Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Meatballs or sloppy joe with ground chicken

e1234

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 11:53 am
I used to make something with ground meat once a week until it got very expensive and I assume is not so good for us.

I bought ground chicken today -- can I make meatballs or meat sauce with it?

does anyone have a good recipe?

5*Mom

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 12:16 pm
I use only ground chicken, no beef. Make it exactly as you would with beef.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 12:21 pm
Or use ground turkey. Here that's even cheaper and the dark ground turkey is much moister.

Della

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 12:22 pm
You can line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread (smear) out ground chicken (or turkey) to cover pan. Sautee onions, maybe mushrooms, spice it. Add mashed potatoes (I use boxed, easier), spread on top of chicken/turkey layer. Roll up carefully. It's sticky, so use the parchment paper to help you. Make a sauce of ketchup, lemon juice and brown sugar and put on top of the roll. Bake uncovered, maybe half hour. My whole family loves it.

Sorry---just noticed you asked for meatballs or sloppy joes. Well, maybe you'll like this, too!

onlyme

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 12:57 pm
I always use ground chicken for "meatballs". I mix the chicken with an egg, some rice, and grated onion (or onion powder if I'm in a rush), form balls and cook in tomato juice with lots of sugar (we like it sweet) for at least 1.5 hours, the longer you cook it the softer it gets.

Mishpacha family first had a recipe 2 weeks ago for a meat filling for tacos. I made it and it was really delicious! (served just the meat mixture - no tacos - with mashed potatoes and salad.) Sorry I don't have the recipe handy but maybe someone else can post it for you? (I can get it for you by tomorrow if you don't mind waiting)

I also make chicken burgers often.Soak a challah roll in water and then squeeze it out. Shred it (I do it with my hands) combine with ground chicken, an egg or two and grated onion (or onion powder), salt & pepper. Form burgers, fry in oil or grill on the george forman (I add a bit of oil to the mixture when grilling)

Good luck!

MMCH

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 2:06 pm
u cud do the same way as you would meatballs.. sauce wtvr
I like to sautee tiny diced up onions and shred zuchinni into the mixture.
with spices and breadcrumbs
and bake em.
yum

e1234

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 3:06 pm
recipes for meatballs or sloppy joe would be appreciated - if anyone has any good ones

SS6099

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 5:20 pm
Seriously, tit for tat. I do an even exchange for beef and we like it better.

yummydd

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 5:55 pm
This is my recipe for meatballs. (I do this with dark ground chicken)

1 pack ground chicken (usually about 1 1/2lbs)
3 eggs
1 cup breadcrumbs
3/4 cup selzer
1/4 cup oil
spices
sauted onions

Mix it all together.

For the sauce I do basic:
drop of oil and flour saute, add tomato sauce, water, salt, pepper, sugar. Cook up. Form meatballs and add to sauce. Cook 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 6:50 pm
2 oriental recipes

Chicken meatballs (this is more for serving on its own or with chicken soup. so quite different from beef/turkey meatballs I usually cook in tomato sauce)
1lb chicken mince
1 egg
1tbsp matza meal (substitute with potato flour for pesach/gluten-free version)
2 salad onion/scallion, trim top/roots and finely chopped
4-5 mushrooms OR 1/4 cup water chestnut, chopped
1/2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
pepper

Mix all ingredients in a bowl (or in a ziplock bag for less mess) till uniform consistency. Let rest in the fridge for 10minutes. Heat 4 cups chicken soup (or 4cups water salted or with soup cube) till gently boiling. Form mixture into meatball (the size of a walnut), slightly flatten and drop in the pot. Boil till cooked through. Great served with chicken soup (with egg noodles you can make a complete meal) or on its own.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 6:57 pm
Chinese lettuce parcells
Filling
1tbsp sesame oil
1 lb chicken mince
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 carrots or red pepper, chopped
1/2 courgette/zucchini, grated coarsely
2 teasp soy sauce
red chilli pepper flakes (optional)

Heat sesame oil in a skillet. Stir-fry vegetables for 3-5minutes, then add mince. Continue frying on high flame, stir frequently and break up lumps. Sprinkle soy sauce and pepper flakes. Cook for another 5minutes or so till cooked through. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Wash and check romain or curly lettuce leaves. Tear into size slightly smaller than the size of a palm. Fill with chicken filling right before serving tacos- or wrap-style.

shoemaker

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 9:02 pm
sloppy joe

1 lb ground beef
1 small onion chopped
1/2 c chopped cellery or green pepper ( I skip it )
1 c tomato sauce
1/2 c catshup
2 sbsp brown suger
1/8 tsp black peppe

combine beef, onion & celery in a large skiliet; cook until meet is browned. drain off pan
drippings.add next 4 ing bring to a boil. cover,reduce heat, & simmer for 15 -10 min
stirring occasionally.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 8:55 am
onlyme wrote:
I always use ground chicken for "meatballs". I mix the chicken with an egg, some rice, and grated onion (or onion powder if I'm in a rush), form balls and cook in tomato juice with lots of sugar (we like it sweet) for at least 1.5 hours, the longer you cook it the softer it gets.

Mishpacha family first had a recipe 2 weeks ago for a meat filling for tacos. I made it and it was really delicious! (served just the meat mixture - no tacos - with mashed potatoes and salad.) Sorry I don't have the recipe handy but maybe someone else can post it for you? (I can get it for you by tomorrow if you don't mind waiting)

I also make chicken burgers often.Soak a challah roll in water and then squeeze it out. Shred it (I do it with my hands) combine with ground chicken, an egg or two and grated onion (or onion powder), salt & pepper. Form burgers, fry in oil or grill on the george forman (I add a bit of oil to the mixture when grilling)

Good luck!

Can you (or anyone who has it) please post the recipe? Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics