Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Wow. Just noticed this section
Previous  1  2

chizuk

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 4:18 am
[quote="ChossidMom"]I bake only with 70% whole wheat flour or spelt flour.

My issue is with the white rice and my kids' refusal to eat kasha, barley, brown rice etc.

Also, they have sadly gotten used to sugar with everything - oatmeal, french toast etc.

is brown sugar healthier? or is that just a buba meisa?

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 4:21 am
I think it's a buba maaseh but I do use brown sugar and also demarara sugar (which my mom told me is healthier). They are just soooo used to sweet and it seems like it's too late Crying They're not about to change over to Stevia kwim?

gryp

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 9:46 am
They don't have white whole wheat flour in Israel? I use it for everything I bake except bread, yeast cake, etc. For cookies, cakes, brownies, there's no taste or texture difference. Cookies come out a shade darker.

Last week I ran out of wwwflour and the store didn't have any so I used all purpose flour for choc chip cookies (I had bought it by mistake- the bag is the same color as the high-gluten flour bag), and my kids were like what's wrong with these cookies? They were so pale. They also didn't have the rich wholewheat taste which we're used to so nobody liked them.

A few years ago I started automatically cutting out at least 1/2 the sugar in any recipe. Now I'm shocked to see how much sugar recipes call for. The stuff I bake still comes out pretty sweet and if it were any more sweet, I think I'd get nauseated. I'm always surprised when visitors come over and don't see the difference when they taste my cookies or whatever and don't think it needs more sweetness. The first time I made wholewheat danishes I had guests over and they loved them. These guests aren't used to wholewheat or small amounts of sugar. Recently I made sesame candies and rice crispy treats and the recipes called for both honey (corn syrup, actually) and sugar, of course I didn't put in both. And it was still plenty sweet.

tikva18

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 10:21 am
ChossidMom wrote:
I bake only with 70% whole wheat flour or spelt flour.

My issue is with the white rice and my kids' refusal to eat kasha, barley, brown rice etc.

Also, they have sadly gotten used to sugar with everything - oatmeal, french toast etc.

We are currently experimenting with different store bought whole wheat breads and I'm hoping that they'll find one they like.

My dh greatly prefers white rice over brown - and he found a par-something or other rice that has the same nutrient-wise as brown. My kids didn't care.

I hate kasha, but love barley; sadly we have neither in my house; my kids can't eat it.

I don't think you can expect them to like everything, but there is a lot that can be done. I have my picky eater, who will live on junk. I finally convinced to have dh stop buying the chazerai and lo and behold that child started eating dinner. For some reason, dh started buying junk again Sad and said child went right back to eating it to the exclusion of all else. (Chazerai means granola bars mostly). This picky eater was an extreme situation - and we had to supplement him with protein drinks because he was literally wasting away. The dr. wanted him on pediasure - which I couldn't do since he was allergic to it - lol... the protein drinks were an acceptable option. Smile B"H, he's much, much, much better today.

My kids who eat hot cereal, I don't mind if they have a little sugar in it; I control the amount though.

chizuk

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 5:08 pm
gryp wrote:
They don't have white whole wheat flour in Israel? I use it for everything I bake except bread, yeast cake, etc. For cookies, cakes, brownies, there's no taste or texture difference. Cookies come out a shade darker.

Last week I ran out of wwwflour and the store didn't have any so I used all purpose flour for choc chip cookies (I had bought it by mistake- the bag is the same color as the high-gluten flour bag), and my kids were like what's wrong with these cookies? They were so pale. They also didn't have the rich wholewheat taste which we're used to so nobody liked them.

A few years ago I started automatically cutting out at least 1/2 the sugar in any recipe. Now I'm shocked to see how much sugar recipes call for. The stuff I bake still comes out pretty sweet and if it were any more sweet, I think I'd get nauseated. I'm always surprised when visitors come over and don't see the difference when they taste my cookies or whatever and don't think it needs more sweetness. The first time I made wholewheat danishes I had guests over and they loved them. These guests aren't used to wholewheat or small amounts of sugar. Recently I made sesame candies and rice crispy treats and the recipes called for both honey (corn syrup, actually) and sugar, of course I didn't put in both. And it was still plenty sweet.

I always wanted to do this, does the texture stay the same? I also substitute applesauce for oil in cakes, adds sweetness and the texture is a drop more crumbly but not to much

gryp

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 5:50 pm
Texture stays great, yes.

tikva18

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 6:54 pm
[quote="gebrucks"]
ChossidMom wrote:
I bake only with 70% whole wheat flour or spelt flour.

is brown sugar healthier? or is that just a buba meisa?

I think today it could just be a bubbameisa Smile Brown sugar is supposed to be white sugar with molasses - now blackstrap unsulphered molasses is healthy - however, I think a lot of the brown sugars aren't quite that and some are colored with caramel coloring - so they look good, but are cheap. I think it comes down to caveat emptor - buyer beware. If the molasses is added to refined white sugar... or if something cheaper is added and then food coloring, well you've got garbage.

Bliss

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 1:02 am
ChossidMom wrote:
My kids won't eat brown rice or any healthy grain, for that matter.... I envy you moms that can make that work.

There's rice called basmati which is as healthy as brown rice and looks like white rice.I think the taste also compares to white rice. You can try that if you find it in EY.

elaela

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 1:50 am
I dont like kasha, but couscous, barley, quinoa, kamut, all sorts of other things Smile
dh eats pretty much everything.
we both prefer the taste of white rice, but have no prob eating brown rice
however, smetimes I do cook white rice and simply add lentils, pieces of carrots or other veggis, so that the amount of white rice u eat in the end is less. it tastes great!
maybe thats an alternative. instead of cutting out white rice white aosta etc, add zuccini, carots, beans etc to the grain.
it makes the dish more nutricious and cuts calorie per portion. maybe you can give it to your teenage kids, if they refuse any other type except white grain.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 2:36 am
Bliss wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:
My kids won't eat brown rice or any healthy grain, for that matter.... I envy you moms that can make that work.

There's rice called basmati which is as healthy as brown rice and looks like white rice.I think the taste also compares to white rice. You can try that if you find it in EY.

My kids will ONLY eat white rice. I buy jasmine and basmati. I had NO IDEA that basmati is as nutritious as brown rice. Are you sure about that? It tastes too good to be healthy.

To the poster who suggested adding veggies to my white rice for the kids I say THEY WON'T EAT IT IF IT'S NOT PLAIN, WHITE (even sticky) RICE. GRrrrrrrrr. And rice is their favorite side dish!

I bought a Morphy Richards bread machine yesterday and made my first bread in it. It was nice having a hot bread ready when we got up BUT it didn't taste too good. Confused I used 70% w.w. I am very disappointed. Maybe I'll start a thread looking for good recipes. I want to make something healthful that they will LOVE to eat. Sheesh. I spent enough on the darn machine. I was also hoping to save money on all those expensive w.w breads that we buy.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 7:14 am
basmati rice is pretty expensve. dh bouht it once and I returned it.

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 6:14 pm
I use basmati rice, but have to make plain white rice too as a few o my kids won't eat it-there is a different taste to basmati and they can tell.

Annie

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 9:04 pm
white whole wheat flour has saved us. I moved us to brown rice and whole wheat bread a few months ago
the first few days were hard, but it's better now. I have one very fussy eater who knows when I change anything. He never ate rice, so it wasn't a big deal, however, I can only use 50/50 noodles because he won't eat the 100% ww ones. Okay, it's better than all white. But I use the white ww flour in everything I bake - cakes, cookies, carrot muffins, etc, and he hasn't even noticed (I just have to keep him out of the kitchen). The oil I just cut down b/c when I sub it all out with applesauce the texture changes and he complains. I also use agave syrup sometimes.

I make challah with white whole wheat flour and limited sugar, but not too often b/c I like it too much :-).

My regular eating kids didn't seem to mind the switch to brown rice, they're very receptive to nutrition information and they all (a 12 yr old and two 9 year olds) know how to read nutrition labels and make good choices. Our big focus is protein and finding lower sugared cereals that they'll still eat.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 9:13 pm
Basmati rice IS whole grain / brown rice, right?

joy613

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 10:01 pm
Annie wrote:
white whole wheat flour has saved us. I moved us to brown rice and whole wheat bread a few months ago
the first few days were hard, but it's better now. I have one very fussy eater who knows when I change anything. He never ate rice, so it wasn't a big deal, however, I can only use 50/50 noodles because he won't eat the 100% ww ones. Okay, it's better than all white. But I use the white ww flour in everything I bake - cakes, cookies, carrot muffins, etc, and he hasn't even noticed (I just have to keep him out of the kitchen). The oil I just cut down b/c when I sub it all out with applesauce the texture changes and he complains. I also use agave syrup sometimes.

I make challah with white whole wheat flour and limited sugar, but not too often b/c I like it too much :-).

My regular eating kids didn't seem to mind the switch to brown rice, they're very receptive to nutrition information and they all (a 12 yr old and two 9 year olds) know how to read nutrition labels and make good choices. Our big focus is protein and finding lower sugared cereals that they'll still eat.

Have you tried brown rice noodles?

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 3:48 am
ra_mom wrote:

Nope. Not around these parts. Doesn't look brown and doesn't taste like brown rice. Here it's white.

Britmummy

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 4:00 am
ChossidMom wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Nope. Not around these parts. Doesn't look brown and doesn't taste like brown rice. Here it's white.

Here they sell both brown and white basmati! I bought some this week, but it's very expensive, so an occasional treat for us. It doesn't look much different from the white, but it has a denser texture!

Bambamama

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 4:00 am
ChossidMom wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

ChossidMom, the Sugat brand sells brown Basmati rice. Basmati also comes in white, but the brown has more nutrients of course, and we like it. It might be on the expensive side.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking