Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Need advice about my cake!!!

shopaholic

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 10:46 am
Ok, my friend is having her Shabbos Kallah this Friday night & I wanted to make a nice cake for her. I decided to do the nut cake with coffee cream from KBD which I've made 100 times before. Prblem is, I beat the egg whites, set them aside & did the rest. Then I forgot to put the egg whites in before I baked the 2 round cakes. They seem to have come out fine, just a little more shallow & less spongy, but definitel not too heavy or dense.

DH says, start over. I said, "But there are 9 eggs in it!" He said, "So how much does a dozen eggs cost?" don't know. Maybe they'll taste ok.

What do you think?

elkayed

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 10:49 am
It's a pain in the neck, but I would do it again...if you are gonna do it, do it right..plus all these other people are eating it..and you want it to be perfect..Its not like its for your family and its ok if it's not perfect...

rivki

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 11:39 am
you can freeze the less than perfect cakes for another time to make a trifle out of; and make another perfect cake for this week. that way you dont waste the cakes, but you can also be proud of what you bring.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 11:44 am
put the cake in the a trifle bowl, layer with cream and fruit and u have a great dessert!

chen

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 11:48 am
well, you said it seems fine except that the texture is a bit different. What matters is not what it's "supposed to be like" but how it IS. If it tastes fine and feels fine, just different from the usual, don't tell anyone that this is your famous nut cake with coffee cream from KBD. It's a nut cake, period. Some nut cakes are high and light, and some nut cakes are low and dense. call it a nut "mousse" or a nut torte if it makes you happy. Tortes are by definition low-rise and dense.

You'd be surprised how many famous and well-received chefs' recipes are the serendipitous results of such mistakes. I'd recommend a book called Don't try this at home : culinary catastrophes from the world's greatest chefs--except there is a lot of profanity in there, so I won't.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 11:55 am
Thanks everyone. Chen your advice was great, but to be on the safe side, I'll freeze what I have, maybe make a trifle as suggested for dessert (I need a dessert & I have tons of canned fruit I need to use up.) & I'll make a new one.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 11:58 am
Hm....let me try a piece, then I'll let you know.....Mazel Tov on the friend, btw!

shopaholic

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 12:30 pm
Thanks. I wanted to taste it, but obviously I won't be able to use it then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins