Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Only one dishwasher

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 7:43 am
I was at someone's house the other day and when we were clearing the dishes, she told me to put them in the dishwasher. I don't remember exactly how the first part of the conversation went, but it was something along the lines of me expressing envy over her dishwasher (I'm in Israel and I think I can count on one hand the number of people I've met who have one). Then she said yeah, thanks to this dishwasher she never has to wash any dishes, isn't it so awesome.

I was like shock wait a minute, but presumably you have both meat and dairy in your house? And you put them both in the same dishwasher?

"Yes, but not at the same time. We're Sephardi. To each their own rav."

(NOT trying to bash Sephardim here! just repeating the conversation.)

I went home and asked my husband if he knew anything about this practice. As far as we both know, this is completely unacceptable because dishwashers can't really be kashered.

Does anyone know different? Is this acceptable by any opinion? At this point, my husband and I are both reluctant to go to this person again.

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 7:50 am
Many Sephardi poskim are more lenient about a psak called "nosein ta'am lif'gam." This means that when food residue is mixed with something that spoils the taste (like soap or detergent), then it becomes inedible and is not considered having a meat or dairy status since it isn't food anymore. This is why many Sephardim will use the same dishwasher for meat and dairy, as well as the same sink and sponges.

This is normal.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 7:51 am
Yes sephardim can do it. AND both my parents and inlaws do this - as per shailas asked of separate yeshivish rabbeim - they're not frum but their kids are. And we can eat off their dishes no prob. It's all in the soap.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 7:51 am
amother wrote:
Yes sephardim can do it. AND both my parents and inlaws do this - as per shailas asked of separate yeshivish rabbeim - they're not frum but their kids are. And we can eat off their dishes no prob. It's all in the soap.

Oh and we're all ashkenazic

amother

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 7:55 am
I don't know anything about Sephardi opinions, but R' Moshe Feinstein allowed it.
If you want the precise source, let me know and I'll try to find it.

morah

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 7:56 am
Yes, some sephardim allow (my husband is sephardi, but his Rav does not happen to allow it). The ones I know that do this say they were told to run an empty cycle in between.

Amital

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 8:01 am
Common Sephardic pasuk. Loads are meat OR dairy, and some soap is in the machine directly instead of just the little cup. Some do a plain wash between meat and dairy, but our Rav said it's a "extra".

amother

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 11:40 am
We're Sephardi (well, Dh is). We used to use our dishwasher for both (not simultaneously) per the psak of dh's Rav. Now we decided to designate our new dishwasher for one only. Reason is for guests. Even though we feel it's okay, we want our guests to feel comfortable by us without having to call their Rav.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 1:43 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
Many Sephardi poskim are more lenient about a psak called "nosein ta'am lif'gam." This means that when food residue is mixed with something that spoils the taste (like soap or detergent), then it becomes inedible and is not considered having a meat or dairy status since it isn't food anymore. This is why many Sephardim will use the same dishwasher for meat and dairy, as well as the same sink and sponges.

This is normal.

I'm not sure about sinks and sponges. But definitely head the same psak on dishwashers--though this does not apply if the inside of dishwasher is porous material.

shlomitsmum

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 2:43 pm
We were told the liniency is for stainless interior DW only consult your LOR. we have 2 DW cause I hate rinsing so if someone ate yogurt it would drip in there ... Twisted Evil I hate touching dirty dishes .

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 2:48 pm
I have never heard this p'sak, but I assume it is given by many reliable rabanim. would it be a problem for me (as an ashkenazi person who was never given this p'sak) to eat in the house of someone who hold by this if my rav holds that such a thing is not ok?
NOT BASHING just asking

Fabulous

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 3:43 pm
akivachaya wrote:
I have never heard this p'sak, but I assume it is given by many reliable rabanim. would it be a problem for me (as an ashkenazi person who was never given this p'sak) to eat in the house of someone who hold by this if my rav holds that such a thing is not ok?
NOT BASHING just asking

I would have the same question.

nylon

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 4:25 pm
I think that's AYLOR. I can see how a rav might rule either way.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 7:36 pm
We do it and love it. But the food is all completely removed before it goes into the dishwasher.

We kasher for Pesach too. that, we also love !!

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 7:41 pm
Fabulous wrote:
akivachaya wrote:
NOT BASHING just asking

I would have the same question.

Agree that you should ask your own Rav about this. As far as sinks and sponges, I have Sephardic relatives who wash meat and dairy dishes together in the same sink, in hot water, with the same sponge. Their Rav holds that this is okay for them.

jelly belly

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 7:56 pm
This is a well known psak,and many very respected rabbanim hold by it. Listen, there are a million opinions when it comes to kashrus in the kitchen. You can grill people on their practices, you can choose not to eat in others homes, or you can trust that people who are halacha observant are following a reliable psak. There is no way you will encounter people who do every thing exactly as you do.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 11:38 pm
shlomitsmum wrote:
We were told the liniency is for stainless interior DW only consult your LOR. we have 2 DW cause I hate rinsing so if someone ate yogurt it would drip in there ... Twisted Evil I hate touching dirty dishes .

The whole point is that it's okay if it drips in there as the detergent makes it inedible. Remember, the psak is for separate cycles not meat and dairy in there at the same time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen