Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Why can't they just say it??

amother

Post Sat, Jan 07 2012, 11:13 pm
My 4 yo son has all the typical ADHD symptoms. He's had them all his life. They don't seem to be getting better as he matures. I've always suspected he had ADHD but never said anything. His impulsivity has gotten so out of hand that his pediatrician insisted on a psycho evaluation. Basically the psychologist who did it said he SEEMS to have ADHD but she can't officially diagnose him until he's 6.

So we're sort of back to square one. His therapist says we can implement some behavioral modifications that are usually used on children with ADHD (which we were already doing) but medicating him is totally out of the question at least until he's 6.

Now from what I've read, most ADHD meds help with impulsivity but not distractibility. Which is great bc impulsivity is his biggest issue by FAR.

So why can't you medicate someone until they're six? what magical transformation happens then??

I don't get it.

I should add, he also tested as gifted, which kind of amplifies the problem because he's AWARE he can't focus and gets depressed he can't control his impulses. Why wouldn't I give him everything to help him???

amother

Post Sat, Jan 07 2012, 11:33 pm
My son is on meds for adhd he is 3

amother

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 12:02 am
Side effects can occur with the drugs, and, according to some studies, these effects are more common in younger children. Side effects can include slowing growth, insomnia, and mood disturbances. Most studies that have been done with these drugs do not include such young children, so long term effects are not known. All kids' brains are still developing, but the younger the child, the more issues there may be with the drugs' effects on that development. Also, kids before the age of six are considered preschool age, so ADHD behaviors should be able to managed in an appropriate environment, rather than expecting the more controlled behavior often considered necessary in the later school years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)