Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Spicy salmon for my succos guest

mbk

Post Wed, Oct 04 2006, 11:56 am
Hi ladies.. I was wondering if anyone out there would have a proven delicious recipe for spicy tasty salmon fillet, without the fishy taste. My guest are sephardic and I usually dont cook too spicy . (only tasty)! maybe some salmon fillet in tomato sauce..? thanks...

Coke Slurpee

Post Wed, Oct 04 2006, 12:20 pm
I use Jarred Pasta Sauce - Whatever flavor you like with lots of spices - if u want spicy use minced spices or use fresh garlic, onions and other spices. U can also use black pepper, red pepper and cayenne (pepper? powder?) if u want it extremely spicy. I use enough sauce to cover the whole salmon and bake it till its ready. I think if b4 you add sauce you rub lemon juice on it, it might not be to fishy. Also if you marinade it for a long time before u cook it, it might help as well.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Oct 04 2006, 1:07 pm
Why do you have to give them what they are used to; maybe they'd appreciate a change!

yersp

Post Wed, Oct 04 2006, 1:20 pm
This is the recipe that I use:
(first soak with lemon juice for a while to get the fish taste out)
In a soup bowl put the following:
Salt to taste (about a tsp. can be more or less)
black pepper
about 1 tsp hungarian red pepper (hot paprika)
1 Tsp. garlic powder
a drop of parsely flakes
1 tbs Red Hot Crushed Pepper (more for REAL spicy hot)
1/4 cup olive oil
Fill rest of the plate with hot water

Pour over fish, cover with silver foil and let marinate a long time. A whole day is best
When youre ready to bake, bake it covered 1/2 hr to 45 min.

Tastes good hot or cold!!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Oct 04 2006, 1:22 pm
Sweet & Sour Salmon

Sautee one or two onions in a big pot. Add a cup of sugar and cook until brown. Add a little oil if this makes you nervous. This will take 15 minutes or so.

Add four to six slices of salmon. Add 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup vinegar, and three cups water. Add three bay leaves, a tsp salt, and about 6 tablespoons MORE sugar.

Let cook for about 40 minutes. Eat cold. Will stay good for 2 weeks in fridge!

cindy324

Post Wed, Oct 04 2006, 1:28 pm
I posted this recipe before, but couldn't find it. So here it is again. Warning it is really spicy! And to take away the fishy taste, soak salmon fillets in a bowl of water with some alcohol, like vodka, or white wine for 3-4 hours before cooking.

This recipe is enough for about 4 -5 fillets.

16 oz can tomato sauce
2-3 tbsp oil
2-3 jalapeno peppers, sliced in halves
1 long hot pepper
1 red bell pepper, cut into 4-5 pieces
3-4 cloves garlic
1/2 bunch parsley.

Heat oil, sautee all peppers and garlic in oil for a few minutes, then add tomato sauce and equal amount of water. Cook about half hour on low flame before adding salmon. After half hour add salmon and lay parsley on top. Cook about 1 hour. Serve warm.

I got this recipe from an Israeli lady I met last summer in hotel. DH would've never touched salmon until he tried this . It 's delicious and all my guests love it. The sauce is yummy to dip challa in!

chen

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 6:14 am
SaraG wrote:
Why do you have to give them what they are used to; maybe they'd appreciate a change!

I quite agree. IMO, it is a mistake to serve an "ethnic" guest his own "ethnic" foods, for several reasons:

1. Half the fun of having friends from varied backgrounds is the opportunity to sample varied cuisine. What's the point of going to Morocco and eating at McDonald's, so to speak?

2. It is highly unlikely that you will prepare your ethnic friend's food nearly as well as she does. If you try, you will disappoint on both counts: first, because you will not be allowing her the opportunity to try your ethnic cuisine, and second, because your food will be, at best, a pale facsimile of what she's used to.

3. Seeing that you are so thoughtful as to prepare her ethnic cuisine for her, she will naturally return the favor. If you are a guest in a sepharadi house, would you be looking forward to potato kugel and gefilte fish?

goldrose

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 8:26 am
1 package (5 pieces) salmon, washed and skinned
1 red pepper, julienned and in half
1 green pepper, julienned and in half
4 whole cloves garlic, peeled
2 carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
1 15-oz can chickpeas
2 green jalapenos, rinsed, halved and seeded
salt to taste
2/3 – ½ package fresh coriander, washed and cut into large pieces
6 tbsps oil
6 tbsps paprika
black pepper to taste
½ C water

Spread pepper, garlic, carrots, chickpeas and jalapenos on the bottom of a 9x13 (glass) dish.
Place fish on top of vegetables. Sprinkle salt on the fish and rub it in. Sprinkle coriander over fish. Pour the water into the dish. In a cup, combine oil, paprika and black pepper. Mix and drizzle over fish.
Cover with foil. Bake at 350 for ½ hour. Remove from oven, spoon some juice from the bottom of the pan over each piece of fish. If fish is a little white, sprinkle some paprika on it. Replace in oven, uncovered, and bake for another half hour.

p.s. if you don’t want your fish spicy, either omit the jalapeno, or use just one instead of two.

mbk

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 9:00 am
thanks to all of you... you are all right about the fact that I should serve them something not too familiar to them . The thing is though that they really enjoy spicy food and they will not expect it from me to make it for them, hence the pleasant surprise.. and oh! I am making 2 types of fish. one, is the regular delicious salmon, onions, garlic , lightly spiced, etc, that I make every shabbos and I am also going to try a tomato fish. thanks to you all!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 9:08 am
Glad we could help!

imashosh

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 10:19 am
Well we are sephardic and I make this salmon every shabbos and always comes out delicious not fishy taste, I hate that also.

Ingredients are just pretty much our them in and depends on how many pieces you are making

Oil, Paprika, Tumeric, Fresh Cilantro, Crushed Garlic Cloves, Hot Pepper Flakes and some salt

First Coat the ouside of the salmon in some paprika and black pepper let sit for a few minutes the cover in flour mixed with some more paprika and black pepper. Heat oil in large high sided frying pan that you have a cover for - if you dont have a pan like this just make in regular frying pan and then you will transfer to aluminum pan to finish it. Put Salmon in pan with skin side up and let brown for few minutes, flip over and mix in all above ingredients and about 1/4 cup water more or less depending on how much gravy you want. Put on very small fire cover and let cook for about 20 more minutes. If you want you can add some veggies to it also I like sliced potatoes and tomatoes in it, you can also add peppers or carrots if you like.

Any questions PM me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics