Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Taking in skirts - lost weight

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 2:31 pm
I am turning to the ImaMothers for opinions; you have always helped me in the past.

The question is - to tailor anything? Any idea how much it would cost to take in a skirt?

Can an elastic waist skirt even be taken in? What about all the extra material, I lost more than 5 inches in my hips and at least five more in my stomach...

At the end of 2004, I had to lose weight and lost 20 lbs. This summer, when I moved, I lost another 12; most of which I kept off. I certainly talk about it enough; so I asume everyone knows. I went from a 10/12 to a 4/6.

Some would be happy and go shopping. Yes, I often shop and look at catalogues and the first thing I did was to get myself everyday navy and black skirts. I've also gotten a few thing for Shabbos and new summer stuff.

The brown skirt I got still doesn't fit - I'm mad fussy with clothes, and I'm finding that I can't get things small enough....oh, and there's the matter of me having wide hips so if it fits in the waist, it doesn't in the hips......

However, I have a lot of 2-piece outfits that just don't fit anymore, I sewed slips in some of them to keep them on. Others I pinned with a safety pin. I'm not that crazy about using safety pins, by the way. It's certainly not comfortable for very long!

As time goes on, I'll get some new things IYH. My mom said she'd suggest just wearing what fits, and keeping the others stuff if I gain the weight back, but at this point I've kept it off for a good while.

I guess we can never predict the future.........I tend to buy classic styles, nothing trendy at all, so I suppose my clothes will still be in style whenever they fit me again!

So - the question - tailor? Move on?

Thanks everyone...

chen

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 2:52 pm
Skirts can definitely be tailored, in the most amazing ways, it's a just a question of whether or not it's worth it. If the item was expensive, in mint condition, you love it, and it would be hard or impossible to find an equivalent, it's an unusual color that matches something else just perfectly, yadda yadda, then of course it's worthwhile. If it's somewhat shopworn, nondescript, cheap, easily replaced, can be found on any street corner, and/or requires truly extensive tailoring (few skirts will--a jacket is a different story entirely) then why bother?

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 2:56 pm
If you are just going to end up buying a whole new wardrobe, and you still like your old stuff, then it's probably cheaper in the long run to just take everything in.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 3:50 pm
I wouldn't buy a LOT of new things; I'm too fussy for that!

I always am on the lookout for cute two piece outfits, though.

Nothing I have is so expensive or amazing.....guess it's back to the safety pins for a while...

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics