Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Please give me tips
Previous  1  2

cindy324

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 2:38 pm
I agree that a Costco membership is probably not worth it, unless you're afamily of 10, then maybe. But you can get almost as good a deal at target or walmart on diapers and wipes, especially if you're gonna buy the store brand, which like GR said , are just as good as some premium brands. You can buy a huge pack for $12-$13. Wipes in target are about $5 for a refill pack of 3! Go to any supermarket and start buying store brand cereals, which are HONESTLY as good as the brand names for literally half the price!As far as groceries go, I usually will do my major shopping in Friedman's, lots of good deals every week.KRM is also good.

gryp

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 2:44 pm
Target wipes are the cheapest best wipes ive seen anywhere. I buy them by the case there.

I buy Kemach cereals which are really cheap and have great nutrition!

tziviakayla

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 3:03 pm
Libraries usually have fun activities for little kids. Parks and playgrounds, too.

Before you buy big cans of food and think you are saving money, check the price on the smaller ones. Many time the same amount of food in the smaller ones is actually cheaper!

Buy as much generic as you can. A lot of Wal-Mart's grocery items are kosher.

Instead of buying tissues for Shabbos, rip toilet paper instead. It is so much cheaper! In fact, we keep a basket of ripped toilet paper all week long for things like runny noses. Unless someone has a really bad cold, we don't buy tissues.

Buy plain paper towels...and generic too...the ones with patterns cost more!

Check out thrift stores for children's clothes. I have found so many clothes for my kids with the price tags still on them from when they were originally purchased. Also, see if someone has hand-me-downs from their children to give to you. This helped us greatly when DH was in Kollel

Save eating out for special occasions...birthdays, anniversaries.

Go to the dollar store before purchasing household items in a regular store. I get things like laundry baskets and trash cans there.

To make a little money on the side, consider tutoring kids who need extra help. You can stay at home and have no chidcare costs!

Get rid of credit cards!

aussiegal

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 4:54 am
Don't use paper towels so much - use old shirts/undershirts/underwear as shmattes and wash them instead.

sarahd

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 5:33 am
You took the words right out of my mouth, aussiegal. We use paper towels only for draining fried foods. Spills get wiped up with shmattes.

nicole81

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 10:03 am
thanks everyone so much for the ideas. I think this is really a blessing in disguise. dh never wanted me to sah because he was worried about the money, but it seems that my job made that decision for us. the money is definitely there, we just never utilized it properly.

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 1:58 pm
about the cheaper diapers and wipes-
I tried the VERY CHEAP parents choice diapers and wipes sold in walmart and they were great for about a day, then they started giving DD a diaper rash. she has very sensitive skin. the only wipes that are gentle enough for her are Pampers Sensitive skin...which are 3$ a container-.and I can only use the more expensive Luvs or pampers. bummer. Confused

anyone found a generic brand of wipes or diapers that did not irritate very sensitive baby tushies?

chen

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 2:24 pm
Ditch the disposables and the convenience foods.
Shop with cash only.
Skip red meat and have poultry only on shabbos/YT. Go vegetarian during the week.
Plan your menus, and thus your shopping list, around the weekly specials in the supermarket, not the other way around.
Learn to sew and do alterations and repairs yourself.
Buy washables instead of dry-clean-only.
Shop for clothes & washable toys in thrift shops.
Save something--even if it's $2--every week, right off the top of the paycheck. Bank, don't spend, any rebates, refunds, gifts or other "extra" moneys.
Cancel for refund or don't renew subscriptions. Borrow books & pubs from the library instead.
Reduce-reuse-recycle. It's better for the planet and better for the budget.

Before buying anything, calculate how long dh has to work to earn it, and consider whether it's worth that much of his effort.

eliana

Post Thu, Oct 12 2006, 11:34 am
chen wrote:

Before buying anything, calculate how long dh has to work to earn it, and consider whether it's worth that much of his effort.

that really works!

chen

Post Thu, Oct 12 2006, 2:55 pm
MommyLuv wrote:

anyone found a generic brand of wipes or diapers that did not irritate very sensitive baby tushies?

yes--it's called plain warm tap water on a shmatte--or a tissue if you insist on disposing rather than washing. Kiddies do not need anything more than that, except maybe a bit of Dove soap for really stubborn goo.

shlishka

Post Thu, Oct 12 2006, 4:30 pm
CVS brand has sensitive skin baby wipes. I'm sure they are cheaper than Pampers.
For those that bake using dry yeast, Sam's Club has a double vaacum packed yeast that is equal to at least four jars for under $4! It is probably 90% cheaper rhan using the envelopes. They might have it in Costco as well.
Some other items really cheap in warehouse stores are tissues, box drinks, eggs, and ready made pizza dough w/ sauce - 3 in a pack - similar to the Ungers, but much cheaper.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics