Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ADHD and agression? depression?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 9:05 pm
Just wondering if these conditions can co-exist?

5 yo DS has ADHD but I'm pretty sure there's something more going on... He's super aggressive and sometimes looks so sad...

amother

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 10:11 pm
adhd kids are a lot of times aggressive. also they can be depressed. they don't always co-exist. but they can. if you medicate there are some meds that can help with depression, some meds that help with anxiety etc. the standard ritalin is not the type of meds, its the non stimulents for adhd that are helpful for other things, a psychiatrist/pediatrician can help if meds is the route you wish to take, but even if meds are not the way you want to go, a professional should still be in the picture if you think something is going on for adhd alone but especially if depression etc is also there.

markmywords

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 4:19 pm
Definitely, they can co-exist.
Children with ADHD often have a hard time reading social cues and because of additional issues with impulsivity, frequently cross boundaries that make other kids uncomfortable. As such, they often suffer social rejection. Additionally, difficulty focusing in the classroom and distractibilty can cause teachers to become disapproving. The challenges of becoming disciplined at home with homework and other responsibilities can lead to a lot of stress and yelling. In essence, imagine the life of a child who is rejected and criticized regularly. Naturally, they would not be happy. That's why they need a lot of intervention and support. Giving extra love, whenever possible, and tempering the criticisms can help a lot, but won't solve the issues.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 3:17 am
I also think my adhd son misunderstands thing and gets depressed.
I have to be so careful how I talk to him as he takes things wrong and makes negative things that I never meant as negative.

(also for example if I say who colored on the wall and I know it's my 2 year old - he will already think I'm accusing him even though there are a number of kids in the room)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)