Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Help me with new diet -very low sugar and only complex carbs

amother

Post Sat, Jan 07 2012, 1:39 pm
I'm supposed to be changing my lifestyle for health reasons - going from a big nosher to cutting out the sweets and minimizing bad carbs.... but I'm hungry!
any ideas for meals and most importantly for healthy snacks

Raisin

Post Sat, Jan 07 2012, 2:19 pm
frozen fruit is a yummy snack, assuming you are allowed fruit. I love grapes and cherries. And they are cheaper frozen too.

Happy18

Post Sat, Jan 07 2012, 3:10 pm
I was recently put on a low carb, low sugar diet still trying to figure it out so I would love to know what people suggest.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Jan 07 2012, 3:11 pm
I have been trying to stay off sugar completely and have found nuts (I specifically like almonds and cashews) to be filling and also tasty (it may take a little while to get to like them, but once I did, they became almost addictive Smile )

NaturalMom

Post Sat, Jan 07 2012, 3:14 pm
Protein, lots of protein. Snack on sunflower seeds, almonds, walnuts, pecans, cheese, eggs, sliced turkey breast, sardines, herring. On that sort of diet, you will probably need to eat some protein every 3 hours. Put avocado in your salad to fill you up, or slices of chicken.

ewa-jo

Post Sat, Jan 07 2012, 3:36 pm
Edamame!!!

Best snack ever... piles of protein, low in calories, easy to prepare... boil the edamame for a few minutes, drain and sprinkle with seasoning salt.

http://caloriecount.about.com/.....11853

I eat a bag of edamame as a meal.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 07 2012, 3:49 pm
snack on roasted veggies. they are delicious straight out of the oven.

OutATowner

Post Sat, Jan 07 2012, 5:20 pm
*Chickpeas are great. Eat them plain or in a salad with cucumbers, red onion, peppers- yum and very filling!
*Mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes
*Lots of soups- veggie/barley, pureed- possibilities are endless
*Quinoa! endless possibilities! great pasta alternative
*brown rice with roasted veggies
*zucchini slices, baked- can sprinkle on some mozzarella cheese if you want
*ratatouille- serve with tilapia, chicken, almost any protein
*green beans, carrots, pepper strips
*whole wheat crackers and chummus (if ww flour is ok)
*tuna stuffed peppers
*homemade granola
*protein shakes if you're into that
will post more next time.
Good luck and great job taking care of your health!

NaturalMom

Post Sat, Jan 07 2012, 5:25 pm
Spaghetti squash is another great pasta alternative! You can use it in any recipe instead of pasta. Here's a great example:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/s.....sh-I/

pina colada

Post Sat, Jan 07 2012, 6:58 pm
baby carrots
sliced peppers, cucumbers
chickpeas
chestnuts (if you can have that)
nuts-my kids like walnuts, cashews, almonds
sunflower seeds
fresh fruit such as clementines
rice cake, whole grain squares

sarachana

Post Sat, Jan 07 2012, 8:45 pm
just want to let you know op, that the hunger you are feeling is the blood sugar cycle and after a few days your hunger will diminish a lot and you will start wanting and being more satisfied from protein and veggies....and good carbs Smile

amother

Post Sat, Jan 07 2012, 9:45 pm
Suzzane Somer's Eat, Cheat and Melt the fat away, is very easy to follow. Lots of varieties. you may eat unlimited amounts of food. No weighing nor measuring. Complex carbohydrates and proteins are part of the diet. Lots of yummy recipes in the book. No diet ever worked for me. Am a compulsive nasher... This one worked!!

OutATowner

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 6:37 am
What's the diet if there is unlimited foods, etc? What are the guidelines that make it her specific diet/lifestyle?
Is there a list of "forbidden foods" and everything else is unlimited? It's cheap on Amazon. Might get it, just want to know more about it.

OutATowner

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 6:59 am
I read reviews of the SS diet mentioned above. It looks very good but I don't think I can cut out the caffeine.
Anyway, op, here are some more ideas:
*slice or cube eggplant, bake, pour on sauce and mix in cottage cheese when done. Or you can make it like a lasagne.
*many jarred sauces have sugar. Make your own- canned tomato sauce, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, basil, add a little salsa if that suits your taste. You can add diced tomatoes if you want the texture without the spice.
*plain yogurts can be dressed up in many ways. Grape nuts and cinnamon, Kashi Crunch cereals are excellent, Walden Farms sugar free chocolate syrup makes it taste like a pudding.
*cottage cheese and sliced banana
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking