12 hours. [one of the features of the shabbos mode is that the oven doesnt turn off].

If your oven has the automatic turnoff, just leave it on with a low temperature and it will turn off in the middle o the night. This is what I do every shabbos. I only use shabbos mode for yomtov.

You may want to test this idea out before shabbos to make sure your oven doesnt beep constantly when turned off.

grace413

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 2:52 pm
Did you check to see if the oven has a timer which turns it off whenever you want? Many ovens have this. If it has one, operate it in this mode in advance to see if it works.

ricky ticky

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 3:24 pm
My sil puts lots of tea lights on the floor of the oven.. and says it works! dont know how long it takes for them to burn down but for the night meal id guess it should be fine

lkwdmommy

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 3:26 pm
I don't think putting on the timer is a good idea. Usually, the oven beeps to inform you that it turned off. You don't want that going the whole Shabbos.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 3:53 pm
ricky ticky wrote:
My sil puts lots of tea lights on the floor of the oven.. and says it works! dont know how long it takes for them to burn down but for the night meal id guess it should be fine

There have been warnings published not to do this as it can cause an explosion.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 3:56 pm
If it's not a digital you are probably in luck, either the timer idea or the automatic shutoff should work without beeping. If however, it's digital, no luck. Put it on a very high temp a few minutes before the zman and let it sit in closed oven, won't be piping hot, but it should be warm.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 4:01 pm
my oven only beeps for a few seconds. My milchig oven beeps for about a minute. I leave it on a timer set to go off before we eat. I was under the impresion that you cannot open modern electric (maybe gas as well) ovens on shabbos because this automatically makes the temperature go up.

ElTam

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 4:15 pm
Use a cookie sheet as a blech. Just put an empty pot or two (upside down) and put the things you want to warm up on top of the pots. I don't have a blech for Pesach and I'm not kashering my year round blech.

Are you making stuff in the crock pot? I sometimes put stuff on top of the crockpot. Not in a pot, but wrapped in foil. I can warm rice, kugel like that.

Kumphort

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 4:48 pm
I used to heat my oven up to like 450 before shabbos, obviously take the food out while doing this, and then shut it off, and keep it closed until you need it.

lkwdmommy

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 5:10 pm
Well, my over beeps for like 24 hours. I can tell you from experience... Sad

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 5:12 pm
lkwdmommy wrote:

really? I've had about 5 different ovens, and none of them did that.

MommytoB

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 6:05 pm
Are you positive there is no shabbos mode? Did you google your oven model?

mosma

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 7:45 pm
I heard that if you put 2 or 3 tea lights in the oven and close the door, it keeps everything really warm. I don't think 2 or 3 would make it explode. that's just weird. why would it explode?

myself, I just put my oven on 350 right before shabbos and then put everything in and shut it off. it stays warm for about an hour and a half...ish.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 7:49 pm
it might be a problem because the carbon dioxide has no where to escape because it's closed it. It can build up.

mosma

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 7:49 pm
I've been googling and there is NOTHING about the dangers of tea lights in an oven...

carbon dioxide build up from 3 tea lights? that will make an oven blow up? that seems improbable...

momomany

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 7:57 pm
I have used tea lights in the oven to keep food warm on Friday nights. Warm the food in the oven at no higher than 250-275 for at least an hour. Then shut the oven and put 5-6 tealights on a cookiesheet on the floor of the oven. Keep the oven door closed until you need it, to prevent heat from escaping. I was once tempted to heat the oven to a higher temp. When I shut the oven and put in the tealights, the wax melted quickly and the flames got out of control & ignited together creating a huge fire & a sooty mess. The same thing happened to a friend of mine, so please make sure to preheat the oven at the temp described above, and you should be fine.

SomebodyElse

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 8:14 pm
Raisin wrote:
lkwdmommy wrote:

really? I've had about 5 different ovens, and none of them did that.

Believe it. I had ovens in two apartments that did this.

SomebodyElse

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 8:21 pm
Fabulous wrote:
If however, it's digital, no luck. Put it on a very high temp a few minutes before the zman and let it sit in closed oven, won't be piping hot, but it should be warm.

This is what I do. Additionally, leaving the oven light on helps keep it warm in there. As does having food with a good amount of liquid/sauce.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 9:09 pm
You don't need a Shabos mode if you will turn off before you take the food out.

Buy a plata - you can even get one online.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen