Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Guest Room Dilemma - WWYD
Previous  1  2

What's better 2 Full size beds or 2 Twin Size Trundles?
2 full size mattress & box springs (sleeps 2-4)  
 26%  [ 12 ]
2 twin size trundles / daybeds (sleeps 4)  
 69%  [ 32 ]
Other (please explain)  
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 46

aidelmaidel

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 3:50 pm
singleagain wrote:
I voted from the home page, and didn't realize this was abt a guest room... it kinda changes my answer to "other"

I would say, consider the type of ppl you host, and are you going to have it set up in between....

b/c to be honest, even though it does look pretty, if it's been set up for a month, I'd would not want to sleep on sheets that have been set for that long, then again, I don't set beds for ppl, until the night before or morning of their arrival. [the one time I set the bed at start of week, and covered with a flat sheet so I could pull it off, someone took of sheet and sat on the made bed]

We will probably have sleeping guests once a week or every other week and I have a cleaning lady every week. It's easier for us to have the beds already made for last minute guests (which frequently happens).

Quote:
however, you said the room has no closet... before you furnish it, you have a possible opportunity to build a closet in or out... even just a small one, with some space to hang items and the other half with shelves. you could also go bigger with a closet

just a random thought to think about (also, compare the price of something like that, to the price of a dresser, if it's around the same price, I say build the closet, b/c (a) better resale on the house and (b) what if you end up needing another place to stick the kids...)

I agree, just it's a tight space to build a closet.

Quote:
as to the rest of furniture, I agree with ppl who say no crib, besides for all of their reasons, kids grow out of cribs, and most parents who know they need it, pack it, at least from what I've gathered.

I don't quite see the need for chairs and table or dresser--espec if you look into building a closet--- but I could be missing pieces.

I think I've started to lean towards pack and play, if only the reason to save space. We saw the room again today and it's smaller than the floor plan says, so I wouldn't actually be able to do the fulls with the table and chairs. so the table and chairs are out.

Quote:
and the only other thing I would suggest, no matter which way you choose to go in the end, please please don't put a night table in between the beds... what if you have the kavod to host someone who's mikvah night is that night, seeing a table in between, might deter her from going on the night.

and espec with trundle, it's easy for the couple to move the beds several inches apart, if that is what their needs are. not so much with bigger beds, ppl might like space, and if they need a separation, I'd say, put a body pillow on the bed, so they can put it in between as a reminder.

(that's what I used to do, but mainly b/c our room was a tight fit with the beds already, so we stuck a long body pillow in between the beds)

It's our minhag in chabad to have davka a piece of furniture in between the beds at all times (night table, floor lamp, etc.). If I have two full size beds, then I should hope if the guests need the mikvah, that the full size beds will be sufficient for their needs! I can't imagine pushing two full size beds together. I can't imagine that would deter anyone from going to the mikvah - we would have two big beds partially for that reason. I would never put a couple in a room with just one bed.

We do have a twin air mattress that we use occasionally, but I'm trying to make the room mentchlick.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 3:57 pm
I never had bigger than a twin bed for myself. I don't think bigger beds are necessary. Get an extra long twin if the kids are tall. Good luck finding sheets, though.

singleagain

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 4:00 pm
ah.. didn't realize abt your minhag.. I can respect that... but that means, that the trundle's would bot be out all the time? just, as a user of a trundle bed.... it can be very easy to have stuff fall under it, ... actually, this gives me an idea to maybe help for space, IF trundles are going to be always be open and out, you can buy at like a target/walmart type store these long, flat "under the bed" 'storage boxes' ... this way you don't have to worry abt a dresser nessecarily... or you can get a smaller dresser but still have extra space

or, if a bigger dresser fits fine, (and I'd suugest a dresser with hanging and shelf space) maybe you can get extra mattresses adn store them under the beds, for suddenly larger that realized group of singles...

and re the closet, even in tight space... you can prob get away with like a cloth sort of closet thing... might be cheaper then other furniture... I mean, wouldn't the closet be instead of a like a tall dresser or something...

gah, I wish I could seee your room, it would be so much easier for me to give suggestions

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 8:57 pm
Would you consider giving your girls more room and only moving them together when guests come. I don't know how old your girls are and how many; but they might enjoy their own room. I understand that your stepchildren would prefer their own room; but is it the most efficient use of space to leave that much space vacant most of the time?

I don't think you can store things under the bed. You would have to check with your Rabbi. I know mine would not allow this. I thought the two bed with the dresser in between was halacha.

aidelmaidel

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 12:58 am
Squishy wrote:
Would you consider giving your girls more room and only moving them together when guests come. I don't know how old your girls are and how many; but they might enjoy their own room. I understand that your stepchildren would prefer their own room; but is it the most efficient use of space to leave that much space vacant most of the time?

I don't think you can store things under the bed. You would have to check with your Rabbi. I know mine would not allow this. I thought the two bed with the dresser in between was halacha.

While my girls are almost 8 and 9.5yo, and the 9.5yo is asking for her own room, I don't think they will ultimately be happy being apart. The 8yo is very afraid to be "alone". I can acknowledge as they get older they will want separate rooms, and that *might* happen, but it isn't happening anytime soon. My stepkids are 14yo girl and 17yo boy and they definitely DON'T want to share a room.

If I did two trundle beds they would be lined up both on the long wall on the left side and I would pull out the trundles as needed and move them to the right side so you could walk between the beds.

aidelmaidel

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 1:00 am
singleagain wrote:
ah.. didn't realize abt your minhag.. I can respect that... but that means, that the trundle's would bot be out all the time? just, as a user of a trundle bed.... it can be very easy to have stuff fall under it, ... actually, this gives me an idea to maybe help for space, IF trundles are going to be always be open and out, you can buy at like a target/walmart type store these long, flat "under the bed" 'storage boxes' ... this way you don't have to worry abt a dresser nessecarily... or you can get a smaller dresser but still have extra space

or, if a bigger dresser fits fine, (and I'd suugest a dresser with hanging and shelf space) maybe you can get extra mattresses adn store them under the beds, for suddenly larger that realized group of singles...

and re the closet, even in tight space... you can prob get away with like a cloth sort of closet thing... might be cheaper then other furniture... I mean, wouldn't the closet be instead of a like a tall dresser or something...

gah, I wish I could seee your room, it would be so much easier for me to give suggestions

I would have the trundles put away unless they were being used. We generally don't store things under the bed because "that's where lilith lives". I do need a small dresser there for my step kids to keep clothes in (pajamas, shabbos clothes, etc).

aidelmaidel

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 1:01 am
We saw the room today, the floor plan we had was inaccurate. It's more like 8 or 9 feet across and about 16 feet long. My DH feels strongly that the big kids would want full size beds, but that will take up almost the whole room.

So not sure what we're going to do at the moment...

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 1:14 am
aidelmaidel wrote:
We saw the room today, the floor plan we had was inaccurate. It's more like 8 or 9 feet across and about 16 feet long. My DH feels strongly that the big kids would want full size beds, but that will take up almost the whole room.

Sounds great. Is the wall in the second spareroom something that can easily be taken down?

Keep us posted. Hatzloucha

singleagain

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 9:08 am
aidelmaidel wrote:
singleagain wrote:

I would have the trundles put away unless they were being used. We generally don't store things under the bed because "that's where lilith lives". I do need a small dresser there for my step kids to keep clothes in (pajamas, shabbos clothes, etc).

excuse my ignorance, I haven't really heard abt lilith... wwhat's that story?

also... all I'm saying abt the closet is that it can be in place of the dresser.... that way you have place to hang things like shabbat clothes, and shelves to put pj's on

aidelmaidel wrote:

here's one thing I suggest you do, first applaud your husband on being sensative to kids needs.
but have you really explained the space delima, so he understands it
it could also be that he is a visual person, I know I am... which is why this half frustrates me, b/c I'd llooooooooooove to help, but cannot see it...

therefore, I'd say, find the measurements of the big beds/the trundles/the furniture, etc and use chalk to draw it out for him on the floor,

"if we put two big beds here ... look at how little space there is for xyz" "if we put those beds on the other side, still almost no space" etc. "if we have trundles, they can go here and space for xyz, or it can go this way"

maybe if he sees it drawn out, he'll understand better...

oh and wait one sec .. my mom sent me this http://www.easyclosets.com/Clo.....FINED b/c she wants to build me a closet, not that there's space on my walls... but.. maybe this will help, you might be able to get the space of a dresser and more if you look around this site
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics