Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Need help remembering a Chanuka thought

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 8:44 am
I think I heard this around last Purim but can't remember where. The idea is, when we are faced with physical annihilation, as in the Purim story, the strategy to combat it should be spiritual (fasting and teshuva, the physical battle was self defense); when the threat is spiritual as in Chanuka, the strategy is a physical battle.
Anyone remember why, and have a source? Thanks!

grin

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 10:09 am
I read this in Lubavitcher DT; I found it now online: Oil and Wine
and also in the name of The Mishna Berura:
(670:2) wrote:
the difference between Purim and Chanukah. By Purim, the decree against the Jewish people was for the physical destruction of the entire nation. However, the nation gathered to pray, study, and repent and they were therefore spared. By Chanukah, there were physical persecutions. However, the purpose for this persecution was to pressure the Jewish people into relinquishing Judaism in favor of the religion the Syrian- Greeks advocated. If the people had succumbed to the pressure, the persecution would have stopped. However, the people fought for their religion and won. These two holidays represent two different types of salvation: physical destruction thwarted by spiritual endeavor, and spiritual destruction thwarted by physical endeavors. G-d's hand was evident in both types of salvation, and is evident in each generation when the Jewish people are confronted with spiritual and physical persecutions. These two holidays represent two different types of danger the Jewish people have faced. They represent two different types of dealing with these dangers. And in both instances, because the dedication of the Jewish people to G-d was steadfast, His light was evident and we, via miracles, were saved.
Torah.org

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 3:20 pm
Thanks Grin. Both of these sources define the reality of strategy depending on the attack, but neither explain WHY. I'm going to go through my notebooks from last winter and see if it I can find something more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational