Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
ISO Healthy Energy Boosting Comfort Food

Pamela

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 5:36 am
Everytime I have my monthly flow I find myself in an extra need of energy since I tend to become very weak (iron pills don't work for me) but my appetite is not the same as usual, being all crampy (and cranky ;-)). Now when I need the energy more than ever. I need some meal/snack idea's of fOod that's light on the stomach but energy boosting and full of healthy calories and nutrients.

Thanks Ladies!!

mom2be1

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 5:40 am
Soup usually does the trick for me it's warm and filling. You can eat it with crackers or croutons and cheese.
Sometimes or rather many times I splurge and have ice cream! cures everything..

shoemaker

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 5:51 am
spinach is light & has lots of iron,

Pamela

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 9:53 am
Ice cream aint a bad idea ;-) but its not a meal. Mayb ill try a spinach soup, ill have the warmth and the iron. Thanks

amother

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 6:25 pm
I usually need Powerade when I have my period. Try it. It helps me from blacking out.

Pamela

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 6:42 pm
These sugary drinks get me nauseous

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 9:59 pm
Walnuts and dates or almond and dates.
I agree with soup.
Pudding, if you don't use a lot of sugar, or substitute some of my fave blackstrap molasses (no I don't sell it I just really like it) can be nourishing and easy on the stomach. I'm talking homemade, not difficult to do at all. You can also make rice pudding, which would also be easy on the stomach.

grin

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 10:02 pm
quick oatmeal - esp. with added almonds and dates

amother

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 1:47 am
spinach is very good and healthy but doesn't actually give you the iron you need bec. it also has calcium and calcium is an iron inhibitor (it doesn't let the iron get absorbed...)

xoxo1

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 4:31 am
liver not so light ,but great for iron .

Pamela

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 5:24 am
Hinda Rochel and grin I see you both mentioned walnuts with dates or almond with dates. Why this combination? Sorry just never heard of it before. Also, grin, what's the best way to cook oatmeal? Would like to try it. Sounds soothing and nutritious

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 6:39 am
Pamela wrote:
Hinda Rochel and grin I see you both mentioned walnuts with dates or almond with dates. Why this combination? Sorry just never heard of it before. Also, grin, what's the best way to cook oatmeal? Would like to try it. Sounds soothing and nutritious

A friend told me about the dates and almonds...they are both high in nutrition. Walnuts are an excellent source of vitamins.

Here's the nutrition data on walnuts. As you can see it has a lot of iron (non-heme, so one might want to include some citrus into the mix)
walnuts
http://nutritiondata.self.com/.....138/2
almonds
http://nutritiondata.self.com/.....086/2
dates
http://nutritiondata.self.com/.....348/2

StrongIma

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 6:52 am
Pamela wrote:
I start almost every morning this way. dates (or raisins) for quick energy, vitamins, and taste; nuts for extra protein and friendly oils.

I just mix the quick oats with a generous amount of milk (or water) and plunk it into the microwave for 1 minute, then add the rest.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 8:04 am
Make some homemade granola bars with nuts and dried fruit (like mentioned). I find it easier to eat than a bowl of warm oatmeal when I want to be noshing.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 10:41 am
I also get really weak from my monthly flow and wondered what to do about it... can't eat anything bec I throw up from the nausea it causes. Any ideas would be great!

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 10:53 am
You don't eat the whole time you are having your cycle? What does go down.
Foods that are easy to digest for most people are things like puddings (don't make it to sweet), dry toast or toast with a bit of honey, very think layer, crackers, tea, clear soups, farina, rice (white rice is probably easier if you are nauseous than brown). I would also wash then eat something dry immediately, then daven and eat more food. You may want to have some protein before going to bed as well, not a lot, but a bit of cheese or some peanut butter, or milk and honey.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking