Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Demarerra sugar

saweetie

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 4:21 pm
Is demarrera sugar in Israel, the same as "Sugar in the Raw" in America?

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 5:07 pm
I know demerara sugar from UK but I have never seen it in USA...dont know about israel sorry.

lst

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 2:29 am
no, "sugar in the raw" in Israel is sugar cane (קנים)

5*Mom

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 3:03 am
Demarara sugar here is just granulated brown sugar (which is just white sugar with caramel coloring and maybe a bit of molasses).

Strawberry2

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:24 am
5*Mom wrote:
Demarara sugar here is just granulated brown sugar (which is just white sugar with caramel coloring and maybe a bit of molasses).

You're talking about light brown sugar?
are you trying to say that it's not healthy?

5*Mom

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:30 am
Yes, the Demarara sugar that I buy here is granulated light brown sugar. Not trying to say anything about its health status, just conveying what the ingredients are, which presumably someone looking for raw sugar would want to know.

Liba

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:30 am
5*Mom wrote:

I buy mine from my very knowledgeable health food store owner and what he sells is organic raw brown sugar. The texture is much much different than white sugar, even the stuff in the grocery store is coarser by far than regular white sugar. Where did you get this information?

Strawberry2

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:38 am
Why wouldn't it have to say it in the ingredients?

5*Mom

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:41 am
I used to buy it from the supermarket (don't remember which brand) and stopped when a friend pointed out the ingredients to me. Maybe there are different kinds. I'd recommend reading ingredients then.

Liba

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:43 am
Elzan brand Demerara Sugar package says, "Raw cane brown Demerara Sugar, natural. Contains natural sugar"

anonymrs

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:44 am
I just checked Sugat demerrara sugar and it says cane sugar that is not "mezukak" (I don't know what that means.) But there are no other ingredients besides for sugar.

Liba

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:46 am
anonymrs wrote:
I just checked Sugat demerrara sugar and it says cane sugar that is not "mezukak" (I don't know what that means.) But there are no other ingredients besides for sugar.

mezukak means refined.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:51 am
Liba wrote:
anonymrs wrote:

mezukak means refined.

Liba

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:54 am
Smile So does anyone else have a container of Demerara sugar on hand so they can read us the ingredients? So far two for two have been just raw (unrefined) sugar.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 8:22 am
Here is what an internet search turned up on the topic. Hope it helps.

Natural brown sugar is brown sugar made by partially refining sugar cane extract, whereas most brown sugar is made by adding molasses to fully refined sugar, which may come from sugar beet.
Golden coloured natural brown sugar is produced by extracting the juice from sugar cane, heating it to evaporate water and crystallise the sugar, then spinning in a centrifuge to remove some impurities and further dry the sugar. It is commonly used in baking and to sweeten beverages such as coffee and tea.

Demerara sugar
In the United Kingdom, this sugar is typically sold as demerara sugar, after the Demerara colony in Guyana. This was the original source of the sugar, although most of it is now produced in Mauritius.[citation needed]

Turbinado sugar
In the United States, a similar sugar is commonly called turbinado sugar, after the centrifuges or turbines in which it is spun.[1] In the United States, most turbinado sugar is produced in Hawaii and is often sold as an organic product. There are slight differences in taste between turbinado and demerara sugar.[2] A third, somewhat lighter, type is produced in Mexico under the name Azucar Morena[3]
These types of natural brown sugar are typically paler and drier than what is normally sold as brown sugar, and have larger crystals, particularly turbinado sugar.
Muscovado sugar, or "Barbados sugar", is an unrefined, darker natural brown sugar that is produced without spinning in a centrifuge.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking